Kelowna Rockets

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna Rockets

Post by alfred2 »

Gypsylady wrote:Way to go rockets, where is the person running them and coach down. Come out from :admin: :200: your hole and say you are aorry.

Good post, we need fans not some who have no idea about how hockey is played. :admin:
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The "poster in the other thread" I thought wrote a well-thought-out post. I didn't necessarily agree with him either but he wasn't trolling. He goes to games, and wants the best for the Rockets. If he wanted to simply bash the team he could have been much more unkind than he was.

I was at the Spokane game on Friday. Defensive errors got the Rockets down 3-0 in the first half of the game. They were able to battle back, but fell in overtime. Spokane is not a horrible team but they lose more than they win.

I don't know if the Rockets should be any better than they've shown so far: a good, but not great team. The real weakness for the team come playoff time IMO is goaltending. Herringer/Salmond are, again, good but not great. The Rockets may steal a round but that is probably their ceiling this year.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

imo herringer is not a whl quality goalie.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:imo herringer is not a whl quality goalie.

11th best out of 31 WHL goalies

Added later: Michael will be gone at end Kelowna 2016-17 season/playoffs.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Rockets seem to have been turning their game around as of late. Rockets have had points in 8 of their last 9 game. Hopefully they can keep it up with playoffs just around the corner. Don't expect much this year, but hey anything can happen. One thing that still concerns me is Penalty minutes. Have the most in the WHL and second most in the the entire CHL. I guess the positive thing about that is they have the 7th best PK (also have the 6th best PP).

Looking at the schedule Rockets have 13 games left and 7 of them are against BC Division teams. Currently in 3rd spot in BC division and have 2 games in hand against both Kamloops and PG. So still a chance to move up yet.
Life is too sho......
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:
11th best out of 31 WHL goalies

I think it's important to remember as well, that Herringer was not brought on board to be a #1 goalie. He was an 18 yr old, bouncing around the Jr B ranks when he was brought in as an injury replacement when Jackson Whistle went down. Jake Morrissey was starting to go off the rails and couldn't be trusted. Herringer made the most of that opportunity, and now has a 62-27 record as a Rocket.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:11th best out of 31 WHL goalies

JayByrd wrote:I think it's important to remember as well, that Herringer was not brought on board to be a #1 goalie. He was an 18 yr old, bouncing around the Jr B ranks when he was brought in as an injury replacement when Jackson Whistle went down. Jake Morrissey was starting to go off the rails and couldn't be trusted. Herringer made the most of that opportunity, and now has a 62-27 record as a Rocket.

What I remember he bought in as 3rd behind Jackson in 2014-15 season, I believe from Victoria.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Once again gypsy lady, think you have the wrong person if you are talking about me. Read my previous posts, there was NO trashing and I am a club seat holder and probably know more about hockey than your little finger.
Gypsylady
Fledgling

Post by Gypsylady »

i know more about hockey then you ever will.Why do you keep worrying if it is you if you think not. :smt045
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Bubalouie wrote:Once again gypsy lady, think you have the wrong person if you are talking about me. Read my previous posts, there was NO trashing and I am a club seat holder and probably know more about hockey than your little finger.

The writer of the post in question is mpeterec and the thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70661
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:What I remember he bought in as 3rd behind Jackson in 2014-15 season, I believe from Victoria.

You're right. My memory is blending stories from two different seasons together.

Herringer started as WHL property of the Victoria Royals, and was then traded to Saskatoon. The Rockets then acquired him from the Blades. He wasn't an injury fill-in; but became part of a three-man rotation with Whistle and Morrissey. Nothing was said publicly at the time, but Morrissey had worn out his welcome with Rockets brass, and Herringer was brought in to replace him.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So if the Playoffs were to start today, this would be matchups:

Portland Winterhawks @ Everett Silvertips
Victoria Royals @ Prince George Cougars This could change
Tri-City Americans @ Seattle Thunderbirds
Kelowna Rockets @ Kamloops Blazers This could change

Knowing how Don Hay has the Blazers playing right now, I don't see Kelowna getting pass them (as much as I would like to see Kelowna move on).

Based on what I've seen this season the team to beat in WHL is Historic Regina Pats (if they make it to Memorial Cup it will be there 16th appearance)

Added trivia: most Memorial Cup wins is Oshawa Generals at 5
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

What is it with those Don Hay coached teams ? He sure seems to bring out the best in them.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Someone jokingly asked Henrik Sedin today, if he'd prepared a list of teams he'd accept a trade to. He replied "Yeah...Kelowna Rockets!"

That made me smile.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Currently watching Kelowna at Kamloops.... Kelowna up 8 to 1 late in 3rd.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”