Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2020!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2020!

Post by Lady tehMa »

New year, new plans?

This year I am planning on letting my main food gardens lie fallow. I have a bunch of perennial plants though, berries and such.

Most of my focus will be planning & saving for some much needed renovations but I will be planter gardening on my deck. And trying to keep up with my perennial flower beds.

I have a few problems though. Seed catalogues. West Coast Seeds, and Veseys. I see them and think "Ohhh, that would be neat to try!"
I haven't failed until I quit.
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2020!

Post by 1791 »

Deer ate all my kale !
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Have you ever tried putting Irish Spring soap out? I hear it works for keeping the deer away . . .
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

1791 wrote:Deer ate all my kale !

We've been having a buck come by every few days and clean out our bird feeder. It appears that he's sticking his tongue in and licking it up. Oh well, just another critter to feed.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

bb49 wrote:
1791 wrote:Deer ate all my kale !

We've been having a buck come by every few days and clean out our bird feeder. It appears that he's sticking his tongue in and licking it up. Oh well, just another critter to feed.

Okay, I want pictures :D
TannerTristanKhal

Post by TannerTristanKhal »

I'm currently working on sowing perennials and some annuals to hopefully be blooming for the summer time.
Seeds are disco belle hibiscus, yellow yarrow, butterfly weed, a different Asclepias, hyssop, saliva, desert blue bells, and some others that I can't remember.
I am also trying cuttings of lavender, rosemary, pomegranate, black currant, and Olympic fig. I am currently growing basil from seeds for inside fresh flavors. I am growing enough to sell a few to friends hopefully (most likely give away).
Most of my seeds are actually out of quebec, from a place called solanna seeds. They had a real fun selection of plants. I've been scouring through the seeds of diversity page looking at the other seed providers around, and there is quite a lot to choose from.

Another thing that I am looking at germinating are some fried egg poppy seeds that I have. They need to have pine needles burned over top of them which is kind of cool. It'll be fun to try at least. My mom loves the flowers so you got to do what you got to do.

Further things I'd like to try would be germinating some interesting seeds for indoors like papaya, dwarf pomegranate, sugar apple. These can also be found from http://www.onedollarseedstore.com/ They are out of quebec as well. Certain papaya's are said to fruit within a year from germination sometimes, as well as dwarf pomegranate. And I've heard that sugar apples taste great.

Last year I planted an annual flower garden as we were planning on moving. But it ended up not being our year to move. So now we have a lot of open garden space.

This is the garden last year.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

gardening begins in Jan.jpg
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This a good time of the year to get your seeds for an early start on next years crops. Here are 40 free catalogues to get seeds to plants that be something different than what everyone else has offered at the local nursery.
https://www.almanac.com/content/garden- ... alogs-mail

I used to use Stokes, myself.
https://www.stokeseeds.com/ca/?gclid=Cj ... 9SEALw_wcB

Start saving your egg cartons to use as starter pots.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Early Spring? !!!!

Post by Tootsie »

I have hopes that it'll be an early Spring. For one thing, we deserve it after this crappy few weeks. PLUS today - the nicest ray of hope ! SIX robins on neighbours tree! Sometimes we'll see one or two and think OK those are the stupid ones that never left. But SIX at once !?
OK I know ...I'm going to hear this "well you know ...with climate change more robins are staying the winter here. I don't wanna hear it ! I'm very comfy in my little "believe bubble" right now !!! LOL !!!!
So yes - absolutely plan those gardens now ! You'll thank me. :D
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Seedy Sunday.jpg
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My snowdrops are up :D
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

OXA Annual Plant Sale

Hosted by Okanagan Xeriscape Association

Saturday, 2 May 2020 from 09:00-12:00

4075 Gordon Dr, Kelowna, BC V1W 5J2, Canada
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I have a question for the experts.
A variety of bulbs are starting to peak through the dirt, with some up 3 or 4 inches. The weather forecast is calling for some overnight temperatures down to -6 or so.
Will these bulbs be okay or should they be covered on the colder nights?

Thanks.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

No need to cover, they'll be just fine. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Did anyone make it to the Kelowna Seedy Saturday? I meant to, but forgot to enter it in my calendar so missed it completely. :/

Return to “Creative Endeavours”