Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2020!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Re: Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2020!

Post by Brushy Bill »

Waiting on Vernon's Seedy Saturday
Looking to start some veggies soon, wondering what needs an early start ?
Usually just put seeds in the ground, may try to gt a jump to increase yield
mmt

Gardening 2020

Post by mmt »

Where do any of you buy bulk soil? Big Yellow Bag is all I know. Does Greenery sell bulk soil? How do you like it? Where else? 2 years ago, I tried one on KLO I think, my plants did not do well. Big Yellow Bag is now about $150 incl tax. I'm finding other options with fairly good quality and a little cheaper. :biggrin:
Thank you all!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Anyone know for sure if deer dine on Cosmos plants?

If they do eat them, is there any annual that they leave alone? I am looking for color outside my entry way which is shady in morning, filtered sun in afternoon.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

^^^ according to my elderly neighbour who is an avid gardener, they don't like Cosmos
That said if there is a shortage of food or they are young they will eat nearly anything.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening 2020

Post by Lady tehMa »

mmt wrote:Where do any of you buy bulk soil? Big Yellow Bag is all I know. Does Greenery sell bulk soil? How do you like it? Where else? 2 years ago, I tried one on KLO I think, my plants did not do well. Big Yellow Bag is now about $150 incl tax. I'm finding other options with fairly good quality and a little cheaper. :biggrin:
Thank you all!

You can order it from Art Knapps, there is a delivery fee - unless you have a truck or trailer of your own, in that case it is cheaper.
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote:You can order it from Art Knapps, there is a delivery fee - unless you have a truck or trailer of your own, in that case it is cheaper.

Mara Lumber also offers it too, you can even buy it by the 5 gal. bucket.

There is another place on Longhill @ Sexsmith, but be careful, I got a load from them and it was heavy in clay and weed seeds.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sadly I worked a split shift that day and did not make it.

I am torn. This is the year I wanted to down size gardening. yes, downsize. But now? With looming threats of food shortages, the farmers market is cancelled and who knows when it comes back, what to do?

With how things appear to be in the moment, I'm going to be spending a lot of time self-isolating in the gardens! :admin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

How long are packaged, but opened seeds good for?
I'm doing an inventory of seeds and some are showing packed for 2019, sell by 12/19. These have been stored in my basement, temps averaging 15C. Are these seeds still good?

Others from 2017, my own seeds, are being thrown out.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

bb49 wrote:How long are packaged, but opened seeds good for?
I'm doing an inventory of seeds and some are showing packed for 2019, sell by 12/19. These have been stored in my basement, temps averaging 15C. Are these seeds still good?

Others from 2017, my own seeds, are being thrown out.

YES, they are still good. What vegetables are we talking about? I ask because, some can be "started" in advance to see if they are still viable.

Some will last longer than others. The smaller the seed, the longer they will last. Pea seeds don't last as long as carrot seeds.

Throwing out your own seeds.....would be determined by how they were preserved and kept over the years. Moisture, sunlight, and oxygen, are the biggest detriment to those seeds.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Interestingthings

Post by Interestingthings »

mmt wrote:Where do any of you buy bulk soil? Big Yellow Bag is all I know. Does Greenery sell bulk soil? How do you like it? Where else? 2 years ago, I tried one on KLO I think, my plants did not do well. Big Yellow Bag is now about $150 incl tax. I'm finding other options with fairly good quality and a little cheaper. :biggrin:
Thank you all!

Never mind I think we use Art Knapp lol
What if we’re not the USS Enterprise, which realized what was going on with the temporal anomaly and figured out how to break free? What if we’re the USS Bozeman, a Soyuz-class ship captained by Kelsey Grammer and didn’t realize it?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Left-over seeds are always fine next year (and sometimes for years afterwards) if placed in sealable plastic baggies and frozen. I was pleasantly surprised that lettuce seeds that were five years old germinated and produced abundantly for last years garden.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The Afternoon was spent turning soil over in preparation for planting spring edibles. This week: radishes, lettuce, spinach and green onion seeds will be planted and, if only I had pea fencing, peas would go in the ground tomorrow morning.

When it warms up a bit, in go zuchinni, carrots, spuds and green beans. Then Black Krim tomato plants :biggrin:

The rhubarb is shooting up nicely but parsley looks like it died.

Love to thumb my nose at pricey grocery store vegs. Their prices will be jawdropping as the looney falls like a stone.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Yesterday I pruned the side yard - climbing rose canes and tayberry/raspberry canes made simply walking there hazardous. That took about 2 hours.

Today I attacked the deck bed - quack grass infestation. That was 3 hours. I seriously hope the world burns and I don't have to deal with that epitome of evil again . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I will take quack grass over the evil morning glory weed, anytime. [icon_lol2.gif]

Unknown
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Been watching Charles Dowding on Ytube, getting some ideas, being a nube I need help
Looking at sprouting some peas, but have been told they don't do well in hot Oky weather
Anyone have luck and some tips maybe
tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRVSNYTVLRs

Return to “Creative Endeavours”