Appliance Replacements

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

Appliance Replacements

Postby Glacier » May 14th, 2018, 3:42 pm

I was in the appliance story asking if they'd fix my shot bearings in my washing machine, and they flat out told me that front loaders only last 11 years, so get a new one since it's already like 8 years old. Screw that! I fixed it myself (thank you YouTube videos).

Anyway, when you google these things they will tell you that you should basically be replacing an appliance every year. In my house I have 2 ranges, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, 2 washing machines, 2 driers, etc. That's over 10 appliances, meaning you should be spending $1000/year to be replacing every 10 years, which is complete bunk. What do they mean about them only lasting 10 to 15 years? I mean, I took my washing machine apart, and it was all in perfect condition except for the bearings. I replaced those along with the seal and tub gasket for a total of $70, and think it should be good for another 8 to 10 years. Then I'll do it again for another 8 to 10 years.

Things are built to last as far as I can tell, but people don't have time these days to fix them themselves, so they just buy new. That seems like a crying shame and such a waste. Maybe instead of carbon taxing everyone up the wazoo, they could teach simple appliance repair in schools. That would go farther than a tax at saving the environment, and you'll save money in the process.

3 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 9809 posts

Re: Appliance Replacements

Postby vegas1500 » May 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm

What brand of front loader do you have? How hard was it to pull apart?
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 1603 posts

Postby Bsuds » May 14th, 2018, 6:26 pm

vegas1500 wrote:What brand of front loader do you have? How hard was it to pull apart?

With the right tools you can take anything apart and with Yootoobe you can find instructions on pretty much anything as well.

We have 4 Samsung appliances in the kitchen and have had problems with 3 of them. LG washer and dryer and had a major problem with the washer. Nothing seems to be built to be reliable anymore.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11099 posts

Postby Glacier » May 14th, 2018, 9:28 pm

vegas1500 wrote:What brand of front loader do you have? How hard was it to pull apart?

It's a Whirlpool. It took me me probably 5 hours or more to take apart. Another 3 to put back together, but now I know what I'm doing, so could probably do it in half the time in the future. Also, the bearing set didn't arrive for a solid week, but thankfully we have two washers. It was a pretty involved process, but I paid $1200 for the thing new so feels like it was worth the effort.

You're probably wondering why the heck we'd have two sets. Well, we bought a place that came with them. It had two hook ups already installed, so we use both (we do a lot of laundry). Both sets have.broken down so glad we have both because it takes me a couple of weeks to get to the repairs. Wives don't exactly cope well with broken appliances and no back-up.

vegas1500 likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Bpeep » May 15th, 2018, 12:45 am

Bearings?
Or bushings?
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9767 posts

Postby Glacier » May 15th, 2018, 10:14 am

Bpeep wrote:Bearings?
Or bushings?

Bearings. This is how you replace the bearings (it varies slightly from model to model). Bearings plus seal for protecting inner bearing from water damage. These things:

And now the thing is running with hardly any noise. It was sounding like a jet engine for probably 5 years!

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby vegas1500 » May 15th, 2018, 10:38 am

Have replaced a lot of bearings in numerous things over the years. Found I could get most bearings, regardless of what they came from, from a good bearing house. Save some cash also.

3 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 1603 posts

Postby rustled » May 18th, 2018, 11:03 am

Glacier wrote:...
You're probably wondering why the heck we'd have two sets. Well, we bought a place that came with them. It had two hook ups already installed, so we use both (we do a lot of laundry). Both sets have.broken down so glad we have both because it takes me a couple of weeks to get to the repairs. Wives don't exactly cope well with broken appliances and no back-up.

"Wives" kind of explains why you'd need two sets of appliances.
:biggrin:
We've always fixed our stuff too. I've noticed over the years some appliances seem intentionally much more difficult to repair, though. Very wasteful.

Watch for the plastic slides (between the front edge of your dryer's drum and the housing) wearing out. When they wear through, the friction and imbalance puts more strain on the bearing.

Glacier likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 6640 posts

Return to Creative Endeavours