World Junior Hockey Championship

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Post by GordonH »

Tonight's is Canada last round robin game of group A, it will be there toughest game so far.

Then comes quarterfinals, if the format hasn't changed. It should look as follows.

A1 vs B4
A2 vs B3
A3 vs B2
A4 vs B1
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Canada plays whomever doesn't win between US vs Finland, which is playing now.

Quarter Finals:
Russia gets Slovakia
Sweden gets Switzerland
Canada gets Finland
USA gets Czech Republic
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

The letter to the editor from that McLuskley NDP fanatic is hilarious. It is a top level international competition, of course they won't stop, we aren't talking a timbit league here
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

gman313 wrote:The letter to the editor from that McLuskley NDP fanatic is hilarious. It is a top level international competition, of course they won't stop, we aren't talking a timbit league here

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... -appalling

I watched that game, I could tell our junior team once they had a demanding lead actually pulled back. The Danish goaltender was totally overwhelmed, many times Canadians could have had many more shots on net & did not shoot.

They may need those shots on net tonight though, some European coaches just want to squeak into elimination round. Then show what there team can really do, Team Canada always has target on them.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:
gman313 wrote:The letter to the editor from that McLuskley NDP fanatic is hilarious. It is a top level international competition, of course they won't stop, we aren't talking a timbit league here

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... -appalling

I watched that game, I could tell our junior team once they had a demanding lead actually pulled back. The Danish goaltender was totally overwhelmed, many times Canadians could have had many more shots on net & did not shoot.

They may need those shots on net tonight though, some European coaches just want to squeak into elimination round. Then show what there team can really do, Team Canada always has target on them.

Well the writer of the letter, has blamed the wrong entity.

As far as I know, none of the teams, have been allowed to make rules for the tournament, they have some input but that's about it. If so Canada certainly wouldn't have agreed to the very stringent "late hit" rule, including the additional 10 minute misconduct on top of the two, for example.

Can you imagine the United States agreeing to join a world junior championship for baseball, where the "International BS Federation" (pun worked out real great) changed baseball rules for a junior baseball tournament ? Maybe 4 bases plus home plate, or they run the bases clockwise. 4 outs per inning ?

The IIHF saw fit to include scoring goals for and against for tie breaking between teams. A team doesn't know how important their goals for will be so they have to keep scoring.

Even then Canada, did hold off and eased up. They curtailed their celebration of the later goals, and certainly in the later stages held back.

The letter writer's opinion was in line with another outspoken Canadian, Don Cherry, I think that just about says it all.

The one thing, for some strange reason, it doesn't seem many are talking about is the double penalty shot on the same play, in the Switzerland Russia game. Now that's not something you're not likely to see again.

https://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/must- ... ay~1574621

I was further amazed to learn they actually have rules regarding it. If two penalty shots are assessed on the same play and if the first penalty shot results in a goal, they don't allow the second penalty shot, the offending team gets a two minute penalty.

Of course the majority of the teams are from Europe where they are very generous with calling penalty shots.

I had the opportunity to travel to Sweden when the Canucks held their training camp in Stockholm, the year the Sedin twins joined the club. They held a round robin tourney between, the three Swedish elite teams and the Canucks. The REAL SMART thing the Canucks did was require that for every game they played in, NHL referees called the games.

Watching the Swedish teams playing each other with the European refs was quite interesting. To that point I had never seen a game where two penalty shots were called in the same game (not on the same play) Neither of them would have been a penalty shot in NHL play and in fact as I recall, one might not have even been a penalty.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Sweden found out what I meant about just squeaking into the elimination round. They were knockout of WJC by 4th team in group A Switzerland.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hell of a tournament boys :up: , maybe next year.

Added: I will be checking out how US does against the Czech Republic.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

GordonH wrote:Hell of a tournament boys :up: , maybe next year.

Hats off to Finland. What a fluky goal that was to tie it though. Then the unfortunate play there in OT. If that stick did not break would probably have been Canada winning the game, instead Finland comes up the ice and scores.
Life is too sho......
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jaz301 wrote:Hats off to Finland. What a fluky goal that was to tie it though. Then the unfortunate play there in OT. If that stick did not break would probably have been Canada winning the game, instead Finland comes up the ice and scores.

Yep, them there are the breaks (no pun intended).
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

jaz301 wrote:

Hats off to Finland. What a fluky goal that was to tie it though. Then the unfortunate play there in OT. If that stick did not break would probably have been Canada winning the game, instead Finland comes up the ice and scores.

Wonder if the make of that stick will ever be mentioned...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jaz301 wrote:Hats off to Finland. What a fluky goal that was to tie it though. Then the unfortunate play there in OT. If that stick did not break would probably have been Canada winning the game, instead Finland comes up the ice and scores.

seewood wrote:Wonder if the make of that stick will ever be mentioned...

It doesn't really matter, back in the day the wooden sticks broke regularly as well. Here is a challenge for someone, come up with a stick that similar weight & will last longer (must still flex). Hockey players will buy them.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The stick; sticks break. They break all the time and when you're on the ice, it's never a good time. Penalty shots are hard. It takes a bit o luck along with the skill to score on a top tier goal tender, not to mention the pressure of all eyes on you.

Word on the Finnish goalie is that he is tall and leaves a big space between the legs. That's what Max was trying to do.

The cowards calling themselves Canadians and hockey fans going after Maxim Comtois; The height of chicken *bleep*. Freedom of speech should not ever cover hate speech and some of the sheeite being leveled at Max is beyond disgusting.

He played great. Most of the team played great. If Max scores on that OT penalty shot, he's the GOAT. He misses and he's crap.

I wish there was way to out these *bleep* burglars so we could all take a shot.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Anyone who would attack Comptois for missing that penalty shot knows nothing about hockey and is merely demonstrating their ignorance of the game, among other things. A friend of mine, who really knows the game, having played it at the highest level, says there is no game that can humble you like hockey. The Canadian boys went out and played the best game they could and should be appreciated for their effort....no more, no less.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Treblehook wrote:Anyone who would attack Comptois for missing that penalty shot knows nothing about hockey and is merely demonstrating their ignorance of the game, among other things. A friend of mine, who really knows the game, having played it at the highest level, says there is no game that can humble you like hockey. The Canadian boys went out and played the best game they could and should be appreciated for their effort....no more, no less.

Exactly.
I don't pay any attention to bs so called fans.

Added: I wouldn't be at all surprised if Switzerland turns out to be a hell of a sleeper team.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Buddy of mine showed me some of those comments & I seen some on the news.
They are no more than bunch of as :cuss: holes, who don't know one end of hockey stick from the other.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”