Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Jflem1983 »

Yes some crops are difficult to grow here due to lack of sun . I've built a few gardens in the back . Previous owner has all sorts of beautiful roses and fountains out front . I don't maintain the roses as I should .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I can't believe how much is popping up everywhere by now. I did pull quite a few dead stalks up to make room for new growth. Uncovered garlic trying to make it up. Planted seven Elephant garlic cloves. Pulled choking violets off the roses. I seek to rehome various creeping sedums. I have so many bulbs coming up it isn't funny. Going to have to split some up in the Fall, if I remember where to dig. Leaves! Omigod, I have piles of leaves breaking down, my hope was to use them as a potato planting medium, but they are rotting away so quickly, maybe not? I swepted and cleaned and composted and green binned so much that I hardly noticed the time.

Lady and I have been known to rescue roses.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I just might have a treasure trove for u .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Today was so gorgeous - I can't WAIT until gardening season :D We grow a huge variety of veggies/fruits/herbs (even though I have only 4 raised beds) but the one thing that we've never grown that we will absolutely put in this year is kohlrabi!!! I had never tasted it until our neighbor last year gave us one to try. Holy cow!
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:I just might have a treasure trove for u .

:cry: Personally I have no room left, but Lady t might. But thank you. I may yet have June bearing strawberries to give away. And those Pineapple strawberries too. They do spread and take over though. Fair warning.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Uhhh - maybe? I'd have to see where I could make space . . . how many are we talking here?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

More than I can count . They r huge . More than just roses . It's a wet dream for a flower nut

Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

What on earth is a pineapple strawberry? I googled it - is it a "pineberry"?
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
rose123

Post by rose123 »

just popping in wrote:
Bsuds wrote:This could be the answer to not a lot of space in your yards for growing.

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/2071 ... ighborhood

Rose123: I think this is a great idea that Bsuds suggested!

Wow! That looks amazing! I would love to do something like that!
rose123

Post by rose123 »

Queen K wrote:
Welcome in! I've run out of people to give free plants to :D

I am all about getting rid of lawn, and did it in an ingenious way. If you're interested, I'll post all about it here. Most already know though so I'll wait to see if you want to know.

Hello! And thanks for the lovely welcome! I am definitely in need of plants; our yard has very little so far in the way of landscaping, and I have no love of lawn. I plan to build a food and beautiful flower forest! The water limitations here are my biggest unkown...

How did you get rid of lawn?! I am definitely interested in hearing about your method! :D
rose123

Post by rose123 »

Queen K wrote:I have to ask if Elephant garlic needs to be planted right now :200: Raised beds are dig-able. Bman?

Thanks for asking this question and taking the heat for me! I have some elephant garlic harvested last year I'd like to plant this spring, but wasn't sure if I should, always having planted garlic in fall so far... :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:More than I can count . They r huge . More than just roses . It's a wet dream for a flower nut

I'd love to come and see what you have :D

And Sige, let me run outside for a sec, k? Lady t, you talking roses or ?

I got too many of Aloha Berry, "a small white strawberry with a pineapple flavour." They absolutely spread like crazy. Be warned. I'm giving away some of them.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Wait a few weeks everything will be starting to show . He did good . One will bloom and go then another variety blooms . On and on . I wish I had more experience with flowers and more of a desire to do something good with them . They grow all on their own . I ought to prune them . Lots of lilac lots of neat plants in this yard . It's like Edward scissor hands

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

rose123 wrote:
Hello! And thanks for the lovely welcome! I am definitely in need of plants; our yard has very little so far in the way of landscaping, and I have no love of lawn. I plan to build a food and beautiful flower forest! The water limitations here are my biggest unkown...

How did you get rid of lawn?! I am definitely interested in hearing about your method! :D

To call what I had as lawn is actually being quite generous. I had a weedy wild field lawn. What we did was destroy the top layer and have it removed. Completely. That was our "from scratch." So then we took a cue from ByLands Nursery and laid down tough, top quality landscape fabric all across it. And then laid down raised garden beds for vegetables and the occasional flower.

The front section got a layer of thick cardboard too, and then landscape fabric. Then I collected wheelbarrels and filled them with plants. I have a small section for inground vegetables and an overflow section filled with all kinds of roses/bulbs/berry bushes.

Berries I added: raspberry, three haskups, two saskatoons, strawberries, tayberry, loganberry, himrod white grapes. I grow a huge sunflower hedge every year for the birds.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Still ice on the puddles this morning when I was walking the dogs

Return to “Creative Endeavours”