Car/Truck faded trim plastic

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Car/Truck faded trim plastic

Post by Bsuds »

So on my 08 F350 the door handles and some of the other plastic external parts are faded badly.

I read on the internet that one solution is to put Olive Oil on those parts so I tried it on a couple of door handles.

Well I'll beef hooked...it worked! :up: :up:
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Re: Car/Truck faded trim plastic

Post by alanjh595 »

Add a drop or two of balsamic vinegar and swipe some lettuce on them, and you got lunch. [icon_lol2.gif]
Bring back the LIKE button.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 2:01 pm So on my 08 F350 the door handles and some of the other plastic external parts are faded badly.

I read on the internet that one solution is to put Olive Oil on those parts so I tried it on a couple of door handles.

Well I'll beef hooked...it worked! :up: :up:

Kinda like how you can use toothpaste to polish up outer lenses, like headlamps or marker lamps, if they're not too pitted.
I've tried that, and metal polish, and it works like a "hot damn"...
The really bad stuff, you can usually start with wet sanding with 1000-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and then polish. :130:

Added...i've also used previously used canola oil from deep-fry night to bring dark plastic back to colour (albeit a temporary measure) Sure smells nice, unless it was fish night... :biggrin:
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

2manyfords wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm Kinda like how you can use toothpaste to polish up outer lenses, like headlamps or marker lamps, if they're not too pitted.
The really bad stuff, you can usually start with wet sanding with 1000-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and then polish. :130:

Added...i've also used previously used canola oil from deep-fry night to bring dark plastic back to colour (albeit a temporary measure) Sure smells nice, unless it was fish night... :biggrin:
They neighbourhood cats must be laying in wait for the next application. What is your cure for claw scratches on the hood and doors?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm What is your cure for claw scratches on the hood and doors?
Stop picking up Cougars at the bar.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm interested in how long it works for. Can't see how it would be any better than the purpose made products like ArmorAll. My experience with them is that it lasts for a few weeks before you need to re-apply.

Mind providing an update in a month B?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm What is your cure for claw scratches on the hood and doors?
There is no fixing a scratch that goes deeper than the clearcoat. Most cat scratches don't go deeper thankfully.

For surface scratches of any kind, a cut polish process is the only "fix". You can get waxes that'll fill in the scratch and make it less noticeable for a period of time. Cut polish works great on oxidized paint as well, just be careful not to get too aggressive. A good project to bring to a professional if you don't have a junker in the fleet to practice on. Most detailers will offer this service.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm
2manyfords wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm Kinda like how you can use toothpaste to polish up outer lenses, like headlamps or marker lamps, if they're not too pitted.

They neighbourhood cats must be laying in wait for the next application. What is your cure for claw scratches on the hood and doors?
Meh...I already have cats leaving paw prints everywhere.
Especially after a rain...I call it the "kitty camo" look. [icon_lol2.gif]
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:35 pm I'm interested in how long it works for. Can't see how it would be any better than the purpose made products like ArmorAll. My experience with them is that it lasts for a few weeks before you need to re-apply.

None of the "liquid" fixes last long, including ArmorAll.
And yes, you need to constantly re-apply. Need something that looks new...buy new :130:
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

All plastic trim parts are made from petroleum, so either try to bring oil back to surface again or add a type of oil.

To bring oil back to surface... do this on hot day, use heat gun on low and heat up the plastic part (important use on low only). As you see plastic returning to original colour move down trim part. Be very careful doing this.

Or add oil, use transmission fluid with highest amount of detergent out there. Place small amount on a rag and wipe, use a dry rag wipe off any residue.

Whatever you do never try to paint plastic trim parts.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

CarPro ceramic trim. Amazing product. Hobby of mine is detailing and I’ve tried many (more than I’d admit) products. It truly is an amazing product that’s easy to use.
AB042C3B-41AD-47C8-A025-60D788A2D237.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:34 pm
Stop picking up Cougars at the bar.
They are the ones that cause the scratches on the INSIDE of the door.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:35 pm I'm interested in how long it works for. Can't see how it would be any better than the purpose made products like ArmorAll. My experience with them is that it lasts for a few weeks before you need to re-apply.

You could be right about how long it lasts. I did 2 door handles a couple of weeks ago and they were just starting to fade a bit. Still way better than what they were before I did it. It might last longer after a few applications.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

try mineral oil next
AIADMF

Return to “Creative Endeavours”