Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Queen K »

And plant a decoy garden to fatten them up and develop an orange sauce.

FREE: squirrels. And Red-Wing blackbirds, which are busy cleaning out every sunflower seed.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

UH oh, as grateful for the rain as I am, I was just out there and turned over a bit of dirt in a raised bed. It was dry a quarter inch down. I did something unfamilar since early June, I dipped the watering can into the rain barrel and filled it up to pour over the tomato bed. I have to do that now for all of them. Jus' saying.

But oh does the air smell better out there! Much better. Last night it was like wet ashtray, this morning is better.

How are things going for everyone anyways?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:How are things going for everyone anyways?

I'm glad I got the new garden in before the dirt got wet! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

It smells so GOOD today! :D And my yard looks not quite so brittle now :up:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thanks to the rain my new enterprise of selling aerosole cans of fresh air is now on hold. :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Maybe it's your avatar? :200:

Just investigated the garden. The new rain and cooler temps are invigorating the plants unlike any spraying from any garden hose ever could.

So excited to see tomatoes ripening on the vine again. We will be making more roasted tomatoes and freezing some too.

Slootman? Are you around? I've got one great red pepper from your pepper plants. Ya hooo Will pick it today.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Just wondering if any of you on here who live up in Glenrosa need any basil...We have so much basil this year (4 - 4 Liter bags picked) and rather than it just go to waste, I would like to give it to anyone who would want some. I am just cutting it off the above the root and it will be in a shopping bag for you to take home. There is Thai, Lemon, Original and Cinnamon all mixed together. Please let me know... we would like it gone asap. Easiest way to freeze is to pick off the stem, wash and freeze in sandwich bag sizes... then just crumble as you need while it is frozen.

**All gone now :) hated to compost it, we just have so much of everything this year..and no more room, so it was nice to share it**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/compos ... haulms.htm

:-X My potato tops didn't have potatos on the bottom. So now I had to google "composting potato tops" and it seems to be okay. I spent an entire Summer watering compost with no food value in huge raised bed. :cuss:
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

What variety spuds were ya growing?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It was a German Yellow and I had a red Pontiac. I am sure it was the extended heat that did them in. I suppose I could have let them keep growing right til frost and gotten a tad more. However they're in a raised bed I want to plant the garlic in.

I am pulling more plants as I see they won't be giving anything. I want to get the raised beds topped with Nature's Gold this Fall.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Picked another 6-8 cups of Raspberries today. :up:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Harvested a lot of fresh, young lettuce this morning, and lots of green onion tops and radishes. Lovely salad with a small steak for dinner. Made my day!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
klc

Post by klc »

I've been enjoying all my tomatoes - beefsteak & cherry - here in Rutland, but now the nights are getting colder. There aren't too many ripe beefsteak tomatos on the plants, just tons of green tomatos

Do you think I can leave them to ripen in the garden for another week or two? Or will frost hit them before they can ripen anyways?

They're in a community garden too far from home for me to cover / uncover every night, so they'd have to take their chances naked.

Opinions please!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Let them get a much sun as possible, pick them all and then google "green tomato recipes". We like Green tomato cake and fried green tomatoes with bread crumbs. But there are more.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

And pick off any tiny ones that aren't going to make it.
Let the plant put the energy into the bigger ones.
Ditto for your peppers.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”