In Memory of Gramma Freddie

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

In Memory of Gramma Freddie

Post by alanjh595 »

She was a huge supporter of:

More backyard chickens

BC SPCA seeing 'surge' of interest in backyard chickens
More backyard chickens

With British Columbians self-isolating at home in 2020 due to COVID-19, communities across B.C. have seen a surge of interest in homesteading activities, such as baking, gardening and preserving.

Whether it’s the desire to be self-sufficient or just having extra time around the house, more people are also expressing an interest in raising backyard chickens.

But Melissa Speirs, farm animal manager for the BC SPCA, says raising backyard chickens can be a lot of work and can present challenges people may not be prepared for.

“It’s important for anyone interested in raising a backyard flock to thoroughly research what’s involved and to plan carefully before deciding if it is a good fit for them.”

Speirs says some of the questions that individuals should consider are:

Are backyard chickens legal in my community?
Do I have the knowledge and skills necessary to provide adequate care for chickens?
Do I have access to suitable nutrition and veterinary care in my community?
What will I do if I have unwanted chickens/roosters?
What do I plan to do with my chickens once they stop laying eggs?
How will I protect my flock from predators and poor weather?
How will I dispose of chicken waste, feathers, and possible carcasses?
Am I aware of the human health risks associated with keeping chickens?
Do I know how to humanely catch and transport a chicken?
Am I able to provide an environment for the chickens that meet the requirements of the Canadian Code of Practice of egg-laying hens?
“This surge in backyard chickens being raised by unprepared guardians can have many negative animal welfare consequences,” says Speirs. “The BC SPCA is receiving more calls to rescue unwanted chickens, who have been abandoned to fend for themselves. They are vulnerable to predators, bad weather, and struggle to find food, potentially leading to starvation and death if not rescued.”

She notes that roosters are more at risk of being abandoned as they are less desirable to hobby farmers.

“When chicks are purchased, it is difficult to tell if they are male or female, so they are raised until they are a few months old and it is easier to tell them apart. Since male chickens don’t lay eggs, and can sometimes be aggressive with the hens or other roosters in the flock, people often get rid of them.”

Marcie Moriarty, chief prevention and enforcement officer for the BC SPCA, says the BC SPCA understands that there are situations where people can no longer care for their animals. “We will always be here as a safety net to take in these animals when they are surrendered to us, but we also want to remind the public that not only is it cruel to abandon an animal, it is also illegal and punishable under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.”

The BC SPCA offers guidelines on what you need to know when considering raising backyard chickens. For more information, visit spca.bc.ca/news/backyard-chickens.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/305632 ... d-chickens
Bring back the LIKE button.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: In Memory of Gramma Freddie

Post by gardengirl »

With gardening season upon us, I have also been missing Gramma Freddie.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Post by Lady tehMa »

I didn't actually like her, or agree with her on many topics. But I did appreciate her knowledge.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Shortly before she passed away, she had offered me all her photography books. The road conditions at that time were not conducive to driving down to Grand Forks, so I held off for better weather. I regret not being able to see her.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

kgcayenne wrote: Jul 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm Shortly before she passed away, she had offered me all her photography books. The road conditions at that time were not conducive to driving down to Grand Forks, so I held off for better weather. I regret not being able to see her.
Aww, that's too bad.

She was a generous soul.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

kgcayenne wrote: Jul 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm Shortly before she passed away, she had offered me all her photography books. The road conditions at that time were not conducive to driving down to Grand Forks, so I held off for better weather. I regret not being able to see her.
That was sweet of her. We went out for a beer a couple of times. She certainly lived a life. She's dearly missed.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I miss her too - and missed an opportunity to go on a field trip with her. The love of photography brings people together but unfortunately I never did meet her.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

I met her and had lunch together, she WAS A REAL character.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

had lunch every two weeks til she moved to Grand Forks
Colorful woman
AIADMF
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

She is definitely missed (I enjoyed reading Her posts in regional), I enjoyed her challenges in photo game.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

She will be missed for her advocacy for "Back yard Chickens".
grammafreddy wrote: Nov 20th, 2008, 9:49 pm
flamingfingers wrote:
Yess!!

I would LOVE to have my own little flock of Rhode Island Reds again! I had six that supplied all the lovely big brown eggs our family could use and I sold the rest to the neighbors who were happy to buy them (at $1 a dozen). I also raised Harcos and Barred Rocks but RIRs are my favorites.

I think the brooding part would be the most difficult for the newbie but for a half dozen babies it is manageable. Keep me posted on your progress g'fred.
Well, FF. I am already allowed to have chickens. I was just offering up reasons why more urban dwellers and single family homeowners on a city lot might want to raise chickens and offered to help them. Without any interest, there will be no "progress" other than I will have chickens and others won't.

If enough people were interested, we could request council change the bylaw to allow chickens. Victoria and Esquimalt allow chickens in R1 zoning, as do Chicago and a number of other large (and small) places. Why not here, since they want to be so "green"???

The RIR are a nice bird. My fav, the Red Sussex are a cross between the RIR (good egg production) and the Columbian Rock - a bird known for its good meat and sweet, calm disposition. The RIR rooster can be a bit too feisty and protective for my liking. I had a RIR rooster once that attacked me whenever I was outside and I wasn't too pleased about that. He tasted just fine in the stew pot! I don't plan on ever having roosters again, so that won't be an issue with me now. The RIR come from Rochester Hatchery unsexed - you get what you get. The RSX can be ordered as just pullets, which is ideal for city living. The minimum order is 25 birds - which I certainly don't need, but I would be interested in combining orders with other people who want the same.

I also know where I can get full grown white and brown egg layers if anyone is interested in having hens without the brooding issues. These are not meat birds by any stretch of the imagination, though. They are strictly layers, which also would do me just fine. If I am working, I may not want to deal with brooding chicks. Last time I bought these hens, they were either 50 cents or a buck each. I was happy with them, as well.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If I remember correctly I think I met her once at a G2G just before she moved.

I could be wrong. I enjoyed her postings and she is missed on here.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

GF and I and a friend had a picnic lunch at Father Pandosy Mission when I still lived in Westbank (now WK) before I moved to Nelson. Yes, she was a character! She moved to GF while I was in Nelson and I invited her to come for a visit to see my backyard laying hens. She never did manage to make it but I sent a few dozen eggs with my daughter which she dropped off to GF and had a little visit. She apparently was not doing too well health-wise but was glad for the eggs. She'd had quite the life!
Chill
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Here's the original thread - can't believe how long it's been since she left this world to join the next one.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57067

Didn't realize how much she moved around - what a life she led.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

Grammafreddie reminded me a lot of my mom. You always knew where you stood with her. Strong and independent, lover of nature, and a bit rough around the edges. There was none of this pretending to like what you are saying nonsense. No beating around the bush; straight and to the point. Take it or leave it, she was always willing to tell you her honest opinion. This is a quality hard to find in a world where people just want to dish out meaningless compliments to get you to like them.

I can't believe it's coming up on 8 years since her passing. RIP, Sue.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Creative Endeavours”