NHL Lottery Draft

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

NHL Lottery Draft

Post by Straight Shooter »

I have to admit that I don't like the NHL Lottery Draft but I am excited about about tomorrow's lottery because one just don't know what might happen. First of all I think that the Montreal Canadians who had the second best seasonal points record last season thanks to Carey Price could although very unlikely win the lottery and get the first over-all pick. History shows that bad teams get rewarded with high pick, Alexander Ovechkin, drafted by the Washington Capitals in 2004. Sidney Crosby, drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2005. John Tavares, drafted by the New York Islanders in 2009 NHL Entry Draft. These teams are now Stanley Cup contenders because they finished last in the NHL standings and was rewarded with exceptional players. The NBA is the only other major sports league to have a lottery and its no surprise that Mr. Bettman's previous postion was in the Office of the NBA. I will post later what I would do to have a more equitable draft that helps the weaker teams.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: NHL Lottery Draft

Post by GordonH »

4 of the last 6 first overall picks was won by Edmonton, they are still at or near bottom of the league.
It does not always insure success.

I'm interested in hearing your idea's
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

GordonH wrote:I'm interested in hearing your idea's

Last time that I developed my NHL Draft idea it made more sense but that was almost 8 years ago. But what it did was base the draft by consecutive years that teams miss out of post season play. The Edmonton Oilers haven't made the play-offs in 10 years followed by Carolina at 7, Buffalo 5, Arizona 4, New Jersey 4, Toronto 3, Columbus 2, Colorado 2 and Boston 2. Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal and Ottawa all missed the playoffs this year after qualifying last season. So, based on this the following would be the order of selection for the 14 non playoffs teams. it's not perfect but it's formulated to prevent a team like Montreal from possibly snagging the number one selection. Yes, people are getting sick of the Edmonton Oilers drafting first but with Connor McDavid in the line-up for a full season that ought to change next season.

(1) Edmonton
(2) Carolina
(3) Buffalo
(4) Arizona
(5) New Jersey
(6) Toronto
(7) Columbus
(8) Colorado
(9) Boston
(10) Vancouver
(11) Calgary
(12) Winnipeg
(13) Montreal
(14) Ottawa
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Sounds like a great plan to me. This race to the bottom for a lottery pick only rewards loosing. Doesn't make sense when a season ending winning steak can cost you a franchise player.

Equal chance at lottery picks for all non-playoff teams.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I'm interested in hearing your idea's

Straight Shooter wrote:Last time that I developed my NHL Draft idea it made more sense but that was almost 8 years ago. But what it did was base the draft by consecutive years that teams miss out of post season play. The Edmonton Oilers haven't made the play-offs in 10 years followed by Carolina at 7, Buffalo 5, Arizona 4, New Jersey 4, Toronto 3, Columbus 2, Colorado 2 and Boston 2. Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal and Ottawa all missed the playoffs this year after qualifying last season. So, based on this the following would be the order of selection for the 14 non playoffs teams. it's not perfect but it's formulated to prevent a team like Montreal from possibly snagging the number one selection. Yes, people are getting sick of the Edmonton Oilers drafting first but with Connor McDavid in the line-up for a full season that ought to change next season.

(1) Edmonton
(2) Carolina
(3) Buffalo
(4) Arizona
(5) New Jersey
(6) Toronto
(7) Columbus
(8) Colorado
(9) Boston
(10) Vancouver
(11) Calgary
(12) Winnipeg
(13) Montreal
(14) Ottawa

Of course teams that have outstanding scouts, who don't appear to need #1 draft picks to make it to NHL Playoffs.
That team is Detroit Red Wings 25 straight appearances, their last #1 draft pick was 1986 Joe Murphy
There scouts find diamonds in the rough: i.e
Henrik Zetterberg 7th round 210th overall
Pavel Datsyuk 6th round 171st overall
Tomas Holmstrom 10th round 257th overall

Just 3 here, teams don't need top draft picks just need good scouts with an eye for talent.

Added: I suspect at least 1 maybe more of those #1 picks in Edmonton maybe gone by either draft day or free agency (not McDavid)

The #1 one thing the league needs is fresh leadership, Bettman needs to go. Someone with a true love for the game.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Yes, I've alway admired how Detroit scouts can find these player in the later rounds of the draft. As for Mr. Bettman, he seems to always have an arrogant combatant side to himself somewhat like Brian Burke but not as bad. I think I would rather see Bill Daley commissioner of the NHL than Count Bettman. Oilers players will definately be moved in the off-season with Yakupov being at the top of the list and possibly Jordon Eberle but don't be too surprise if the Oilers were to flip their 1st round pick for a front line defenseman in a package deal involving Yakupov and or Eberle. In goal, Cam Talbot looks like a goalie capable of finally getting the Oilers into the play-off as they move out of Rexall Place into the spanking new Rogers Place in downtown Edmonton.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Top 5 picks as won by the lottery:
#1 Toronto (most likely pick Auston Matthews)
#2 Winnipeg
#3 Columbus
#4 Edmonton
#5 Vancouver
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

GordonH wrote:Top 5 picks as won by the lottery:
#1 Toronto
Sad to see that, I'm guessing the couple guy's that are projected to go #1 by the experts are really hoping the experts are wrong so one of them don't end up in laugh land. :1422:
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Top 5 picks as won by the lottery:
#1 Toronto

dieseluphammerdown wrote:Sad to see that, I'm guessing the couple guy's that are projected to go #1 by the experts are really hoping the experts are wrong so one of them don't end up in laugh land. :1422:

If the Maple Leaf ownership stays the hell away, lets Lou, Brendan & Mike do the job ahead of them. Toronto could regain position they once had in first 50 years of being in the league.
Ownership being Bell & Rogers
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Top 5 possible draft picks:
Auston Matthews C
Patrik Laine LW
Jesse PuljujärviRW
Matthew Tkachuk LW
Pierre-Luc Dubois C
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Really unlucky for the Canucks moving down to the 5th. Some good defenders in the 7th to 9th spots, Benning did say at one point he was leaning that way so may see them trade down a spot or two.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:Really unlucky for the Canucks moving down to the 5th. Some good defenders in the 7th to 9th spots, Benning did say at one point he was leaning that way so may see them trade down a spot or two.

Exactly, of course if Edmonton wants to end there playoff problems. Will be interesting who they are willing to part with, the coach was getting really p/o as the season came to an end. On paper the talent in Edmonton is crazy, once it hits the ice poof it disappears.
Last edited by GordonH on May 2nd, 2016, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:It does not always insure success.

I think that Capri Insurance always does.

Poindexter wrote:This race to the bottom for a lottery pick only rewards loosing.

I sure does. Loosing of the fan's purse strings.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:This race to the bottom for a lottery pick only rewards loosing.

Glacier wrote:I sure does. Loosing of the fan's purse strings.

Toronto's fan base is the exception to rule, it been decades since they have something to cheer about they still come out.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bumped up

Tomorrow is the draft lottery
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_NHL_Entry_Draft

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”