World Junior Hockey Championship

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
my5cents
Guru

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Post by my5cents »

I'm rooting for Canada, but it's going to be a tough go this year.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:I'm rooting for Canada, but it's going to be a tough go this year.

First 2 games should be wins for Canada (Denmark & Switzerland), next 2 could be interesting Czech Republic then Russia.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we only have 1 returning player from last year i think, never a good thing imo, russia looks strong this year, imo in general its all about the hot goalie ,
GO CANADA GO :clapping:

best time of the year to watch hockey, on top of this also https://www.spenglercup.ch/en/tournament/game-center
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:we only have 1 returning player from last year i think, never a good thing imo, russia looks strong this year, imo in general its all about the hot goalie ,
GO CANADA GO :clapping:

best time of the year to watch hockey, on top of this also https://www.spenglercup.ch/en/tournament/game-center

Unfortunately if last years players are now under contract in nhl (be it the main club or the farm), they are only eligible if they have played less then "x" amount games & if team releases them.

This year's team is smaller on defense but faster, we will see how this does soon enough.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Unfortunately if last years players are now under contract in nhl (be it the main club or the farm), they are only eligible if they have played less then "x" amount games & if team releases them.

This year's team is smaller on defense but faster, we will see how this does soon enough.

Are you sure there is such a rule that if they play more than X games they are not eligible ? I didn't think there was any restriction like that. I checked the IIHF rule book and couldn't find anything.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Unfortunately if last years players are now under contract in nhl (be it the main club or the farm), they are only eligible if they have played less then "x" amount games & if team releases them.

my5cents wrote:Are you sure there is such a rule that if they play more than X games they are not eligible ? I didn't think there was any restriction like that. I checked the IIHF rule book and couldn't find anything.

Unless they changed that rule, there is fine line between being considered still a junior & professional (its all about the entry level contract).
So I suspect once that entry level contract kicks in, they are no longer eligible for world juniors. Of course IIHF & NHL could have changed the rules on that.
I tend to only pay attention to any on ice rule changes

Added: now if the player has become valuable to either main team or farm club, they will not release him to WJC.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Unless they changed that rule, there is fine line between being considered still a junior & professional (its all about the entry level contract).
So I suspect once that entry level contract kicks in, they are no longer eligible for world juniors. Of course IIHF & NHL could have changed the rules on that.

Added: now if the player has become valuable to either main team or farm club, they will not release him to WJC.

You may be confusing entry level contracts with the NHL after a junior player suits up for his 10th game.

An example I found was Rasmus Dahlin (Sweden) he is being retained by his NHL team the Buffalo Sabres and not playing in the World Juniors. There is no mention of him not being eligible. He has played 35 games with the Sabres.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Unless they changed that rule, there is fine line between being considered still a junior & professional (its all about the entry level contract).

my5cents wrote:You may be confusing entry level contracts with the NHL after a junior player suits up for his 10th game.
I thought once one gets professional income they are no longer able to go to amateur event.
An example I found was Rasmus Dahlin (Sweden) he is being retained by his NHL team the Buffalo Sabres and not playing in the World Juniors. There is no mention of him not being eligible. He has played 35 games with the Sabres.

Like I said if the players is considered valuable to the main NHL or the farm club, they will not release him i.e Rasmus Dahlin, Carter Hart (in Philly) etc... etc
Hockey Canada makes requests for eligible players for each years WJC, then its up to each team to release that player or not.
I guess this year none of the team released eligible players, it happens.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Like I said if the players is considered valuable to the main NHL or the farm club, they will not release him i.e Rasmus Dahlin, Carter Hart (in Philly) etc... etc
Hockey Canada makes requests for eligible players for each years WJC, then its up to each team to release that player or not.
I guess this year none of the team released eligible players, it happens.

Oh, no dispute as to players being retained by their NHL teams. The issue was if they were ineligible if they played more than X games in the NHL. That apparently isn't the case, Rasmus Dahlin one example having played 35 games in the NHL and the only reason he's not in the World Juniors is because he's too valuable to his NHL team.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:Oh, no dispute as to players being retained by their NHL teams. The issue was if they were ineligible if they played more than X games in the NHL. That apparently isn't the case, Rasmus Dahlin one example having played 35 games in the NHL and the only reason he's not in the World Juniors is because he's too valuable to his NHL team.

So I am wrong about X amount of games (I can't seam to find anything on that), I really thought that was part of being ineligible for WJC (so professional players under 20 are allowed at an amateur event, as long as they are released by contract owner).

As it nhl teams did not release any (Canadian) players for the 2019 WJC.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

time to rock en roll https://www.tsn.ca/world-juniors/game/534 :130: :clapping: nothing brings canada together like hockey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3GQverRiQ
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I could tell this was going to be a blowout after 4 nothing for Canada (I moved on at this point), currently 11 to 0 for Canada.

I am moving onto to next game against Switzerland.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Based on what I'm seeing in the game between Czech Republic & Russia, Canada next 2 games will be challenging. Our goalie will need to be lights out.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Yup, goal tending is the most important in these tournaments.

I loved last nights game where the Kazakhstan goalie loosing 5 to 0 was player of the game with, 50 ? saves ??? Love it.

That's heart !
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Okay Canada don't take your foot off the gas, keep pressing Czech Republic.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”