Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Bsuds »

Jflem1983 wrote:I grew it in my boot room . Which has many windows . I grew it in 2 large pots . If u search online ginger likes room temperature . Flat bottom shallow pots . Lots of light . It is a pretty plant . Looks like bamboo . Go buy some ginger soak it overnight . Put it in dirt and wait two weeks . It will sprout

What I have found on several websites is use a 12" deep pot and full/partial shade. An east or south facing window works well.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grow-Gi ... ouseplant/
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well what can I say . I grew mine in full sun all summer
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Add to that I can't afford air conditioning. I'm sure it was well over 100 Fahrenheit in there many days
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Anyone interested, Honey Nut Cheerios is offering free wildflower seeds to "Bring Back The Bees":

https://bringbackthebees.ca/Contest/Index
rose123

Post by rose123 »

Hello Everyone!
I am so excited to be joining you for the new growing season! I just moved to Kelowna from the coast and have big plans for a great big garden! My true love is vegetable/food growing but I plan to grow many flowers and herbs as well. I have sooo many seeds! Looking forward to turning all this lawn into garden. We have only a .21 acre lot but I know we'll get lots growing on it. I have had seeds started in my basement since January. Spring can't come soon enough in this corner of the world!
Nice to virtually meet you all!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

rose123 wrote:Hello Everyone!
I am so excited to be joining you for the new growing season! I just moved to Kelowna from the coast and have big plans for a great big garden! My true love is vegetable/food growing but I plan to grow many flowers and herbs as well. I have sooo many seeds! Looking forward to turning all this lawn into garden. We have only a .21 acre lot but I know we'll get lots growing on it. I have had seeds started in my basement since January. Spring can't come soon enough in this corner of the world!
Nice to virtually meet you all!

Welcome, rose123!

What area of the coast are you from? What zone are you used to planting in? The Kelowna area is about a 5, mostly.
Check your soil all over your yard, you may have different types on one plot - we do. I'm in Rutland and we have a good topsoil, rock and sand, and then clay deposits. I have to amend each spot differently.

Historically we don't plant out of doors until the May long weekenend, it's rare to get frost after that (though it has happened). I believe you can plant cold weather plants before that, and I know of some people who have done well with hoop houses/greenhouses/cloches to protect from frost. Last year was an early spring, this year not so much.

Bman is our go-to with garden questions, Queen K is also quite knowledgeable.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Jflem1983 wrote:Honestly if u have a window that gets good sun it will grow easy . In one season u will have a year's worth of ginger

My options are: teenage son's bedroom (south facing, but won't happen), kitchen over the sink (south facing, partially shaded by the deck, no ledge for plants), dining area (south facing but fully shaded by deck), basement laundry/storage/catch-all room (south facing, currently have a few plants sitting on the deep freeze, but my rack for hanging clothes to dry is above that).

The other windows are north facing and get shade most of the day. We have a small late-60's/early 70's bi-level.
I haven't failed until I quit.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Bsuds wrote:This could be the answer to not a lot of space in your yards for growing.

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/2071 ... ighborhood

Rose123: I think this is a great idea that Bsuds suggested!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Should peas go in soon? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Certainly peas are an early season plant . It is still cold at night tho

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Don't kill spiders. Put them outside in the roses, they'll go after aphids and such.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/15/health/sp ... index.html
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just stating the obvious, it's gardening weather!

Yahoooo, I came in to get a drink and just could not resist. Rhubarb is up! Garlic is all up! And many rescue bulbs have made it through the transplant and Winter stages. Yahooooo!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Mesclun I planted in a bucket on my too-shady balcony is up!!! I hope it amounts to LOTS of greens!!
Chill
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Last day of winter!
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ice on the puddles not planting season yet

Return to “Creative Endeavours”