Gardening 2018

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Gardening 2018

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:We had a light frost this morning, is it too early to plant zuke and cuke seeds into the ground?

Depends if you want them to get killed with frost.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Cucurbits are very frost sensitive. I would wait a few weeks to plant them.

Be aware too that they don't transplant well.
It's best to direct sow.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I planted zuc seeds before I left for Japan, will go to garden in the next couple of days and report back. I foresee no problems as there was plenty of moisture. Seeds "know" when to grow, they are smarter than us. Was I right about early planting of peas?
Time will tell all.
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 20th, 2018, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Bsuds wrote:
Bpeep wrote:I planted giant hogweed around the circumfrence of my property.
Was cheaper than digging a moat.

I used Skunk Cabbage.

I prefer Skunk "Lettuce". Will be over soon to check it out. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Sunshine! :sunshine: And it rained last night!

I'm off to rescue a tree peony and 3 rose bushes. And a hydrangea. I'll wait until the bulbs are done before rescuing them.

What are your plans for the day?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yard stuff and cleaning out around tree trunks for the stump grinder to come in.

Plant more spinach seeds. Try to get rotating crops on it.

Take out more sunflowers, they are sprouting up everywhere.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Carrots, Radish, Lettuce, Spinach, peas, sunflowers all sowed right into the garden: Zucchini, Tomatoes, Corn, Cabbage, Pumpkin, Squash, Cucumber starting to sprout in the greenhouse.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Tree peony has been moved! Now I hope it lives.

Also kind of did my knee in :/
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I hit like for the tree peony, not the knee!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:I hit like for the tree peony, not the knee!

Thanks, QK.

Also slammed my fingers in the shed door, got a good bruise. Gardening is hazardous! :panic:

Have a great day out there, everyone!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Catsumi wrote:I planted zuc seeds before I left for Japan, will go to garden in the next couple of days and report back. I foresee no problems as there was plenty of moisture. Seeds "know" when to grow, they are smarter than us. Was I right about early planting of peas?
Time will tell all.

Report? What's up?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224367

The sale is a fundraiser supporting the Friends of the Gardens, a local non-profit.

Vendors will offer an array of annual and perennial flowers, native plants, shrubs, a few trees and vegetables, including many varieties of tomatoes.

Proceeds from the plant sale support the maintenance of the gardens, including two full-time gardeners who, with help from volunteers, keep the flower beds looking fresh and colourful.

The event will also feature coffee or tea, cookies, and a food truck.

FOG is offering a special afternoon workshop: 'Okanagan Gardening for Newcomers,' with Kathryn McCourt.

The workshop takes place from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

The event takes place May 5 and 6 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day.

A fun thing to do but "time to prep the garden"? They are way behind what is really going on, aren't they? [icon_lol2.gif]
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Queen K wrote:
Catsumi wrote:I planted zuc seeds before I left for Japan, will go to garden in the next couple of days and report back. I foresee no problems as there was plenty of moisture. Seeds "know" when to grow, they are smarter than us. Was I right about early planting of peas?
Time will tell all.

Report? What's up?

Well, radishes, carrots and lettuce are up and doing just fine. No sign of zuc sprouts yet, but that could be due to

1. The six seeds I had left were three years old

2. Planted too deep

3. Still doing ok, just not emerged yet.

Planted more radishes (french breakfast) so will have a pile of them. I find they keep very well for at least three weeks in fridge when washed, trimmed and put into ziplock bags with a damp paper towel to keep humidity just right.

I went grocery shopping yesterday for first time in three weeks...totally astonished at jump in fresh produce prices, squash $2.00/lb?? If i had to feed kids I would be ripping out lawn about now.

Unknown
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Queen K wrote:I'm digging out yarrow and a few others. I have too many Blue Salvias. And I want to get more peas planted.

...as in you are trying to find room to plant the salvias OR you have some to get rid of? :biggrin:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”