Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by normaM »

I like grass, so does the doggo! Not keen on that fake stuff and don't like the whole rocks and tall grass look on against most houses.
Wish the behind neighbours would remove a few of the giant trees.. but for the cost I know they won't. Massive sucking water from my yard things. I did toss seeds over the fence so now ivy climbs up a few.. quite pretty
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

2 Veggie beds cleaned of weeds and 1 to go!

I hate :cuss: weeds!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

One word....."Roundup"!

I was just out with my blow torch frying weeds in between the rock wall border and the sidewalk. Smells bad, but I got over it quickly.

Just waiting for the ants to come back.......hehehe
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:One word....."Roundup"!
:up:

I will use some of that around the boxes to kill the grass but not on the weeds in the boxes.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I did not get to do running around today (car failed - hoping husband can get it running tomorrow) so I did a bit of gardening instead.

I moved a few plants to better locations. Realized exactly how much weeding I have yet to do and then whimpered a bit.

Tomorrow I hope to get a few irrigation parts, I need to fill in part of one line where I removed a volunteer juniper (invaded from a neighbour's yard) because otherwise, all I have is a great dry spot.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Weeding is done except for spraying the invading grasses and weeds encroaching the area.

I do have some irrigation repairs to do as well. But that's pretty much normal every year there is something to fix.

Unlike lady I carry lots of spare parts. Saves me trips to the hardware store. :biggrin:
IMG_0361 (Copy).jpeg
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We went to Buckerfields and got some seeds and when we got home I repaired the broken irrigation line. Put an elbow in that curved line as well.
Almost ready to plant.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

On March 16 I planted ancient lettuce seeds (6 years old, stored in freezer) and didn’t even bother to water them in as we were expecting rain that we didn’t get. If they grow or not, who cares. Today I finally got back to my plot, and lo, lettuces all up and doing just fine. Grinning, I planted the spuds and readied beds for carrot seeds tomorrow.

‘Twas a fine day passed completely maskless. Birdies chirping everywhere. :up:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bsuds wrote:Weeding is done except for spraying the invading grasses and weeds encroaching the area.

I do have some irrigation repairs to do as well. But that's pretty much normal every year there is something to fix.

Unlike lady I carry lots of spare parts. Saves me trips to the hardware store. :biggrin:
IMG_0361 (Copy).jpeg
Looking good, Bsuds!

I should have extras - and I do. But not the part I needed - isn't that how it always works? I needed some connector barbs. They were all out of the straight ones so I figured the 90 bend one wouldn't be a problem. Should work. That and a couple more spray heads.

I got half my tree bed weeded - the dry is working with me on that front.

Cat - I swear you are magic. Your garden is always amazing.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I guess if beersuds can post pictures... :biggrin:
Started pulling one of my composts apart :digging:(oh my aching back! ) and spread it on two of the garden boxes. That was maybe a tenth of the compost that's available.
Here's one of the boxes with compost dumped on it.
The box beside it has all garlic coming up. About 90 of them. :200:
In the background are two rows of blueberries. I had to move them a year and a half ago and last spring only two died so I replaced them with a different version. Fingers are crossed for a blockbuster harvest this year.
The green that is coming up all around the blueberries is fall rye that I planted last fall.
IMG_20210404_152509.jpg
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Hours in the garden today, and I still didn't get it all done. I did get the tree bed weeded enough to put water on, though.
I transplanted daylilies into a sunlit space, then moved rudbeckia to a spot that needed filling in.

What I need to do is get my strawberries replanted in my hanging pots and railing planters.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Got my carrots in and few zuc seeds. Forecast is for SNOW??? Seeds won’t be harmed. Lots of green onion tops for supper salad fixings.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

For those deciding what to grow.

Might be his top 10 but for me, it's 8.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I walked into the kitchen a short time ago only to find one of our cats on the countertop eating the tops off my little tomato plants! :swear: :cuss: :swear:
They were about an inch or two high. :cuss: :cuss: cat.

And right beside them were some long, spindly kale plants that were growing too fast. Why not eat them! :cuss: :swear: :cuss: :cuss: cat.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

bb49 wrote:And right beside them were some long, spindly kale plants that were growing too fast. Why not eat them! :cuss: :swear: :cuss: :cuss: cat.
They have a discerning palate - that's why they don't touch the kale. Can't say I blame them.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”