Strictly Woodwork

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Strictly Woodwork

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote::135: cooking in the woodworking shop?
Why not? I was woodworking in the kitchen in the winter months, I was still doing "masking" while watching my kitchen TV just one month ago.

Blow torch + large metal drywall trowel makes for a great griddle for making hot ham & cheese sandwiches for lunch.

I have used a propane space heater, turned on it's side to make fresh pizza on the job site.

Bring back the LIKE button.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I think the steam box I just made up can double as a veggie steamer :biggrin:
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I am sorry, So sorry that I lied to you.

I decided to start bending the ribs today

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

stuphoto wrote:I think the steam box I just made up can double as a veggie steamer :biggrin:
Make it a little larger and square and it could be a Swedish Sauna, Throw a dear skin over it and call it a sweat lodge.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Posts are up. Tenons on top. Beam has the half lap joint done. Now I will turn the beam over and make the mortises.
I have to brace the posts before planting the beams as well. I have not bolted them to the steel plate in the concrete as I suspect I'll need some room for adjustment in the posts when I slide the beams down on the tenons.
A fellow has some high saw horses we can get the beams up to 8' by lifting a little at a time. Each beam is about 500 pounds by my guestimation.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (24).jpg
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Oh, and Allan, I'll pass the Welsh cake recipe on. Glad you like them, been in her family for a couple of generations.

The cheese sticks were gone before we found our way out.. :130:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

seewood wrote:Oh, and Allan, I'll pass the Welsh cake recipe on. Glad you like them, been in her family for a couple of generations.

The cheese sticks were gone before we found our way out.. :130:
I am glad you enjoyed them but, they are better when warmed.

New batch coming up Tuesday......I am almost all out.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

seewood wrote:Posts are up. Tenons on top. Beam has the half lap joint done. Now I will turn the beam over and make the mortises.
I have to brace the posts before planting the beams as well. I have not bolted them to the steel plate in the concrete as I suspect I'll need some room for adjustment in the posts when I slide the beams down on the tenons.
A fellow has some high saw horses we can get the beams up to 8' by lifting a little at a time. Each beam is about 500 pounds by my guestimation.
That looks like it is going to be a beautiful addition once completed.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

alanjh595 wrote:
What a coincidence,
I was already planning on a trip to Kelowna on Tuesday [icon_lol2.gif]

Seewood
If you don't mind, I would love to see that in person when I am in town.
You could probably use some help raising the beams anyway.

Sorry, as much as I would like to bring the kayak skeleton along, my roofrack will be occupied for 1/2 the trip.
I am planning on bringing it to Kelowna before stretching the fabric, but I sometimes get ahead of myself.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

stuphoto wrote:If you don't mind, I would love to see that in person when I am in town.
PM sent.
I'll have to check the Welsh Cake stash....
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

stuphoto wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
What a coincidence,
I was already planning on a trip to Kelowna on Tuesday [icon_lol2.gif]
Tomorrow is looking like a better day, they will be hot and fresh out of the oven between 7 & 8 AM. Stop by, I will give you a couple for your trip back home.

Contact me by PM.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Finally got the half lap where I'm happy and tried the Makita chain mortiser out on the center mortise.
Thing works like a charm. I have some adjustments to make on the tenons at the top of the posts then will take some measurements to make the other two mortises.

Sorry I missed you yesterday Stu. Welsh cakes are in the freezer...

Webp.net-resizeimage (25).jpg
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Well.....today was the day I was planning on unclamping, rough sanding, and planning the White Oak boards that I had glued up out of strips of waste that I had collected. (Seewood, saw them when he was here).

After culling.....I ended up with 24sq/ft @ $9.70/sq/ft = $234

Not bad for a couple of hours worth of effort? It's a lot better than all the work just for pallet wood.

Now I just have to wait for the inspiration to come, and tell me what it want's to become.

How the morning went.......

Unclamped the last 3 boards, scraped off the glue, and rough sanded with an angle grinder, I picked the worst boards to plane 1st, as I knew my planer knives were just about shot.
Got through 4 boards and that was the end of the blades. Changed the blades out for a set that was marked, "One good side left".......well, I forgot to put the knife blade keeper back after changing the #1 blade, and I must have rotated the wrong way and exchanged the wrong blade/good side. Anyways, I got it all back together and on the first board there was as divot.

Okay.......took all the blades out and put in a brand new set. (Now I am up to two complete blade change-overs and I still haven't got one good board yet.) I was thinking that since I have so many boards to run, I would hook-up the dust collection for this batch.....( nothing more than a 4" hose to a garbage can with a sheet clamped over the top).

Everything was going great after that, no chips flying all over my shop.....until........it was time to dismantle and clean-up. There was an air leak on the backside of the garbage can collection device. I didn't notice it until I took the cover off and the can was empty. All the chips blew out and under my tool cabinets......and to make matters worse, when I reached into my tool cabinet to grab my last set of new planer knives, I left the door open (just a little bit) and that cabinet filled up with chips and dust. I am now going to have to remove everything from that cabinet, blow it out and the tools, and all the boxes of brads, staples, and misc boxes of hardware, then place them all back again.

Woodwork is easy, it's the clean-up that is the pain.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

It's looking great Seewood,
Sorry I didn't stay around Pentiction the other day and make it over. The fabric I wanted for the kayak was 75% off so I got excited and rushed home quicker to get to work.

I should be back there in 2 weeks, and if everything works out well you may be the first to see an 18' long boat.

I have had days like that Alan,
It's a good reminder of your days before the dust collection systems.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I would go and get a dust collector, but I just don't have the room for it. Ask Seewood about how small my shop is.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”