Building a Greenhouse

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Building a Greenhouse

Post by Lady tehMa »

Couldn't get it all sorted in time, so it will be a spring project :/ But, at least we have all the glass!
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Couldn't get it all sorted in time, so it will be a spring project :/ But, at least we have all the glass!

I suggest that you cover the ground where you plan to build, with black plastic.
This will help shed the water/snow from the area to give you an earlier start to the building process.
It's supposed to be a long, cold winter, and if you have to wait until it is dry/warm enough to start building......it's already too late to make the best use of the greenhouse this year. (Pardon me, next year.)
Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

alanjh595 wrote:
Lady tehMa wrote:Couldn't get it all sorted in time, so it will be a spring project :/ But, at least we have all the glass!

I suggest that you cover the ground where you plan to build, with black plastic.
This will help shed the water/snow from the area to give you an earlier start to the building process.
It's supposed to be a long, cold winter, and if you have to wait until it is dry/warm enough to start building......it's already too late to make the best use of the greenhouse this year. (Pardon me, next year.)

Yeah, my buddy was discussing that. He's waiting for the shortest days to see where we should put it exactly, to maximize sun exposure.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595 wrote:

Lady tehMa wrote:Yeah, my buddy was discussing that. He's waiting for the shortest days to see where we should put it exactly, to maximize sun exposure.

I think that you are over-estimating sunlight in a greenhouse. Too much exposure will produce too much heat and cause your plants to go "spindly"
Greenhouses are great for getting an early start on the growing season, but just like fertilizer, they need to be used in moderation. There has been no mention yet as to what the intended purpose is for the greenhouse. It makes a big difference if it is veggies, orchids, or year-round growing.
For example, lettuce does not do well in a greenhouse, but tomatoes do better. For me, I use a greenhouse to get seedlings a good start and protect them from any harsh, cold temps that may occur in the early spring, that will kill off the small tender plants.
Here in the Okanagan, a greenhouse is virtually useless between late June and mid August.
If I was further up North, I would change my planting and growing schedule.
https://www.planetnatural.com/greenhouse-kits/

Monday, December 21 is the shortest day of the year, the ambient temp. has already been too cold to be useful for growing. When in doubt, keep an eye on the commercial growers and see what they are doing and when.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

This is interesting https://geo-dome.co.uk/article.asp?uname=dome_plans

A geo dome makes sense for a greenhouse. I'm thinking 20ft diameter, heated and with power. That would be large enough to have a small raised pond in the centre and the pterodactyls couldn't eat my Koi. The whole thing could be on a foundation dug into the ground a couple of feet or three to help modulate the temperature.
I birn quil I se
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Hey Ma, dunno if you remember our greenhouse when you came by.
Know this is an oldie but figured I would toss in my nickels worth.
You can find the sliding doors out of "patio doors" at restores they make a great south wall, they need minimum bracing and are double glazed tempered units.
Home Depot or = for a supply of clear corrugated plastic for the roof and if you like other walls, cut it with scissors not a saw as it will shatter. Use your blocks to build a North wall as high as possible, it will warm up in the sun and will give off its warmth during the night. We built a rock and cement wall on a foundation for our north wall, with insulation of the north face exterior.
Welcome to cruise by anytime you are in the neighborhood, we are fully vaccinated.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I Think, I believe you have a new name? If you are who I am thinking of, you enjoyed meeting my kids and showing them around . . .

The greenhouse project is currently stalled as the main engineer of the project (my buddy) got a boat this year and has been doing a lot of repairs and fishing.

But we do have a pile of windows, and 2 full sets of sliding patio doors!

Thanks for the invite! I've stopped driving though, so I don't know when I'd be able to stop by.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”