All things reno

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

All things reno

Postby Queen K » Aug 27th, 2019, 8:37 pm

I've reno'd my house inside out for 16 years and still don't have a hot tub/gazebo.

https://www.swimuniversity.com/hot-tub-gazebo/

This article is making it look mighty fine to have both.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15607 posts

Re: All things reno

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 28th, 2019, 12:22 am

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4850 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 28th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Dear, Queeny.

Speaking from my own experiences with having both a swimming pool and a hot tub on two of the homes that I have had.....

When trying to sell, having a pool, just narrows down the number of potential purchasers that want it. (If you plan to stay in that property for a long time and feel that you will get the personal use of that pool, there is no financial benefit or increased return for the investment.
I had a house, on acreage, with a hot tub, located right outside my bedroom door, in the corner of a large deck. It required a lot of attention and work to maintain it, even when it wasn't being used. A hot tub, in the Summer months is just not very refreshing. I still had to clean it and pay close attention to chemical balances, or it would just turn into a slimy/smelly mess. It was great over the Winter months, but not so much if it was raining or windy. (I did't have a cover or wind break).
I definitely wouldn't want to walk more than 10' from the tub, in freezing weather to get to the house.
Given your location and the close proximity to your neighbours, you would subject yourself to many "prying eyes" and would have to keep the music and laughter (if you have fun loving guests over) to a minimum.
I have been in my present house for over a decade and there are 2 swimming pools and a hot tub available for my use at any time, in all the time I have been here, I have only been to the pools 5 times and the hot tub once. I also have a very large/deep tub in my house, it has been used once (as a "gotta try it once). Now, I have to pour some water down the drain to ensure that the trap is full.
Hot tubs are expensive and labour intensive. Way back in my tub years, it was costing me $35/mnth. for electricity, just to maintain the temp. so the pipes wouldn't freeze. Much more when it was being used daily. There was always the pump repairs, chemical costs, and a heater replacement every 2 years. The novelty of having a hot tub quickly ran out, and I removed it.
As a guess, I did not get a 2% return on a very expensive experiment. By comparison, take all of your books, and photography equipment and throw them all into a large bucket of water and say good bye.
Being your friend, I would reconsider your novel thoughts as a hot tub owner and rethink the whole thing.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby seewood » Aug 28th, 2019, 1:14 pm

In my opinion, Douglas Fir is best in this climate for pergolas and the like.. Cheaper as well.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1653 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 31st, 2019, 4:34 pm

The foundation repair I have to do with the back building has ousted the hot tub idea anyways.
The front deck I want? Also ousted the hottub idea.

And I found this gem. There is an excellent comment below it too, from a contractor and he makes a good counter argument. So watch and read if you will.

Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby dirtybiker » Sep 2nd, 2019, 7:21 pm

Plenty of nice criminals..... [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Queen K likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3840 posts

Postby zerograv » Sep 3rd, 2019, 9:37 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Dear, Queeny.

Speaking from my own experiences with having both a swimming pool and a hot tub on two of the homes that I have had.....

When trying to sell, having a pool, just narrows down the number of potential purchasers that want it. (If you plan to stay in that property for a long time and feel that you will get the personal use of that pool, there is no financial benefit or increased return for the investment.
I had a house, on acreage, with a hot tub, located right outside my bedroom door, in the corner of a large deck. It required a lot of attention and work to maintain it, even when it wasn't being used. A hot tub, in the Summer months is just not very refreshing. I still had to clean it and pay close attention to chemical balances, or it would just turn into a slimy/smelly mess. It was great over the Winter months, but not so much if it was raining or windy. (I did't have a cover or wind break).
I definitely wouldn't want to walk more than 10' from the tub, in freezing weather to get to the house.
Given your location and the close proximity to your neighbours, you would subject yourself to many "prying eyes" and would have to keep the music and laughter (if you have fun loving guests over) to a minimum.
I have been in my present house for over a decade and there are 2 swimming pools and a hot tub available for my use at any time, in all the time I have been here, I have only been to the pools 5 times and the hot tub once. I also have a very large/deep tub in my house, it has been used once (as a "gotta try it once). Now, I have to pour some water down the drain to ensure that the trap is full.
Hot tubs are expensive and labour intensive. Way back in my tub years, it was costing me $35/mnth. for electricity, just to maintain the temp. so the pipes wouldn't freeze. Much more when it was being used daily. There was always the pump repairs, chemical costs, and a heater replacement every 2 years. The novelty of having a hot tub quickly ran out, and I removed it.
As a guess, I did not get a 2% return on a very expensive experiment. By comparison, take all of your books, and photography equipment and throw them all into a large bucket of water and say good bye.
Being your friend, I would reconsider your novel thoughts as a hot tub owner and rethink the whole thing.

I think the power usage really depends on the hot tub type and insulation value. A single pump with 20 jets and a fully insulated cabinet will obviously use less power than some fancy 80 jet swim spa.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
zerograv
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 298 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 5th, 2019, 6:32 am

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/pack-down ... L_cNRw7DxY

Would you pour concrete on bare clay based soil or lay the gravel down first as recommended? I ask because people claim two things about the internet, 1. "I learn so much good information on the 'net!" and 2. "if it's on the 'net, it can't be right."

So which would you do? Yes to gravel because it's in the link? OR, no to gravel, because it's in the link?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 5th, 2019, 11:26 am

I would recommend, digging down through the clay to a depth below undisturbed soil below. Replace with a minimum of 2-4" of compacted sand (Use a vibrating plate tamper) on slightly moist sand.
A little thicker/deeper on the perimeter of the slab.
Add rebar to the perimeter and rebar grid to the entire slab.

I know that this is a little over-kill and will probably outlive you Queeny. Consult the BC building code when in doubt.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farmi ... 016aug.pdf

Consult the following link for the CoK building codes.
https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/do ... er_10m.pdf

The hot tub retailer should be able to supply you with better information.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Queen K » Sep 7th, 2019, 12:20 am

Hi Alan. Rebar was used, but I question that enough was used. We put down gravel, and packed as well as we could. 2 - 4 inches, all up and down where the cement was poured.

May I present this link for those wishing to contract for work done

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/do- ... te-job.htm
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Sep 8th, 2019, 9:17 pm

I can't wait to get the forms off my concrete pour. It's a two foot wall that got wet during last night's rain, but it was poured on Friday.

Am I in trouble already?

Here's what I learned.

http://www.texconreadymix.com/top-16-mi ... -concrete/
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 9th, 2019, 5:34 am

It should be fine.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Queen K » Sep 9th, 2019, 7:49 am

Thanks Alan, I hope you're right. I plan to place a gravel bed beside the cement wall, buried underneath the dirt.

Might help.

Just got insulation blown into the attic. They were here on the spot at 7 am.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 9th, 2019, 7:55 am

Wait a second.....one minute you are talking about wet concrete and the next you are having insulation in the attic......I am confused.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby mexi cali » Sep 9th, 2019, 11:01 am

Clear as mud my friend, clear as mud.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

alanjh595 likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4500 posts

Next