NHL team in Vegas

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Frisk
Guru

NHL team in Vegas

Post by Frisk »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-168220-7-.htm#168220

Sounds like Vegas might get its own NHL team, very cool.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: NHL team in Vegas

Post by occasional thoughts »

Only one new one? Sounds like the NHL will be even more unbalanced, East to West, than now. What about Seattle and Portland, let alone Quebec City. The NHL seems to like places where there's no competing major league sports.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'd rather see Quebec City get a expansion since many US NHL team don't fill the seats. Plus how many sports team have tried to open in Las Vegas only to shutdown soon after.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Maybe Quebec City is (ahem) betting on Las Vegas. Seriously, I'd like to see QC get a new franchise, maybe if they promised to stay in Canada or something. Oops, sorry, I said seriously, and I do wish one would go to QC.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Would've been cool if Seattle got one.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Frisk wrote:Would've been cool if Seattle got one.

Only if the Thunderbirds continued to be viable as well.

It will be interesting when year 5 happens in Vegas, to if attendants is still at good level.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

occasional thoughts wrote:Only one new one? Sounds like the NHL will be even more unbalanced, East to West, than now. What about Seattle and Portland, let alone Quebec City. The NHL seems to like places where there's no competing major league sports.

Vegas is going to be in the Western conference, so there will now be 16 east, 15 west.

Seattle won't work until there's an NHL ready arena, the only prospect at this time is also contingent on an NBA team going there as well, so not happening soon.

QC ruled out by the low Canadian dollar, and rumours are they want to keep it available as a relocation destination.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Gilchy, that's almost funny, keeping a city in the hip pocket ready for a relocation.

BTW, with Atlanta having lost NHL franchises twice to Canadian cities, how is Winnipeg actually doing? Is it likely based on current results that Winnipeg will ever move again? It is true for any major league franchise but apparently esp. for NHL franchises in Canada that it's "use it or lose it", winner or not.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

OOPS, I hate to be erroneous, but I just notice I mentioned Portland, above, as having no other major league franchise. NBA of course. Now there's a deadly boring game, notwithstanding its Canadian origin, but Americans seem to love it.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

occasional thoughts wrote:OOPS, I hate to be erroneous, but I just notice I mentioned Portland, above, as having no other major league franchise. NBA of course. Now there's a deadly boring game, notwithstanding its Canadian origin, but Americans seem to love it.

Most basketball fans I know say it combines the relaxed (though not *as* relaxed) pace of baseball with the spurts of quick action we see in hockey. They find it fun in a way that hockey and football aren't.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

With the expansion Las Vegas team looking to begin play in 2017-18, we'll have an expansion draft next summer. It's going to be really interesting to see how teams manage this through the next year. Every team is going to end up exposing valuable players.

A team can only protect seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie or eight skaters overall and a goalie.

Players with no-movement clauses running through the 2017-18 season must be protected.

Teams must expose at least two forwards and one defenseman who played at least 40 games this coming season or a combined 70 in 2015-16 and 2016-17.

This will put some GM's in a tough position, and will likely be the cause of some player movement that we wouldn't have otherwise seen. If you're Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh, do you protect your established #1 goalie, or your playoff upstart? We may see some pre-expansion maneuvering as early as next weekend's Entry Draft.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I wonder when Kelowna & environs will get a professional hockey team. And because I put queries like this to all the people out there who know so much more than I do, why did Victoria's ECHL team get replaced by WHL, It seems WHL is preferred to minor professional hockey in most of Western Canada.

Let's see, how do I keep this on topic . . . maybe we could be the Las Vegas farm team.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

occasional thoughts wrote:I wonder when Kelowna & environs will get a professional hockey team. And because I put queries like this to all the people out there who know so much more than I do, why did Victoria's ECHL team get replaced by WHL, It seems WHL is preferred to minor professional hockey in most of Western Canada.

Let's see, how do I keep this on topic . . . maybe we could be the Las Vegas farm team.

Victoria Salmon Kings folded at the end 2010-11 season, before they were in Victoria there was a WHL team called Victoria Cougars known today as Prince George Cougars.
Chilliwack Bruins were not doing well in Chilliwack so ownership moved them to Victoria.

All pretty simple nothing unusual

WHL is 1 part of 3 known Canadian Hockey League = Major Junior Hockey players 16 to 20 years (other 2 parts are Ontario Hockey League & Quebec Major Junior Hockey League)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:I'd rather see Quebec City get a expansion since many US NHL team don't fill the seats. Plus how many sports team have tried to open in Las Vegas only to shutdown soon after.

agree 100 %
on a side note ,nothing can top ,hey guys lets go to a hockey game tonight on a 45 celsius day :cuss:

QUEBEC got F :cuss: on this one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Another NHL team that I could care less about.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”