Descriptive Grading in Schools

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Descriptive Grading in Schools

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 5th, 2023, 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Middle School seems like a new thing. When I was in school it was elementary school to grade 7 and junior high was 8-9, and high school was 10-12. That all changed about 15 years ago when all the schools switched from junior high to middle school. Maybe a distinction without a difference, I don't know. perhaps it was follow the Americans. We LOVE copying the USA in Canada. Last year I noticed Vernon was doing a super American thing by changing all the 4-way stop signs to "all way stop" signs.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Junior high and middle school are the same - depends maybe on what part of the country you're from.
LeroyJ
Fledgling

Post by LeroyJ »

We had K-8 for elementary school and 9-12 for high school. Some small towns just do K-12 all in one school.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote: May 1st, 2023, 10:47 am Last year I noticed Vernon was doing a super American thing by changing all the 4-way stop signs to "all way stop" signs.
That's because a majority of Americans can't count to 4. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

GordonH wrote: Apr 30th, 2023, 8:08 pm
Fancy wrote: Apr 30th, 2023, 6:33 pm
Thought high school started at grade 10.
I guess I’m from the Dark ages… elementary school I went to was 1 to 7 then off to high school 8 to 12.
When I was in grade 6, grade 7 was high school.
The following year grade 7 was moved to elementary school. I was ripped off. :-X
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Seems to change every decade.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Configuration is different in different districts, and sometimes more related to availability in school buildings and student numbers.

Pity the staff dealing solely with grade 7-8, like they were in one district I was in...
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

rustled wrote: May 4th, 2023, 6:29 pm Pity the staff dealing solely with grade 7-8, like they were in one district I was in...
Isn't that when puberty kicks in and hormones are a raging? Or at least the start of it.

Gawd, poor teachers, school full of raging hormones.

I figure the school boards hire university grads that have been taught by profs that have been perhaps ostracized in some way while they were going to school and for 4 years instill some kind of fluffy nonsense to the grads.
These grads now at the school boards change things around to satisfy snowflake students and perhaps even parents where everyone gets a ribbon. Don't want to traumatize anyone that is not working for any positive results.

My Dad went to school in Britain during the war and after, during our equivalent of post secondary ( after national service), mentioned the schooling was not the best but he managed.
I went to school in the 60's to the mid 70's and what I was bringing home for homework was easy peasy for him, especially maths and physics.
On many occasions he mentioned that the teachers were soft and the kids are learning nothing for future endeavors.
I could say the same when my kids went to school in the 90's and my brother with his second set of kids say much of the material in schools today could be considered pablum.
I do wonder how teachers are going to prepare students today for the world where if you don't produce you are sent down the road.
Is fluffy comments on a report card going to do that?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

seewood wrote: May 4th, 2023, 9:42 pm
rustled wrote: May 4th, 2023, 6:29 pm Pity the staff dealing solely with grade 7-8, like they were in one district I was in...
Isn't that when puberty kicks in and hormones are a raging? Or at least the start of it.

Gawd, poor teachers, school full of raging hormones.
Yup. Takes some real dedication to work in an environment where the entire student body is in the throes of puberty.
seewood wrote: I figure the school boards hire university grads that have been taught by profs that have been perhaps ostracized in some way while they were going to school and for 4 years instill some kind of fluffy nonsense to the grads.
These grads now at the school boards change things around to satisfy snowflake students and perhaps even parents where everyone gets a ribbon. Don't want to traumatize anyone that is not working for any positive results.

My Dad went to school in Britain during the war and after, during our equivalent of post secondary ( after national service), mentioned the schooling was not the best but he managed.
I went to school in the 60's to the mid 70's and what I was bringing home for homework was easy peasy for him, especially maths and physics.
On many occasions he mentioned that the teachers were soft and the kids are learning nothing for future endeavors.
I could say the same when my kids went to school in the 90's and my brother with his second set of kids say much of the material in schools today could be considered pablum.
I do wonder how teachers are going to prepare students today for the world where if you don't produce you are sent down the road.
Is fluffy comments on a report card going to do that?
Nope. Your father was right, IMO. The shift began happening while we were still in public school. I recall the tensions between the older teachers and those fresh out of university, with the older teachers concerned about the erosion of standards and the increasing emphasis on participation in social activities. When my kids were little most of my friends were teachers, and the few who took seriously whether or not their students mastered the material were outnumbered by those already under the influence of the "new thinking" about what public education should focus on.

I've been reading James Lindsay's book on this topic, about the influence of Paulo Freire's theories about pedagogy and how heavily his work has influenced public education.

The bottom line is, the mastery of core academic curriculum is no longer the objective of public education. Which is why so many parents are turning to alternatives.

And in my experience, talking to our public school trustees about this is like talking to someone who believes so strongly they are doing God's work, they're impervious to the consequences of their actions, and whole-heartedly embracing the shift from education to activism at the expense of education. Mark Twain's stinging rebuke is disappointingly relevant.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I remember when they started marking tests in curves so the not to leave any student behind :(
Did they stop allowing grade skipping?
Elementary was to grade 6, then junior 7 to 9, then the big league 10 to 12
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

In the small burg I went to high school at, elementary was 1-7 and highschool was 8-12. Kids were bussed in from 2 hours away for the latter.

It seems to me as though academia is changing, turning into a lovefest instead of actually promoting education. Everyone gets validated, but few actually learn.
I haven't failed until I quit.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Descriptive Grading in Schools :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The grading I got in school was pretty descriptive...F minus!

I knew I would get a beating when I got home... :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
strongarm242
Fledgling

Post by strongarm242 »

This is a stupid idea considering they need to revert back to letter and/or percentage grades when entering high school. Why make the change for middle school? Are they worried about hurting someone's feelings in middle school when they're flunking school? Little Johnny goes home with a "developing" grade when in actuality he's getting a "D" or worse. Maybe the harsh reality of a poor letter grade is what's needed to wake up the parents and help their kid start to improve.

To me there are two things driving this stupid concept. Worrying about hurting some kids feelings from the snowflake generation, and taking away more accountability from teachers.

Return to “Social Concerns”