Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by Lady tehMa »

bb49 wrote: Oct 14th, 2021, 9:50 pm Thanks Lady.
Mine were hit by frost last night, leaves are black.
With a lot of yard and garden work on the agenda, the dahlias should be dug up in a week or two.
BTW, are the pronounced "dollias" or "daylias"
Like oneH2Obabe says - can be either. If I'm talking with someone and they use a certain pronunciation, I will as well. Either works for me.

I did get them dug up yesterday! :yahoo:

Now to battle with husband about storage. We're in the middle of a sort/purge thing and he wants things out, not in.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Fall Gold Raspberries.

They do a second crop in the fall. They are super sweet, and still producing!

https://www.monrovia.com/fall-gold-raspberry.html

I really love these.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Guess who came by today?

A hummingbird! :200:

October 30th, does he know what the date is?
The latest we've ever had one of these little critters hang around would be maybe the third week of September. But here it is a month later.
We assume it's one that's been here before as there wasn't a feeder hanging up so he flew right up to the window where my wife was sitting.
They've always done this in the past if the feeder is empty or gone.

So under orders from my wife, I hung up a feeder hoping it's enough to get him through the night and on his way tomorrow.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:200:
Poor thing! Glad you folks are looking out for him.

I still haven't put my hoses away >_<
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Putting the gardens away this year seemed a little tougher, harder to get through. Without my garden buddy to cheer me up, follow me around and general "help" I feel it's all abit harder. Plus I'm older.

I have mounds of compost to distribute and many volunteer plants taking over, as per usual. Next year I want a different "look" to certain areas. I never got one single Heavenly Blue morning glory to bloom this year either.

Food values down due to heat dome, wave and ongoing drought. I pray next year will be better, wetter.

I have frozen berries to do something with and soon. Also I have to get moms freezer for next year, she's offered it to me.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Hoses done today - finally.

I would like next year to be wetter, as well.

I've had no luck at all with the blue morning glory - but purple has seeded all over the place.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Lady tehMa wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 10:30 pm Hoses done today - finally.

I would like next year to be wetter, as well.

I've had no luck at all with the blue morning glory - but purple has seeded all over the place.
This year I planted 3 groupings of morning glories. Spectacular growth, but no flowering. Did not fertilize at all, as recommended. Was it because of the odd weather this year? Advice???
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I would love to offer advice, but most of what I grow is by fluke XD

Honestly, my best morning glories were self-seeded and one was growing up the bottom stair post, from between concrete pavers! Huh, thought I had a picture of that, will have to look for it.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Lady tehMa wrote: Nov 6th, 2021, 9:30 am I would love to offer advice, but most of what I grow is by fluke XD

Honestly, my best morning glories were self-seeded and one was growing up the bottom stair post, from between concrete pavers! Huh, thought I had a picture of that, will have to look for it.
It was the blue morning glories I planted. Do you think perhaps there was something wrong with the seed?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I don't know - QK is a fantastic gardener, amazing really - and she had the same trouble you did. Possibly? Or maybe it just didn't like the conditions?
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Lady tehMa wrote: Nov 6th, 2021, 9:35 am I don't know - QK is a fantastic gardener, amazing really - and she had the same trouble you did. Possibly? Or maybe it just didn't like the conditions?
I have been told that you never fertilize morning glory - if you do, you will only end up with alot of foliage and no flowers.
Also been told to plant them in lousy soil, next to no nutrients at all. That they do not like to be transplanted.
Will be looking for lousy soil next year. (have no idea how to put that together).

Interesting note: I have always saved seeds from my marigolds, protected my vegetable with them, and even dug a trench down the driveway and did a hedge. Many years ago when I was buying a tray of marigolds, the nursery worker told me to save my seeds from this years crop because the following year they were going to stock sterile plants and seed collection would be useless. Anyone else heard something like that? Maybe they did that the following year, but today's plants seeds work.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:135:
That IS interesting, two_shoes

I hadn't heard that before.

Do you know about Seedy Sunday? Go to Facebook and type in "Kelowna Seedy Sunday" - it's a really neat seed saving/swapping thing
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Lady tehMa wrote: Nov 6th, 2021, 1:03 pm :135:
That IS interesting, two_shoes

I hadn't heard that before.

Do you know about Seedy Sunday? Go to Facebook and type in "Kelowna Seedy Sunday" - it's a really neat seed saving/swapping thing
Thank you for the info.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sterile seeds is evil. A work against Nature.

Pretty soon I expect an Orwellian announcement like, "gardening is bad for you and goes against the State."

Thanks Lady t for the gardening compliment *blushes*. I am muddling through. I plan to replant the Bee Balm you gave me out of the wheelbarrows and into the soil, maybe today. Planting garlic today too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I cut my lawn for the final time this year. Much later than usual, but hey, it was 10 or so degrees, the sun was shining and it cleaned up the leaves. :up:

And this day last year?
I had a memory come up of me snowblowing my driveway. It looked like about 6 or 8 inches of snow.

Next on the agenda, change the oil in the mower and pull out the snow blower.
Last edited by Babba_not_Gump on Nov 11th, 2021, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Creative Endeavours”