Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by Queen K »

Once again we wake on January 1 in a New Year eager for the snow to melt and see what we can do with all our gardening plans.

Will we wait long or will Winter end by March 1? We've had some surprisingly early years and some Spring frost disasters.

Bit of a guessing game. I guess we won't be able to get out there until March 19/22.

But this is the place to share seeds, share sale information, share cuttings, plants and just plain old be encouraged to even plant one to 100 new plants. Maybe turn your whole backyard into one huge garlic farm. Did you know blueberries grow well in the Okanagan? Did you see the price of blueberries? Imagine after the flood event now. Yup, the Okanagan is the place to grow!
When it's all and only fun and games, no one needs to censor you. Get close to an ugly truth though...
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'm going to be rethinking my yard.

With a pup now, I am discovering lots of things that require attention. Especially since he is a digger :/

Oak tree - acorns are bad for dogs, they contain tannins that can kill them. So far I've fenced it off and am hoping that works. There is grass under it, so it needs mowing but there are only acorns for a short period so I'm hoping that we don't need to cut it down, that we can just fence it for a few months at a time.

Plum tree - plum pits contain amygdalin which breaks down into hydrogen cyanide. Hydrogen cyanide is very poisonous and can kill a person (so dogs? NOPE).
https://thewholeportion.com/are-plum-pits-poisonous/
That I had fenced off. Considering whether to keep or cut. It tends to interfere with the corner of the house so I'm considering cutting it down.

Bulbs - poisonous so they'll have to go. Somewhere =_= Grape hyacinths are supposed to be okay, though.

Grapes though - Poisonous. So, the purple grape may get dug up. I fenced off the green grape (Himrod) because it produces so beautifully and It isn't super hard to contain. I think I can keep doing that.

I want to fix my back garden bed along the rear fence. There is a strip of land with some plants that gets pretty much full shade. I need to put some kind of edging down and put down landscape fabric and mulch.

Green tomatoes are supposed to be very toxic to dogs. I may forgo even planting tomatoes in pots this year.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

This could be a transitional year for us.

We are seriously giving some thought to downsizing, from a large house and yard to a condo. :200:
The change in yard work and gardening will be a shocker but one stipulation for the new home will be a large balcony. That will make or break any deals.

Blueberries. Hmm, one plant? We have twenty of them now.
Herbs? Yup, they're mandatory and should be easy.
Squash? One of our favorites and could be a challenge. We still have a couple of blue Hubbard in the garage. Damn, we'll miss them.
Garlic? Another tough one. And still plenty of them in the garage.
And all those veggies! :cry:

We've made good use over the years of our +1000 sq ft of garden as well as our dozen or so fruit trees so plenty of memories to look back on.
I think we'll be visiting the Farmers Markets often.

But hey, and recommendations on balcony gardening will be welcome.
NO BEIJING 2022

THE TWO MICHAELS. Never forget them.

CHINA. Never forgive them.
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

For those interested in obtaining lightweight row covers to protect seeds, young plants against insects, sunburn and frost damage, now would be a good time to hit up thrift stores for sheer nylon curtains.

Remay covers cost a fortune and do no better than sheers at a fraction of the price.
“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

bb49 wrote: Jan 1st, 2022, 11:07 am This could be a transitional year for us.

We are seriously giving some thought to downsizing, from a large house and yard to a condo. :200:
The change in yard work and gardening will be a shocker but one stipulation for the new home will be a large balcony. That will make or break any deals.

Blueberries. Hmm, one plant? We have twenty of them now.
Herbs? Yup, they're mandatory and should be easy.
Squash? One of our favorites and could be a challenge. We still have a couple of blue Hubbard in the garage. Damn, we'll miss them.
Garlic? Another tough one. And still plenty of them in the garage.
And all those veggies! :cry:

We've made good use over the years of our +1000 sq ft of garden as well as our dozen or so fruit trees so plenty of memories to look back on.
I think we'll be visiting the Farmers Markets often.

But hey, and recommendations on balcony gardening will be welcome.
We're going to do the opposite, we've transitioned downwards many times for specific reasons. Education, long work hours, constraints on time thinking the less there is to do the more time we would free up just simply added more stress and less pleasure.

We are going to start the hunt for a suited home, I have no issues living in the kids' basement, countless parents I know are doing this for many reasons. It will have a fenced yard, a garden, one gourmet kitchen and a rec room.

If the last 2 years have taught us anything one is family is important. Decent incomes and the cost of living x2 makes no sense. Vegetables, aside from being a fortune, rotten by the next day. Take out that makes you wish you had just boiled a couple eggs. $20 for a cake that tastes like dye or nothing? Customer service, a joke, whether it is shopping or repairs.

Back to the basics, gardening, cooking, baking, canning, freezing, home improvement through skill and time. Time with family, activities that cost little or nothing. Building back the life I was raised in, the kid was raised in, and providing the meaningful lessons to the grandchildren.

Container gardening is an art not easily mastered, trial and error, much of it based on containers, soil and placement, not a lot of options depending on the direction of said balcony.
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

_^^^^^^

I applaud both of you. Back to basics and spit in the eye of “wants/needs” a failing society pushes on us.
“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey

Return to “Creative Endeavours”