Apple Storage

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Apple Storage

Post by TylerM4 »

Apple tree looks really healthy this year. I suspect I'm going to have 100+ pounds of apples soon.

Last year I was disappointed with how long they lasted. I had a big 40lb box in our garage which is cooler than the house as it's not heated. Only got about a month before they started to wrinkle and go soft. I know people successfully store them longer, my grandparents used to offer me their apples in Jan/Feb and they were still in pretty good condition.

Any tips for storage other than "a cool place"? Thanks!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Apple Storage

Post by oneh2obabe »

Granny would sort the apples by size and place in boxes or crates - large ones always got used/eaten first as they don't store as well. Helped her check the apples for soft spots, bruises, worms, split fruit and any bug damage - those were given to whatever farm animal gramps had at the time.

She had a root cellar and after the apples were inspected each apple was wrapped in newspaper and loosely packed in whatever container she was using - told me they lasted longer than way.

If you don't have a root cellar, a cold garage, shed or if you're lucky and have a cold room in the basement will do just as well.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

Dehydrate them. They'll last years that way.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Granny would sort the apples by size and place in boxes or crates - large ones always got used/eaten first as they don't store as well. Helped her check the apples for soft spots, bruises, worms, split fruit and any bug damage - those were given to whatever farm animal gramps had at the time.

She had a root cellar and after the apples were inspected each apple was wrapped in newspaper and loosely packed in whatever container she was using - told me they lasted longer than way.

If you don't have a root cellar, a cold garage, shed or if you're lucky and have a cold room in the basement will do just as well.

I agree totally. Loosely is key, to allow air circulation. Lack of light, is also important, a garage has too much light. Removing damaged fruit is another must do. Exposed flesh gives off a gas (off gassing) that will speed up the spoilage of surrounding fruit. (If you want to test my theory, buy 6 bananas or tomatoes, put 3 in a cool dark place and the other 3 in a plastic bag) See which ones go ripe faster.
Also, store in smaller boxes. One big container will create a heavier pressure on the fruit near the bottom.
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote:Dehydrate them. They'll last years that way.

I make apple sauce and freeze it muffin tins. Once frozen, I take them out and bag them in heavy duty freezer bags.
Bring back the LIKE button.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Thanks and please keep the tips coming!

I do plan to dehydrate some. The kiddos eat them as fast as I can dehydrate them!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Cold and either a bit of airflow or perhaps the old root cellar dirt walls absorbed the ethylene?
You and 71 others Like this post
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Peel, core, slice or dice, mix with FruitFresh and sugar, freeze in Ziploc bags. Ready for pies, sauce, or out of the bag and topped with ice cream!!
Chill
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Thank-you!

Freezer space is at a premium these days.
Bought a side of beef this summer from a local rancher, and we also have a peach tree, plus blueberries, and a large strawberry patch. The freezers are already busting with local frozen beef and other fruit I've grown - as it is the wife gets frustrated at me whenever she comes home with groceries as there's never any freezer space. She'd prefer to just get it from the grocery store but her family is from way up north where they never got fresh fruit. Meanwhile I grew up on Okanagan farms and can't stand to buy from the store - the quality usually sucks, the varieties sold are grown for impressive looks and shelf life vs flavor, and the price is shocking.

Anyway I digress - I'll be freezing some for sure but am hoping that I can store at least 1/2 of them outside of a freezer.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We make apple sauce and Mrs S cans it and we freeze some too.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

I buy 80 lbs of Mac's every fall and box them up and put them into a spare fridge in the shop. I like to make my apple sauce and pies fresh. They last, unwrinkled until about March.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I wonder if anyone knows the correct temperature to store them. Packing houses manage to keep them from spoiling right into the spring.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Granny wrapped each apple - said if one spoiled it wouldn't affect the rest - and kept them in the root cellar between 30-32°F and tried to keep the humidity around 90%.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

My family would make juice & can it (unfortunately their appears to shortage canning lids), hard part is finding someone with a large juicer.

Added: We would usually juice couple hundred pounds of apples.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gardengirl wrote:I wonder if anyone knows the correct temperature to store them. Packing houses manage to keep them from spoiling right into the spring.

I believe they store in controlled environment as well.

"According to Watkins, we have a technology called Controlled Atmosphere (CA) storage to thank for being to eat an apple whenever we please. In CA storage rooms, the temperature, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and humidity levels are adjusted to form hospitable hibernation environments for apples being stored after harvest."
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”