What are you canning?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

What are you canning?

Post by Bsuds »

Canning season is upon us!

We were given a large amount of Apricots which we have turned into 35 jars of Jam and 2 Apricot desserts.

25lbs of Silverskin onions being made into pickles. (A lot of work)

We did Dill pickles a week ago and got 20 lbs of Peaches delivered last night that we will be canning in the next few days.

Lots of frozen string Beans from the garden as well.

Putting our new stove to the test and so far loving it.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Re: What are you canning?

Post by Lady tehMa »

That sounds wonderful!

This year (and last) I'm not doing any canning. I think I'd have liked to have done pickles, except that I just couldn't organize myself.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We are half way through the Silverskins so 12.5 lbs to go. Can only do 3 lbs at a time. It just doesn't taste the same doubling the recipe. We do 2 batches at a time in the canner though to get 6 jars.

We peel them while sitting in front of the TV, then they sit in the brine overnight and can in the morning.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I made an extra large batch of borscht a couple weeks ago and canned some of it.
My first time ever, and I didn't mind it.
I would like to buy a steam canning pot in the near future, to decrease time and not heat up the kitchen as much.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Steam canning is just a pressure cooker and is only recommended for high acid foods. I don't think Borsht is one of those so you would still need to use a water bath.

Water canner is a better and safer choice.

If you want to keep the house cooler then maybe an outside cooker would work.
rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

Bsuds wrote:Steam canning is just a pressure cooker and is only recommended for high acid foods. I don't think Borsht is one of those so you would still need to use a water bath.

Water canner is a better and safer choice.

If you want to keep the house cooler then maybe an outside cooker would work.

That sounded backwards to me, Bsuds. I used a pressure canner for years - did lots of wild game and fish in both jars and tin cans. I thought maybe I remembered it wrong or something had changed, so I went looking:
If you want to can unpickled vegetables, soup stocks, beans, or any non-acidic food, you’ve got to use a special piece of equipment called a pressure canner.

Other foods, including fruit, sweet preserves, and pickles can be safely canned in a boiling water bath without special equipment.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/pressure- ... 0equipment.

I had the double-decker version. As I recall, the pressure canner didn't make a huge difference in reducing the heat in the kitchen. An outdoor kitchen could help, but you'd have to be out there in the heat monitoring the pressure canner.

Handy chart:
https://extension.umn.edu/preserving-an ... ence-chart

I did can fish in a water bath canner before I bought the steam processor, but I wouldn't recommend it. Steam canning seems to refer to a different process. (My former mother-in-law used to can fish in the oven. Scary.)
More:
https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_home.html

Happy canning, y'all!
Ideology...gives evil-doing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination...[it] is the social theory which helps to make his actions seem good instead of bad in his own and others' eyes...
-Solzhenitsyn
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

Better half is doing Apricots today. Another years supply of Apricot jam coming up. :biggrin:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Rustled is correct. As a matter of fact, nowadays you should can produce exclusively using a pressure canner. I have canned almost everything from mussels to salsa and would never use a water bath canner for anything!

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-fo ... zecz11zsmi

ETA:
Botulinum spores are very hard to destroy at boiling-water temperatures; the higher the canner temperature, the more easily they are destroyed. Therefore, all low-acid foods should be sterilized at temperatures of 240° to 250°F, attainable with pressure canners operated at 10 to 15 PSIG. PSIG means pounds per square inch of pressure as measured by gauge. The more familiar "PSI" designation is used hereafter in this publication (the Complete Guide to Home Canning). At temperatures of 240° to 250°F, the time needed to destroy bacteria in low-acid canned food ranges from 20 to 100 minutes.

The exact time depends on the kind of food being canned, the way it is packed into jars, and the size of jars. The time needed to safely process low-acid foods in a boiling-water canner ranges from 7 to 11 hours; the time needed to process acid foods in boiling water varies from 5 to 85 minutes.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/general/ensur ... 0of%20jars.

**The temperature of a boiling water bath is 212 degrees. Temperatures attained with a pressure canner can be a high as 250 degrees. Temperature + time will kill botulinin spores and ensure safety of canned foods.**
Last edited by flamingfingers on Aug 19th, 2020, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chill
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

anyone canning crabapples? Hated them as a kid, now I crave them
AIADMF
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Sort of a related question,
I recently started making Cold Brew coffee and tea.
I was thinking of bottling some of it for personal use.
Any ideas of the best method without high temperatures?

Return to “Creative Endeavours”