Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by rustled »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 1:17 pm
rustled wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 1:03 pm

$1 a lineal foot. It's probably 6' wide. Amazon sells it different sizes AND different weights:
https://www.amazon.ca/Happybuy-Landscap ... 2070&psc=1
I think you'd likely find it by the foot at a local landscaping company, too.
Everybody around here sells it by the roll. Each of varying widths from 16" - 72".

Who wants to roll off 40 feet of 72" cloth and cut it into 16" strips to cover those tiny little gardens between the house and the sidewalk?

At any rate, I wouldn't drive to Rona to save $0.05/sq/ft on landscape cloth.
RSI 6 ft. Commercial All Weather Landscaping Ground Covering Rolls-150 ft.
$229.00 / each

RSI 6 ft. Commercial All Weather Landscaping Ground Covering Rolls-300 ft.
$359.00 / each
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rsi-6- ... 1001162360

Such a petty argument.....
My bad - I didn't even realize this had somehow turned into an argument! I'll leave you to it, then...
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Huh? What is there to argue about? If uncertain about price and sizes, do your own research.
Google is your only friend

For the purposes I was using the sheer curtains is that it drains well when used underneath a garden bed (perhaps I didn’t make that clear as crystal), and is lightweight, flexible and cheap. I didn’t use it to replace LF as I rarely left an inch of soil that wasn’t supporting my plants, and I grew loads of different varieties of flowers. Sheers are a good alternative if you should be as penniless as I was at that time, house rich, cash poor.

Pulled a few carrots today and heaps of lettuce

I clean carrots with my dollar store nailbrush.
EBECFE7E-1208-45EB-99DD-05F5C14C6E54.jpeg
Last edited by Catsumi on Jun 27th, 2022, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Catsumi wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 5:22 pm Huh? What is there to argue about? If uncertain about price and sizes, do your own research.

For the purposes I was using the sheer curtains is that it drains well when used underneath a garden bed (perhaps I didn’t make that clear as crystal), and is lightweight, flexible and cheap. I didn’t use it to replace LF as I rarely left an inch of soil that wasn’t supporting my plants, and I grew loads of different varieties of flowers. Sheers are a good alternative if you should be as penniless as I was at that time, house rich, cash poor.

Pulled a few carrots today and heaps of lettuce

I clean carrots with my dollar store nailbrush.

Yum!

Do you ever leave carrots in over the winter? I've been reading about a second planting later in the season, for winter carrots.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, Rusty, I plant carrots 3x over in succession (hence my early start in spring), but pull last planting out in mid autumn. Parsnips and carrots are supposed to get sweeter over winter when left in soil, but due to circumstances I’ve never tried it.

Those carrots are sweet, crisp and actually taste like carrots. Cooking them with dill. Dotted with butter and chow down :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Catsumi wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 5:37 pm Yes, Rusty, I plant carrots 3x over in succession (hence my early start in spring), but pull last planting out in mid autumn. Parsnips and carrots are supposed to get sweeter over winter when left in soil, but due to circumstances I’ve never tried it.

Those carrots are sweet, crisp and actually taste like carrots. Cooking them with dill. Dotted with butter and chow down :biggrin:
Sounds very tasty.

I used to leave parsnips in over the winter, but thought the carrots would go to mush as soon as the ground froze.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I think mulching around them might be the answer. Like a protection blanket …. Straw, hay or your favourite quilt should do.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

are you guys arguing over LS paper?
Carrots require too much force to munch - same as if you are attempting to bite off a finger
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Nah, no one silly enough to argue here, in gardening of all places. Haha

You have carved wooden teeth Norma? I can give you green beans in a week for you to gum.

:D

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 4:16 pm So is that $1/ft for 3 ' or 6' wide?
I'm not their sales rep so you will have to look it up or go there in person. :biggrin:

I just know they have it on large rolls.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

This year I grabbed the landscape fabric from Costco. I have put down cardboard under that as well. Plants are planted, watering setup almost complete. I still need to finish putting the landscape fabric around the plants and putting the staples in.
I was told by a landscaper that you can't leave the landscape fabric exposed to light, or it breaks down super fast.
Tonight for dinner I made bbq chicken and had radishes, baby carrots, baby turnips and snow peas from the garden. I love fresh veggies.

*edited because I made the mistake of posting from my phone. Blasted autocorrect.
Last edited by Lady tehMa on Jun 28th, 2022, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't failed until I quit.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Thanks Cats but I don't eat green beans :. Why I don't have a veggie garden... picky eater. No carrots either. Or as Lady would say
Carries
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

normaM wrote: Jun 28th, 2022, 5:22 am Thanks Cats but I don't eat green beans :. Why I don't have a veggie garden... picky eater. No carrots either. Or as Lady would say
Carries
Fixed - autocorrect hates me. I guess I should not be posting from my phone :-X
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

normaM! Check this poppy out! https://www.westcoastseeds.com/products/black-swan

"Black Swan Poppy" it sounds very elegantly film noir, and it even looks that way :biggrin:
Black Swan.PNG
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I know you didn’t ask for input, but…

Jeeeezus…that looks like a distressed peony/mum/dahlia on super-hi drug trip. In gentler terms, where is the poppy blossom?
Not to my tastes at all, maybe yours though.

Are we going to bicker now? :biggrin:

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Nope, not going to happen :130:

Someone in a FB garden group posted a pic of hers and I have decided I want some for next year. If she can share seeds, that's cool and if not I have the name and type :)

It was cool enough that I was able to get the last of my landscape fabric set up properly on the one bed in the back. Then I planted the rest of the plants out front after the mud-jacking company came by and did the thing.

And I trimmed the honeysuckle. I'm tired now. G'night!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”