Major League Baseball

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Major League Baseball

Post by my5cents »

ferri wrote: Jul 28th, 2022, 11:17 am Watching the Marlins vs Reds game when this happened: https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/marlin ... g92x06cv9k

Scroll down for the video. You could hear it hit. :(
On the bright side, they got the out !

Seriously though,, I've been wondering if they will ever consider something to protect pitchers. During live throwing batting practice (not the pitching machine) the staff member throwing is behind a cage. I'm not suggesting a cage, but ? a helmet ? The base runners must wear one and they are a lot further from home plate than the pitcher.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Yeah, they were saying there is some padding in the hats, but I doubt if a ball going 104 mph would feel any better.
After everyone was sure he was okayish the guy that hit the linedrive went over and hugged him and apologized. He had to leave the game for awhile too.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

ferri wrote: Jul 28th, 2022, 12:18 pm Yeah, they were saying there is some padding in the hats, but I doubt if a ball going 104 mph would feel any better.
After everyone was sure he was okayish the guy that hit the linedrive went over and hugged him and apologized. He had to leave the game for awhile too.
a pitcher could wear a hockey type helmut with cage . when i played fastball i saw a linedrive from one my teammates take pitchers fingernail off on a linedrive .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Anyone thinking of watching the Jays game today, Friday 29 July, it's only on Apple TV.

What a "great" idea. The Jays have fans across the country, some watch every game (well at least they used to). If something happens they watch the "Jays in 30" (a 30 minute quick recap of the entire game)

Now, one needs another subscription to watch all the games.

The "newest" scam for networks. For example, CBS starts a season with a few episodes of a show, then it's gone,,, but you can watch it on Paramount+ for an addition fee. A show that has been viewed for several seasons on CBS disappears,,, nope it's now on Paramount+.

Now the same for the Blue Jays.

It's even worse. Even if you have an Apple subscription, if one watches the Jays game live on most standard cable providers, one can pause the show, answer the phone, get a drink, whatever. The play by play and color people are knowledgeable and we've listened to them for years.

Some are likely thinking I'm frustrated because I don't have Apple TV. But you'd be wrong, I do, BUT on Apple TV, it's on live, no pause, different play by play different color people. I watched the Jays vs Seattle, never heard the play by play and color guys talk about players hair does, before,,,, very informative,,,, NOT !

But HEY ! no commercials. That's pretty good,, what do you get between the inning halves ? informative information about Major League Baseball, out of town scores ??? Nope you get to look at a frozen screen for the two minutes between halves of innings.

For me, I'm just going to check the score out in the morning. Might re-think Jays ball, been watching too much of it anyway.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

my5cents wrote: Jul 29th, 2022, 11:06 am Anyone thinking of watching the Jays game today, Friday 29 July, it's only on Apple TV.

What a "great" idea. The Jays have fans across the country, some watch every game (well at least they used to). If something happens they watch the "Jays in 30" (a 30 minute quick recap of the entire game)
As a Jays fan who watches as many games as possible, I am also not fond of the games that are only available on Apple TV, Youtube, Facebook or whatever they come up with next. While I don't have Apple TV, I have watched the odd game on the other streams and have not enjoyed the experience for many of the reasons you laid out. So, maybe tonight I'll watch the Lions/Riders football game instead.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

SuperMom wrote: Jul 29th, 2022, 12:07 pm
my5cents wrote: Jul 29th, 2022, 11:06 am Anyone thinking of watching the Jays game today, Friday 29 July, it's only on Apple TV.

As a Jays fan who watches as many games as possible, I am also not fond of the games that are only available on Apple TV, Youtube, Facebook or whatever they come up with next. While I don't have Apple TV, I have watched the odd game on the other streams and have not enjoyed the experience for many of the reasons you laid out. So, maybe tonight I'll watch the Lions/Riders football game instead.
:up: :up: That's what I'm doing.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Tonight is The Field of Dreams game! There was a minor league game played there on Tuesday night and it was so amazing. There is nothing like watching a home run ball sail over the fence and *plunk* into the corn. :D Cubs vs Reds in throwback uniforms at 4:00.
Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.
― Albert Einstein
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

ferri wrote: Aug 11th, 2022, 6:33 am Tonight is The Field of Dreams game! There was a minor league game played there on Tuesday night and it was so amazing. There is nothing like watching a home run ball sail over the fence and *plunk* into the corn. :D Cubs vs Reds in throwback uniforms at 4:00.
Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.
:up: Thanks for the memories
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I have to admit that even though I'm not a NY Mets or NY Yankees fan, the games between those two teams are so much fun to watch! The huge crowd is so full of energy! They played the first game last night of "The Subway Series" and tonight they play again. After the Yankees won last night they showed a group of friends in the stands, about 5 people in Yankees jerseys tormenting one friend (?) in a Mets jersey. LOL They were smiling and bouncing around chanting and the Mets guy was all frowny with his arms crossed. haha
― Albert Einstein
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

ferri wrote: Aug 23rd, 2022, 7:00 am I have to admit that even though I'm not a NY Mets or NY Yankees fan, the games between those two teams are so much fun to watch! The huge crowd is so full of energy! They played the first game last night of "The Subway Series" and tonight they play again. After the Yankees won last night they showed a group of friends in the stands, about 5 people in Yankees jerseys tormenting one friend (?) in a Mets jersey. LOL They were smiling and bouncing around chanting and the Mets guy was all frowny with his arms crossed. haha
Lol its not that fun if your in the stands . Ppl get drenched in beer and soda :200:
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I hope you guys see this video. I've been a Braves fan so long and let me tell you, when I first started watching them this would never have happened. LOL

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=3445 ... Jvw9fJG8Uk
― Albert Einstein
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

ferri wrote: Aug 24th, 2022, 1:23 pm I hope you guys see this video. I've been a Braves fan so long and let me tell you, when I first started watching them this would never have happened. LOL

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=3445 ... Jvw9fJG8Uk
Thats outa the park
Harm Reduction Is Cool
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I had no idea baseball floated. LOL
― Albert Einstein
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

The only thing i remember being close was i think a dodgers game an a cars window got broke by a homerun or foul ball in the parking lot . [icon_lol2.gif]
Harm Reduction Is Cool
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

captkirkcanada wrote: Aug 24th, 2022, 7:03 pm The only thing i remember being close was i think a dodgers game an a cars window got broke by a homerun or foul ball in the parking lot . [icon_lol2.gif]
Batters who hit over the Green monster at Fenway can hit vehicles on street below of the parkade across that street.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”