Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Lady tehMa »

I had heard putting out chunks of Irish Spring soap works, but I don't know if it does. My inlaws have deer, but they also have dogs and the dogs keep deer away.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/pests/insects-diseases-weeds/tips-for-deterring-deer-from-eating-gardens/

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/deer/deer-eating-fruit-trees.htm

https://www.planetnatural.com/deer-repellent/
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The up side to big chunks of Irish Spring is no vet bills. I'm willing to try them.

I haven't done the yard walk today yet, but I see signs of green life. I know Febrary can turn on us though and don't we have snow predicted for today?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Thanks for all the input so far!

I'm not too worried about gardening in the field - that's kinda bonus if it could work. I'll start with stuff in the yard and expand if I can't eat it all ;)

Any varieties of tomatoes or peppers people have had luck with? I'm partial to roma tomatoes. Any other suggestions for stuff that grows well here?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It all does. My dad 70 yr old dad cut back from 60 plants to 40 one year. He had all kinds of varieties do well. I like Black Krim, Mortgage Lifter, Amish Heart.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

slootman wrote:Thanks for all the input so far!

I'm not too worried about gardening in the field - that's kinda bonus if it could work. I'll start with stuff in the yard and expand if I can't eat it all ;)

Any varieties of tomatoes or peppers people have had luck with? I'm partial to roma tomatoes. Any other suggestions for stuff that grows well here?

I like "Early Girl" and "4th of July", I will let you know as soon as I do. The "Beefsteak" varieties, I have not had much luck with. The grape and cherry variety produce lots of fruit for a long season but, I don't like all the seeds. Romas are one of my favorites. I plant plants that will produce at different times, so that I always have something new to look forward to.

Ask Bman.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've tried all kinds of tomato varieties over the years. White Peach was good find last year, but because there is so much choice out there it's hard to find a grower offering the same the year after. I say build a greehouse out in the back forty Slootman, that way you free up space in your own yard and if anyone should object, you can always just take it down. Doesn't have be a big one either.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That's a great idea! You could even get a big one and rent space to friends ;)
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Lady tehMa wrote:That's a great idea! You could even get a big one and rent space to friends ;)

I detect a very big Hint, hint, wink, wink, in that comment. :smt045
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

So many choices for tomatoes....I'll probably grow a couple kinds - theres so many! Sounds like peppers are an uphill battle so I may skip those.

A greenhouse would be awesome. First things...baby steps lol.

Thanks for all the input. Should be a fun season.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hot peppers do well and even too well. I'm thinking that the space needed for peppers for what we get is no longer worth it. I had to discard lots of sunburned ones and lots didn't even make it.

What I'm worried about is that 40 garlic cloves aren't enough. (I wish we planted more).
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 24th, 2017, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I would love to add space to my garden this year, I just don't have the energy to do so.

I do want to set up a watering system though - my friend has been after me for some time and this year I think I'm going to just go ahead and get it done. She said she would do it for me if I bought the parts, and I'm a good "helper" with projects so that should work :)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Seed to Harvest.jpg

Seed to Harvest, an event being put on by the Kelowna Garden Club.
http://www.kelownagardenclub.ca

Saturday, February 11, from 8:30-4 at the Okanagan College Kelowna Campus.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Peppers grow great here.
Keep them properly thinned. Don't grow 100 on a plant, grow only what the plant can support throughout the season, like 5 or so. Grow them under the canopy so they don't get scalded. I get 2 to 3 lbs per square ft, so I find them quite worthwhile. A bit labor intensive tho if you want good results, you have to keep all flowers off that you don't want pollinated.
Staking peppers when you plant them is wise too.
Stake them early so you aren't jabbing the stake thru the roots and cutting them up. Tie loosely to the stakes so they don't fall over.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Bman wrote:Peppers grow great here.
Keep them properly thinned. Don't grow 100 on a plant, grow only what the plant can support throughout the season, like 5 or so. Grow them under the canopy so they don't get scalded. I get 2 to 3 lbs per square ft, so I find them quite worthwhile. A bit labor intensive tho if you want good results, you have to keep all flowers off that you don't want pollinated.
Staking peppers when you plant them is wise too.
Stake them early so you aren't jabbing the stake thru the roots and cutting them up. Tie loosely to the stakes so they don't fall over.

When I "stake & tie", I use strips ripped from old t-shirts (about 2" wide). I wrap the stalks twice, loosely before tieing to the stake. I also put the stakes in on planting day, the roots will grow around the stake instead of the stake damaging the roots later.

Great advice Bman.

For peppers and tomatoes, I keep the water close to the ground and off the fruit and leaves. Thinning and proper pruning is also very important.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I forgot to add....NEVER weed close to the plants with a hoe. Hand weeding only out to at least 12" from the plant.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”