Shop talk

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
seewood
Guru

Re: Shop talk

Post by seewood »

I Think wrote:All gear heads here???

Naaa, I go both ways.. :200: Older classic car I can fix and tinker with and a recently completed shop where I hope to improve my skill set working with wood.
Currently milling, sanding, cutting and fitting 7 X 7 fir posts for deck railing.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Sold my 84 Mercedes a year ago, as I just cannot pull wrenches anymore, and have lots to with finishing the house. Yesterday started on a barn door, kinda cool, was able to cut tenons in the end of the rails on the mortising machine in no time flat.
Can you through cut your 7X7's in one pass?
We're lost but we're making good time.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I Think wrote:Can you through cut your 7X7's in one pass?

Depends, cross cutting, no. I have a Mafell 10" ( love it, soft start so no torque twist at start ) and access to a Makita 16" but neither will cut 7" I have double cut with the 10" or put them on the 12" sliding chop and double cut.
I can hold them and rip the 7' thickness half lap on my band saw without an issue.

I have a garage door to replace but decided on an insulated steel unit.
Next year I have a timber trellis to make in front of the shop. Bought a used chain mortise to have a go at mortice and tenon joints... Kinda nervous about that as the price on timbers today, one cannot afford a screw-up. Wish I had the room for my own little portable milling saw. Maybe go Alaska Mill.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Been able to score some pretty good deals on timbers hereabouts.
Got an 8X10 + an 8X8 16 footers from a neighbor, & some 20 ft 6X8's from a wild man who carves them with a chainsaw mill & planes them. You could always try Son Ranch over by Greenwood.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I Think wrote:Been able to score some pretty good deals on timbers hereabouts.
Got an 8X10 + an 8X8 16 footers from a neighbor, & some 20 ft 6X8's from a wild man who carves them with a chainsaw mill & planes them. You could always try Son Ranch over by Greenwood.

Do you mean: https://boundarybc.com/directory/listin ... er-company
Bring back the LIKE button.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Yes they have milled stuff for me several times.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”