NHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: NHL

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Knowing Hometown Hockey is in Cranbrook, figure I'd watch Toronto at Carolina (don't watch anywhere near as much NHL games as I once did).
This is what attendance is like in many of the southern NHL teams home buildings, its amazing the owners can break even.

JayByrd wrote:Actually, it's not. Carolina has by far the worst attendance, both in actual numbers and percentage, in the NHL. While they're not the only one struggling, they shouldn't be used as an example of what attendance is like.

The attendance figures for this season can be found here: http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I assume those numbers are all paid attendance, not actual bums in seats. I know teams will do little things to inflate their figures, such as counting all of their comp tickets as sold, even if they were never actually given to anyone, let alone used.

Southern markets like Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Nashville are doing just fine. Carolina and Arizona are really struggling, but that isn't news, and those organizations haven't given their fans much to get excited about in recent years.

Last few years I've been watching a lot less NHL games.
When I did watch many of games in the expansion team arenas was terrible attendance. Rumors are Carolina maybe thinking of returning to Hartford. Islanders may or may not stay in Brooklyn, meanwhile Florida teams (when they first entered the league I laughed so hard).
I know it has little chance of happening, Islanders would be very welcomed in Quebec City. Bettman would do anything to keep that to happen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

ferri wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/190002/More-mumps-for-Canucks

At this rate they may have to bring everyone from farm club (Utica Comets) to the Canucks. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:I know it has little chance of happening, Islanders would be very welcomed in Quebec City. Bettman would do anything to keep that to happen.

Gary Bettman actually has very little influence on this, though being a scapegoat is part of his job. Better that people hate on him, than stop supporting their team or the league as a whole.

If Islanders ownership proposed a move, it would go to a BoG vote.

If Islanders ownership proposed to sell the franchise, to an ownership group that intended to relocate, it would go to a BoG vote.

I think some people picture Gary Bettman with a big map of North America, moving franchise logos around and laughing maniacally. It's not quite like that.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I know it has little chance of happening, Islanders would be very welcomed in Quebec City. Bettman would do anything to keep that to happen.

JayByrd wrote:Gary Bettman actually has very little influence on this, though being a scapegoat is part of his job. Better that people hate on him, than stop supporting their team or the league as a whole.

If Islanders ownership proposed a move, it would go to a BoG vote.

If Islanders ownership proposed to sell the franchise, to an ownership group that intended to relocate, it would go to a BoG vote.

I think some people picture Gary Bettman with a big map of North America, moving franchise logos around and laughing maniacally. It's not quite like that.

I am very much aware Gary is just the voice of the Governors/owners. Since these vote outcome are unknown (who voted for what). I direct my dissatisfaction at the Voice/Gary

impo it would good to see team back in Quebec City, since they built new arena why not fill it.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:
impo it would good to see team back in Quebec City, since they built new arena why not fill it.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not sure what it will take for that to actually happen, but it would be great to see. It appears relocation will be a much better bet than expansion if this is to happen.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

2 of the 3 Canucks expected to be moved happened, due to lack of need for goalies Miller stays put.
Unless he re-signs in Vancouver (highly doubtful), Canucks will need to move him before July 1. If not they get no return.

To those wanting the Twins gone, first they would have wave there NTC & NMC's. Then a team with huge Cap space would want to take them...... sorry not going to happen.
Canucks fan will just have wait for them to retire.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Nice to see some canadian teams holding on to playoff spots as the season winds down. much better than that abysmal showing last year.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Frisk wrote:Nice to see some canadian teams holding on to playoff spots as the season winds down. much better than that abysmal showing last year.

Looking at the current standings, none of Canadian based clubs would meet each other in the first round.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Calgary's been kicking some butt lately
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Frisk wrote:Calgary's been kicking some butt lately

Calgary has a bit of a tough schedule (not in order)
Home
Montreal
Pittsburgh
Boston
San Jose
Anaheim
Away
Capitals
Predators
Anaheim
San Jose

Teams below them in the standing they play
NY Islanders
Winnipeg
LA x3
St Louis
Colorado
Dallas

Good news is only 1 team is close enough on the outside to be a threat of knock them out of wild card (St Louis, Winnipeg is 10 points back), plus Calgary is 2 points back of Anaheim.

impo I rather see Calgary stay in the wild card spot, more Canadian teams that go to 2nd round of the playoffs the better.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

All the canadian teams won their games tonight. Nice
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Crazy game between Winnipeg & Pittsburgh right now.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”