Shop talk

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Shop talk

Post by dirtybiker »

Ah well, looks like the leg has to come off and an engine removal on my boat.
Seems I blew a gasket on the base of the exhaust where it dumps through the transom.
Result, when the engine runs it pumps the bilge full of water.

The leg I've done before, so no biggy, just a pain.

The engine seems straight forward, 4 engine mount bolts, a wiring harness plug and a couple hoses.

But then, even though it's the gasket, quite inexpensive, while it's apart that far, more
expenditure seems in order, new engine mounts, gimbal condition/replace etc. etc.
as I check everything along the way, it is 45 yrs old and likely has some more
items that deserve some attention.

Big hole in the lake to throw money at, also a great source of stress relief, therapy,
Family/Friends enjoyment and peace.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

You might want to consider the joys of being a kayaker, Dirtybiker.

No engines
No oil
No repairs
No trailer, just a roof rack
No noise
Lightweight
Wide price range
Exercise, low, medium or full out
Transportable easily
Pretty colors

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^Not with my broken body ^^^^^

Even my canoe might as well be sold.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Poured walls today. 10 footers. Mommas house is coming along nicely.

Was pretty neat to help the old crew i used to work with. Nice to have an old friend on the job.
This build is going well. Its ahead of schedule and under budget.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Owner of excavation company left me the keys. Been playing in the hoe. Good times
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Spent my extra hours Friday and Saturday preparing slabs for pour on mommas basement and garage. The money a person can save by doing a little them selves is quite a bit. Anyone complaining about costs to build needs to examine what it is they can and can not do them selves

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I would go to the auction on saturday. Or even go on monday. Talk to Abe or Alex. Little car like that. You will get a whole car for less than that mechanic wants.

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Where can a person buy quality nuts and bolts. Tried two fastners stores. Both sell foreign junk. Put it on. It gets stuck. Wont back off. Have to cut the nut off ... tired of this nonsense. What happened to quality .

Anyone got a bucket of old bolts kicking around.

Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Anyone got a bucket of old bolts kicking around.

I have plenty.
What in particular do you need?
Size/ length/ pitch/ grade.
As for being foreign junk, I believe it's pretty much impossible to buy a non foreign fastener now.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Found grade 8 bolts at princess suto of all places. Hopefully grade 8 bolts are better than the grade 5 garbage i keep having to cut off.

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Jflem1983 wrote: by Jflem1983 » Sep 5th, 2018, 8:32 am
Where can a person buy quality nuts and bolts.

I used Lordco quite a bit while rebuilding a foreign car. Metric and standard if required. Stainless as well.
Picked up no-seize gunk and blue loc-tight there as well. I found good selection of auto/marine wiring and connectors.
I was amazed at the availability of parts for a 38 year old foreign car to boot.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Jflem1983 wrote:Spent my extra hours Friday and Saturday preparing slabs for pour on mommas basement and garage. The money a person can save by doing a little them selves is quite a bit. Anyone complaining about costs to build needs to examine what it is they can and can not do them selves
Jflem1983 wrote: Been playing in the hoe. Good times

Bought a mini excavator and skid steer earlier this year to assist in building walls around the house. Great fun mucking about with the machines. When the walls are done, then onto excavating for a 24 X 30 shop.
These machines can make a hell of a mess in a fraction of the time it would take me with a shovel and wheel barrow :biggrin:

Plan on doing as much as I can myself. Have a few neighbors that are or were builders. Plan is for them to come over and get me started then pop in few days later to make sure things are as planned/ keep on track.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

seewood wrote:Bought a mini excavator and skid steer earlier this year to assist in building walls around the house. Great fun mucking about with the machines. When the walls are done, then onto excavating for a 24 X 30 shop.
These machines can make a hell of a mess in a fraction of the time it would take me with a shovel and wheel barrow :biggrin:

Plan on doing as much as I can myself. Have a few neighbors that are or were builders. Plan is for them to come over and get me started then pop in few days later to make sure things are as planned/ keep on track.

I too have been thinking of building my own shop when I move. I currently have a 20' x 22' double garage. This is not big enough.
I am a woodworker and use lots of 4x8 sheet goods. 20' deep is just barely enough to rip a sheet of plywood. (8' behind the table saw and 8' behind the saw plus standing room and the saw.
My question is, "what are you going to do in your shop?"
For myself, I am thinking of a minimum of 30' x 40'.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Walls are standing. Interiors and exteriors. Trusses come Tuesday. Have a roof on and shingled before long. Get er done !

Swapped out a really badly worn out inner tie rod end . On the big old chevy. Lots of front end work to do. Ball joints. Etc. Glad i got a buddy who worked as a mechanic.

This thread is becoming a testament to doing it yourself. Save a few bucks and get the jobs done. I like it

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

alanjh595 wrote:My question is, "what are you going to do in your shop?" For myself, I am thinking of a minimum of 30' x 40'.

Make sure you have 9 foot ceilings(if you can). One can flip a sheet of ply around easier then. Nine foot was recommended by several who have both 8 and 9 foot ceilings.
I'm not a skilled wood worker, I always said my fine wood working involved a smaller chain saw. However, I have the tools to build new kitchen cabinet doors for our kitchen, so will likely try that later in the winter. Picked up a used 3hp Saw Stop and used Laguna 20" spiral planer. Looking forward to use those.

I was planning to go 30 X 30 but sight lines from the hot tub will reduce it to 30 X 22 or 24' . When you go big, remember it takes a bit more to heat, more lights etc. If you are going to use the shop for commercial, then 30 X 40 would be minimum I'd think. 200 amps service min. If 3 phase is available, go for it. Big expense though if power company has to hang 3 cans off the pole outside and up grade the service line to the shop.
Enjoy

Return to “Creative Endeavours”