Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Seedy Saturday is today in Westbank!!

http://www.castanet.net/events/kelowna_ ... rday/93802

I've always attended the Kelowna one but there is no guarantee this year for that to happen.

There won't be one held in Kelowna this year, the West Kelowna on is it. I might see you there - starts at 10 and I have a few errands to run before hand :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:cry: Never made it. Subaru died on Hwy. 97. I ended up mentally spending thousands of dollars flipping through a Lee Valley catelogue in the wait room at car repair place. Then walking over to Buckerfields. At least they had Elephant Garlic.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Oh dear :(

I bought 3 tomato plants which may or may not live until planting time. I chatted with a bunch of people. It was a good time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:D I'm happy for you that you had a good time. What varities of tomatoes did you snag?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I got a roma, an oxheart red, and something called "owen's purple".

I also got some different seeds from the free table. Rutabagas, sungold and a few others. :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I ended up buying seeds at Buckerfields too. Ground Cherries were what I grew here last year and I hope to have them again.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Ground cherries are great! I expect I'll have them again this year - they went to seed last year and I had them all over. I do enjoy them, I just wasn't good at getting them harvested :p
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Anyone on here tried going ginseng or wasabi .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Never tried wasabi - it's almost impossible here in BC. But if it's the hot taste you are after, you can grow horseradish which is really what you get served as 'wasabi' in virtually all restaurants:

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Wasabi

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fak ... 2030a33959
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

You can find horseradish root in the store but select nice, fresh-looking roots and grind it yourself - but in the summer when you can grind it outdoors preferably in a stiff breeze. We ground our own that we grew so learned this wisdom quickly - it can literally take your breath away.

The best commercially prepared horseradish I have found is Beaver brand Creamed Horseradish. Not quite as hot as the stuff we did ourselves, but good nonetheless.
Chill
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I grew ginger last year. It turned out good got lots left yet . Got some asparagus. It's in its second year now . Can't wait to plant it outside. In another year . I heard wasabi was hard to grow . Why so hard here . I got a g9pd shaded mossy spot I wanna try ginseng
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What soil conditions did you have for the ginger? I'm now interested in hearing about this ginger here in the Okanagan.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I grew it in my boot room . Which has many windows . I grew it in 2 large pots . If u search online ginger likes room temperature . Flat bottom shallow pots . Lots of light . It is a pretty plant . Looks like bamboo . Go buy some ginger soak it overnight . Put it in dirt and wait two weeks . It will sprout

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I don't have good light in my house, or I'd try that. Heck, maybe I'll try it anyway.

Like with the fig tree, I bought it and hope to keep it alive until it is time to plant. Back of the container says "Zone 5". I emailed Brian Minter (my friend is a fan of his garden program on CBC) and he said "Nope, Zone 7". >_< So I will place it on my south facing wall and resign myself to attempting to overwinter. Where does one buy bales of straw? It makes a good mulch I hear . . .
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Honestly if u have a window that gets good sun it will grow easy . In one season u will have a year's worth of ginger

Return to “Creative Endeavours”