Gardening 2018

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Gardening 2018

Post by Bsuds »

Is anyone interested in some small mouth canning jars? (free)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Looks like there will be plenty of green tomatoes. I'm not a relish maker nor turned on by frying them. Any ideas?

The cuc plants never took off, sprawling everywhere and producing like crazy. The plants produced really short vines (lack of water more than likely), but amazingly good cucs, not bitter or watery (Straight 8 variety). If I do a garden next year I may withhold water on purpose. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We are cuked out. Tomatoes will be roasted in the oven tonight. Relish turned into a disaster but at least we have canned corn to put on our plates.

Big News though:

Goji plant is bearing fruit! Small red delicous berries!

I found them two days ago, will pick more today. And the flowers? I thought they would be showy and noticeable, nope. Small and almost insignificant, which is why I missed the berries.

Oh and the soya plants have pods on them. If it werent' for the smoke and lowered temps, I wonder what I'd have in a normal season. A real normal season, not the new normal. :cuss:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Oh, I rejoice with you QK, isn't it just flippin' wonderful when you find an Easter Egg, hiding, silent as a lamb, only to be discovered by the diligent poster ( gardener?)

Too many cucs....? Do the refrigerator pickles, easy and welcome at snowfall season.

Save a few goji berries for your fav skunk to try, ok?

Soya plants...am at a loss, elucidate, por favor.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Catsumi wrote:Oh, I rejoice with you QK, isn't it just flippin' wonderful when you find an Easter Egg, hiding, silent as a lamb, only to be discovered by the diligent poster ( gardener?)

Too many cucs....? Do the refrigerator pickles, easy and welcome at snowfall season.

Save a few goji berries for your fav skunk to try, ok?

Soya plants...am at a loss, elucidate, por favor.

:biggrin:

Methinks she is trying to grow edamame

Hey Cat, look up Green Tomato Pie :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Catsumi wrote:Looks like there will be plenty of green tomatoes. I'm not a relish maker nor turned on by frying them. Any ideas?

Green tomato pie, cake, pickles, soup, salsa, etc.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1515 ... es/?page=3
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Hey thanks. The green tomato soup looks fine to me so will try it out with bacon topper. :biggrin:

Just looked up edamame to enhance my education. Surprised that it wasn't on offer when in Japan. There is a warning attached to these little green guys....the usual GMO warning PLUS hormonal imbalances,pancreatic cancer and best of all, lab mice dining on edamame (probably all they got to eat) developed hairy mouths in three generations downstream. A gift to your grandkids?

Will leave this for QK to test and report back. Fur-lined mouth...mmmmm. Beer absorber?

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gotta die of something. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The wind blew away the smoke enough for me to get outside and work in the garden :yahoo:

I pulled out 4 heaping wheelbarrow loads of plants which do not belong there. Primarily borage. Excellent pollinator (bees love it) but if you give it an inch it will take the whole garden!

I discovered I have tomatoes, and peppers. Garlic and carrots. Volunteer ground cherries, and a volunteer cherry tomato in a place I have never planted cherry tomatoes. :135: But it is quite tasty, so I think I will save some seeds. Tomorrow I will see what survived and do some harvesting. I know all my Mortgage Lifters died :-X not happy about that.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Happy for you that a foray into your garden was possible.

I got two ripe ones off one of the Krims, the other plant is doing diddly. The two beefsteak variety are ok, but not worthy of a letter home.

With all the green toms upcoming perhaps in addition to soup making, will resort to wrapping them in newspaper and hope they ripen. That has worked in the past fairly well if I remembered to check them often. They can "turn" pretty darn quick.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I am finally eating the full-sized tomatoes :) I don't know why the little ones mature faster.

Old Germans are always good, the couple Marianne's Peace I had were good as well. Whopper is producing well, as is a new one I tried - the Japanese Black Trifele https://www.rareseeds.com/japanese-black-trifele-t/. Tasty, if a bit smaller than I usually plant. Produces well. My Black Krim plants have tomatoes, but none have ripened yet.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

That Trifele looks good and just the right size for me. Maybe 2019?

Did you see that lovely African warty squash in the link LadyT.? Supposed to taste like candy but needs lots of real estate to grow on

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Catsumi wrote:That Trifele looks good and just the right size for me. Maybe 2019?

Did you see that lovely African warty squash in the link LadyT.? Supposed to taste like candy but needs lots of real estate to grow on

I had not, actually. I may have to look into that!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bsuds wrote:Is anyone interested in some small mouth canning jars? (free)

Ill take your jars. Ill even return one filled with hot sauce.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Anyone in Vernon area who has extra banana squash for sale, whole only....I am looking. Want 2-3 large ones.

Unknown

Return to “Creative Endeavours”