Apple Storage

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Re: Apple Storage

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:
gardengirl wrote:I wonder if anyone knows the correct temperature to store them. Packing houses manage to keep them from spoiling right into the spring.

I believe they store in controlled environment as well.

"According to Watkins, we have a technology called Controlled Atmosphere (CA) storage to thank for being to eat an apple whenever we please. In CA storage rooms, the temperature, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and humidity levels are adjusted to form hospitable hibernation environments for apples being stored after harvest."

Yes, I agree. The Carbon Dioxide factor is very important. Ripening fruit gives off CO2 and O2 is bad for situations where slowing ripening is the desired result. Look at old world "root cellars". They reduced the amount of O2 and the dirt absorbed a good portion of what got in. The ripening fruit that were also off gassing CO2 at the same time, and forcing the O2 out.

Fruit storage has become a science by using artificial refrigeration and forced CO2 into the storage facility for supplying fruit to all those that don't have access to a root cellar.

I still have not figured out how Costco has been able to promote CO2 filled tires as being better. It sounds like a bunch of hot air, to me.
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

OOOpppss.....my bad, they are claiming using Nitrogen, not CO2. Even at that....

Nitrogen gas (N2) makes up 78.1% of the Earth's atmosphere.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:I still have not figured out how Costco has been able to promote CO2 filled tires as being better. It sounds like a bunch of hot air, to me.

It's Nitrogen not C02 they promote becuse the moleculed are smaller and do not seep out of the tires as fast.

Just a bunch of BS and cash grab.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote:
It's Nitrogen not C02 they promote becuse the moleculed are smaller and do not seep out of the tires as fast.

Just a bunch of BS and cash grab.

Yup. Except Nitrogen molecules are LARGER not smaller and therefor don't seep out as quickly.

The other advantage to nitrogen is that it expands more/less with temperature change. Apparently useful in airplanes that quickly transition from -35* to + 35* but not really needed in a car.

Plus if you think about it. 78% nitrogen to start. But over time the oxygen seeps out while the nitrogen is retained. After a few top-ups you'll be at 85-90% nitrogen anyway.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote:
Yup. Except Nitrogen molecules are LARGER not smaller and therefor don't seep out as quickly.

You're right, my brain fart.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:
TylerM4 wrote:

You're right, my brain fart.

Is that what I smelled, I thought it was Hydrogen sulfide.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote:Is that what I smelled, I thought it was Hydrogen sulfide.

Hard to say. Forums reek of BS even on a good day :up:

Return to “Creative Endeavours”