Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Just came back from the Farmer's Market, there is a booth there full of the most unusual Bolivian pepper plants, EVER.

And Medusa peppers too. Omigod, they are so beautiful.

That sounds cool! I may swing over on Saturday and check them out. My garden is out of space already, but I'd like to see them.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The roses are outstanding this year. Unbelievable really.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Mine are doing pretty well too - though none of the ones I started from yours "took". :/ Maybe I'll try again next year.

My mini climbing rose is spectacular though
Minature climbing rose.JPG
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

May long weekend! Is everybody planted yet?

What do you have?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I have everything in except the corn, tomatoes and beans.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We got in tomatoes, beans and corn this year. Gave yellow and green beans a pass for a couple of years, so this year we're experimenting with them.

Is it weird that the sunflowers already have sunflower heads forming? In May?

And oh, I need another half acre for all the new varieties of blueberries I found today. Going to a garden center was very very dangerous today. CottonCandy Blueberries? $19 each! But ooooohhh I want one three.

I've got some good action on the walking onions, real development is happening with bulb growth. And we're picking strawberries like crazy. The only real disappointment is with the Pineapple Strawberries. Very few flowers and they are sending out daughter plants like crazy.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I am having the same thing with the pineapple berries. We shall see, I guess.

My Salvadoran neighbour gave me a whole pile of different beans to plant - I have no idea exactly what they are but most of them are coming up. I think one is a fava bean, There is a small red one and one that could be a scarlet runner. Plus a small black bean - I do hope those come up.

How about some garden pictures? Anyone?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Ate our first strawberry right out of the garden. Everything is poking through the soil. Beans, carrots, radish, lettuce, bok choy, tomato, pepper, onion, potato, sunflowers.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My haskaps are producing berries, my strawberries are coming along (except dang pill bugs have been at them).

Oh, and my son brought me home a seed packet from the Halifax Citadel, of Flanders Poppy seeds!
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

Yesterday I watched two Goldfinches perch on and eat at my Swiss chard. I had been puzzling about the cause of the holes in the leaves and now I know!
We are eating strawberries, peas are plumping up and should be ready in a couple of days, and there is a small tomato on one of the plants.
My lettuce is already too bitter to enjoy. I used starter plants and I think the early heat we had just accelerated them too much. Of course, being in a raised bed already provides extra warmth. I am thinking of throwing some seed in between the peas and hoping the shade will let me get another harvest in before the heat comes to stay.
I love this time of year!
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Peas should be close to done by now. If not, the heat will get em. I'm on my 3rd planting of lettuce.
Still haven't got my corn in. This week I will.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Our peas are plumping out. We are looking forward to lots of good garlic this year. It's super tall. I got all the scapes very early.

Potatoes are gangbusters. I've got corn in, but it's too soon to expect signs of life yet.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

There was talk of frost last night, so I put cloches on my melons. Popped out first thing to check on the, everything looks okay.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I threw dish towels over my tomatoes and peppers last night too. It was 3 degrees when I got up at 6. Hopefully warmer nights from now on.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
ogopogodude
Fledgling

Post by ogopogodude »

I am having my 1st go at trying to grow cucamelons ... they seem pretty easy to grow as per youtube. Anybody familiar with this veggie? It is essentially a very small cucumber that has a slight sour/lime taste to it and it is the size of a grape. They look like a mini watermelon. They go by several names as well (gherkin cucumbers, etc)

Return to “Creative Endeavours”