Shop talk

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
seewood
Guru

Re: Shop talk

Post by seewood »

Collecting CPP now so selling the business and building. Going to miss the lift I had in one side.
After sale, I'll be building a shop at the house. Looking at 30 X 30 with 9 foot ceiling. Pointed out to me that height is best while wrestling with sheets of plywood. 200 amp service to it. Single phase though but that is OK. More wood shop than mechanical. I'll still have a carport to muck about with my summertime toy. I'll have another summer toy coming on line shortly. ( Fiat spiders).
Figuring out a budget as other than concrete I can do much myself. Simple box without water/plumbing. Think $80.00 ft2 realistic?
In the meantime, sell the building and land before I start any home projects.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

seewood wrote:Collecting CPP now so selling the business and building. Going to miss the lift I had in one side.
After sale, I'll be building a shop at the house. Looking at 30 X 30 with 9 foot ceiling. Pointed out to me that height is best while wrestling with sheets of plywood. 200 amp service to it. Single phase though but that is OK. More wood shop than mechanical. I'll still have a carport to muck about with my summertime toy. I'll have another summer toy coming on line shortly. ( Fiat spiders).
Figuring out a budget as other than concrete I can do much myself. Simple box without water/plumbing. Think $80.00 ft2 realistic?
In the meantime, sell the building and land before I start any home projects.

I buried an water line. Insulated and heat taped it. Plumbed in a free standing garage for like 200 dollars lol.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Started mortar work on a stone wall ive been planning . Just a retainer for my garden. Gonna be building a few walls eventually this is the first of several. Had my cement mixer for years. Finally starting to use it
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Jflem1983 wrote:Started mortar work on a stone wall ive been planning . Just a retainer for my garden. Gonna be building a few walls eventually this is the first of several. Had my cement mixer for years. Finally starting to use it

What stone are you using?
River rock ( rounded) or shot rock ( angular)

Used to live in Squamish. That place had the nicest rock. Used to drive around after work in the Subaru station wagon to new lots that had to blast for the footings and foundations.
Beautiful white granite. Made walls all over the yard. Still standing today when I check the old place out.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

seewood wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Started mortar work on a stone wall ive been planning . Just a retainer for my garden. Gonna be building a few walls eventually this is the first of several. Had my cement mixer for years. Finally starting to use it

What stone are you using?
River rock ( rounded) or shot rock ( angular)

Used to live in Squamish. That place had the nicest rock. Used to drive around after work in the Subaru station wagon to new lots that had to blast for the footings and foundations.
Beautiful white granite. Made walls all over the yard. Still standing today when I check the old place out.

Using river rock dug from my yard. Just starting this project

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

This is what i got so far
Attachments
20180419_211318.jpg

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lesson learned on my wall. Need to fit the stones tighter. I found a crack .

Have to put a starter in my truck. This Chevy seems to have terrible electrical issues. Soon ill have replaced all of it. The wiring is gonna have get taken out and redone at some point. Ill need help with that.

The good news is well there isnt much good news

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Meh starter job is done. Took less than an hour. Rockauto.com for parts .

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Parts truck showed up. Wheel bearing hub assemblies rotors and brake pads. Got ABS wheel speed sensors on order . Gonna order ball joints and calipers . Old Chevy gonna have a brand new front end. Got the truck cheap and done the work myself. Almost paid off the wrecked bran new one in the mean time.

I think i like working on the Chev.

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Rented a jd75c. Tore down the old garage.

Ryuchi

Post by Ryuchi »

Duplicate posts are not allowed.
Last edited by TreeGuy on Jun 26th, 2018, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate Post
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Had a big excavator in today. Took down 8 trees. Ranging from 100+ footers down to 50 footers. Site is prepped. Dig starts Monday. Momma is getting a brand new house.

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

My projects tend to be big surprises. I have a 1000 sf detached garage where I built a concrete pit over which I park my truck.
My daughter showed up the other day with her Corolla dripping oil all over my driveway pavers ( my wife was furious about the oil drips).
We hand rolled it into the garage and over the pit and tried to see where the oil was spewing from. Finally added some oil, started it up and watched oil spew from around the filter housing. Toyota has a plastic cover over a paper filter which replaces the spin on filter I am more familiar with. There is a "o" ring to seal the cap. When I replaced the o ring I put it in the same place the previous guy placed it which was at the end under a flange which made sense except it is wrong! The o ring lives in it's own groove at the end of the threaded portion, cleverly disguised. Once the o ring was placed properly there were no more leaks. I figured I got off easy because she cannot afford a new engine and I would be at fault for the o ring. It cost me a gallon of synthetic oil which I had on hand for my oil change coming soon according to my computer on the dash.
The fact that the car ran leak free for 6 weeks had me wondering and also curious about the o ring and why it took so long to blow. Did I just imagine that the o ring was at a different place?
Waste not
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Grandan wrote:My projects tend to be big surprises. I have a 1000 sf detached garage where I built a concrete pit over which I park my truck.
My daughter showed up the other day with her Corolla dripping oil all over my driveway pavers ( my wife was furious about the oil drips).
We hand rolled it into the garage and over the pit and tried to see where the oil was spewing from. Finally added some oil, started it up and watched oil spew from around the filter housing. Toyota has a plastic cover over a paper filter which replaces the spin on filter I am more familiar with. There is a "o" ring to seal the cap. When I replaced the o ring I put it in the same place the previous guy placed it which was at the end under a flange which made sense except it is wrong! The o ring lives in it's own groove at the end of the threaded portion, cleverly disguised. Once the o ring was placed properly there were no more leaks. I figured I got off easy because she cannot afford a new engine and I would be at fault for the o ring. It cost me a gallon of synthetic oil which I had on hand for my oil change coming soon according to my computer on the dash.
The fact that the car ran leak free for 6 weeks had me wondering and also curious about the o ring and why it took so long to blow. Did I just imagine that the o ring was at a different place?

Did u replace the O ring or reuse same one ? I have seen O rings get flattened out.

That being said an oil filter is not where one would usually see this happen. More likely in a pump or something that moves

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The new filter came with a new o ring so I replaced it as a matter of course, sadly in the wrong place and it is the first time I ever saw oil spurt out from around the seal of an oil filter. I used to drive Peugeot diesels, need I say more?
Waste not

Return to “Creative Endeavours”