Vancouver Canucks

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Re: Vancouver Canucks

Postby Poindexter » Oct 15th, 2018, 7:42 am

Alot of people are saying that the Canucks should have made Matheson pay on the ice for the dirty hit. I know myself that was my initial reaction because when I played hockey there would have been a bench clearing brawl. Afterwords though I only have to think back to McSorely and Bertuzzi and recall how badly that went. Or how badly that went for Hannifan a few games back. Besides, the Canucks have never really had a good team to go that route. A few years back we had the sparkplug Dorsett that would do this job for us but he was so undersized that it was more for show than it was actual retribution. Not to mention it cost him his health and his career.

It's long overdue for the NHL to make goons accountable and fans should be directing their anger there instead of at Canucks players. The NHL are the only ones who can make changes that would have a lasting impact on the dirty tactics of targeting stars with intent to injure. The NHL is filled with young exciting talent making the games enjoyable to watch right now and it would be a major mistake if they don't make the necessary changes to protect their bread and butter.

4 people like this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4534 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 16th, 2018, 7:06 am

So Matheson gets a 2 game suspension while Petterson is out for at least a week to 10 days. Shouldn't the penalized player be suspended at least until the injured one is back playing?

It's time the NHL got some balls and put a stop to this *bleep*.
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11939 posts

Postby seewood » Oct 22nd, 2018, 11:34 am

Bsuds wrote:So Matheson gets a 2 game suspension while Petterson is out for at least a week to 10 days. Shouldn't the penalized player be suspended at least until the injured one is back playing?It's time the NHL got some balls and put a stop to this *bleep*.

I agree, but I suspect the team owners are reluctant.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Poindexter likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1389 posts

Postby Poindexter » Oct 22nd, 2018, 2:48 pm

seewood wrote:
Bsuds wrote:So Matheson gets a 2 game suspension while Petterson is out for at least a week to 10 days. Shouldn't the penalized player be suspended at least until the injured one is back playing?It's time the NHL got some balls and put a stop to this *bleep*.

I agree, but I suspect the team owners are reluctant.

The NHLPA also has a habit of fighting on behalf of players to reduce suspensions. Pretty sad when a union actually works towards making the workplace less safe for its members.

GordonH likes this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Postby Bsuds » Oct 27th, 2018, 8:02 pm

We are watching the Van vs Pittsburgh game and I am wondering where the hell they found the announcers tonight!
Useless and boring.
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11939 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 27th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Bsuds wrote:We are watching the Van vs Pittsburgh game and I am wondering where the hell they found the announcers tonight!
Useless and boring.

Play by play is rare appearance out west by Bob Cole
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8269 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Poindexter » Oct 27th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Bob's a bit old school but I like him. Maybe it's because I grew up out east watching Habs games and he reminds me and little of Dick Irvin. Liked that line he said to describe Pettersson, "he's great to see and fun to watch". Corny but i love it.
Poindexter
Guru

Postby GordonH » Oct 28th, 2018, 10:36 am

Poindexter wrote:Bob's a bit old school but I like him. Maybe it's because I grew up out east watching Habs games and he reminds me and little of Dick Irvin. Liked that line he said to describe Pettersson, "he's great to see and fun to watch". Corny but i love it.

I was long time fan of HNIC (in no order some of people I remember over the years)

Red Storey
Howie Meeker (squeaky)
Dave Hodge (still see him at TSN sometimes)
Dick Irvin Jr
Brian McFarlane
Harry Neale
many... many more
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8269 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby RupertBear » Nov 2nd, 2018, 8:19 am

Poindexter wrote:Bob's a bit old school but I like him. Maybe it's because I grew up out east watching Habs games and he reminds me and little of Dick Irvin. Liked that line he said to describe Pettersson, "he's great to see and fun to watch". Corny but i love it.

Bob is on his farewell tour as this is his last season of play-by-play. That's why we've seen the players on the ice acknowledge him in the press box at a few rinks recently.
He has a classic voice, but unfortunately, his brain hasn't been able to keep up with the play for the last few seasons.
Being from B.C., we were spoiled having Jim Robson as the voice of the Canucks for so long. Classy, no-nonsense announcer.
RupertBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 659 posts

Previous

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors