Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2019!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2019!

Post by Queen K »

Catsumi wrote:How about grapes? You get what the birds leave behind.

They provide privacy, easy to grow, need little care and once off and away, produce piles of fruit

Hmmm, grapes seem reasonable and yes, they do grow. I'd have to look into that idea.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

How about Oregon Grape bushes? I just love those shrubs. They don't require extra water or special care, except pruning once they get to the size you desire.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.google.com/search?q=oregon+grape+jelly

I could make jelly too. That's an idea.

Looks like the neighbours new toy, a camper is there to stay and is covered by an eyesore bright blue tarp. I may go with a solid fence then something to grow over the top of that fence. Climbing roses? Trumpet Vine?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Honeysuckle? Or you could try hardy kiwis. Or hops, but that might lead to brewing your own beer - have you got time for that? :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have tulips and grape hyacinths poking above ground in the back yard!!!!

And I received the Lee Valley gardening catalogue in the mail yesterday. Dangerous. Very, very dangerous to my budget.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Seed swap in Vernon Saturday 16th
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have been to the Greenery - and came home with plants and seed start soil :biggrin:

Oh, the Greenery is my happy place. I do go to all the other places too: the big stores, Buckerfields, ARt Knapps, and even across the lake to Dogwood Nursery and Bylands. I keep forgetting about the one on Benvoulin though - Rick's Garden world or something like?

What are your favourite places?

I came home with narcissus, tulips, delphiniums, a coneflower and some really cool hens'n'chicks.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I often pop into Rick’s Garden World. They have a nice outdoor area with grasses and shrubs.
Yesterday I brought home 6 pink heathers from Home Depot. Summer blooming. 3 for $10.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Piecemaker wrote:How about Oregon Grape bushes? I just love those shrubs. They don't require extra water or special care, except pruning once they get to the size you desire.

Are you speaking about Oregon Grape holly? I have asked at two nurseries last year and they told me they don't stock them because they are not for our zone - although my books say otherwise. Do you know where I could get some?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

two_shoes1mit wrote:
Piecemaker wrote:How about Oregon Grape bushes? I just love those shrubs. They don't require extra water or special care, except pruning once they get to the size you desire.

Are you speaking about Oregon Grape holly? I have asked at two nurseries last year and they told me they don't stock them because they are not for our zone - although my books say otherwise. Do you know where I could get some?

Have you tried Bylands?
http://www.bylands.com/plant/oregon-grape-holly-mahonia-aquifolium
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Have you tried Bylands?
http://www.bylands.com/plant/oregon-grape-holly-mahonia-aquifolium[/quote]

No I haven't tried Bylands, will certainly look. Do you grow these? I am looking for a barrier to cover a chain link fence. Are they slow or fast growing? Thanks
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

two_shoes1mit wrote:
No I haven't tried Bylands, will certainly look. Do you grow these? I am looking for a barrier to cover a chain link fence. Are they slow or fast growing? Thanks

I don't grow them myself, but I have a volunteer one that comes through the fence on one side of my house.

According to this, http://www.nwplants.com/business/catalog/ber_aqu.html they grow quickly, though another site says it takes a bit before they really get going. I think it would depend on how much water they get.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good info on the Oregon Grape.

I'm still mulling. Headed outside now to do more clean up. :D
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Lady tehMa wrote:
two_shoes1mit wrote:

According to this, http://www.nwplants.com/business/catalog/ber_aqu.html they grow quickly, though another site says it takes a bit before they really get going. I think it would depend on how much water they get.

Thanks for the great info. This shrub gives so much thru the seasons, I will give it a go.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I don't recall where we purchased ours. It was ten years ago and we got them end of the season dirt cheap. They don't seem to grow much for the first year or so, but then they take off.
They grow all over the place in the wild, so if you know someone with a few acres of uncultivated land, chances are you could find a few to try and transplant. Perhaps a nursery that caters to the xeriscaping crowd would carry Oregon Grape also.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”