Ron MacLean or George Stroumboulopoulos

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.

Which one is a better choice to Host HNIC

Ron MacLean
88%
George Stroumboulopoulos
13%

Total votes: 24

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Ron MacLean or George Stroumboulopoulos

Post by GordonH »

Host of HNIC:
http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/168 ... r-Stroumbo

I prefer Ron, since he does not pander to Gary like George does + his hockey knowledge is better.

I'm posting a poll.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Ron MacLean or George Stroumboulopoulos

Post by Woodenhead »

I'm split (didn't vote)

Ron is familiar and comfy.
George is modern and energetic.
Ron is a pushover and dull.
George talks too fast.

They both have their place & I feel they'd [play off / balance] each other really well. (I also remember listening to George on the radio when he was a sports reporter, years ago - he's no newbie)

IDK, I would like both to have relatively equal roles. The main issue is that Rogers have screwed up the HNIC format - CBC did it right. Bring back Satellite HotStove. And get rid of some of the panelists like Kypreos and Stock. It's those type of guys & the Sportsnet format/"contrived-flashiness" that have made things worse. Strombo was going to be disliked by the majority no matter what - anyone stepping in would get the same treatment in trying to replace Maclean. MacLean got the same sort of treatment when he stepped in for Hodge, too, but most people forget that fact...
Your bias suits you.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Woodenhead wrote:I'm split (didn't vote)

Ron is familiar and comfy.
George is modern and energetic.
Ron is a pushover and dull.
George talks too fast.

They both have their place & I feel they'd [play off / balance] each other really well. (I also remember listening to George on the radio when he was a sports reporter, years ago - he's no newbie)

IDK, I would like both to have relatively equal roles. The main issue is that Rogers have screwed up the HNIC format - CBC did it right. Bring back Satellite HotStove. And get rid of some of the panelists like Kypreos and Stock. It's those type of guys & the Sportsnet format/"contrived-flashiness" that have made things worse. Strombo was going to be disliked by the majority no matter what - anyone stepping in would get the same treatment in trying to replace Maclean. MacLean got the same sort of treatment when he stepped in for Hodge, too, but most people forget that fact...

I totally agree Rogers screwup a good HNIC format, and panel member you mentioned should be removed (& Hot Stove brought back).
I could be wrong here, why Ron was removed had to do an interview he did with Gary & Ron pushed Gary about an issue (which Gary did not like).
I'vd never been a fan of Gary & never will.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

GordonH wrote:I could be wrong here, why Ron was removed had to do an interview he did with Gary & Ron pushed Gary about an issue (which Gary did not like).

I agree.

I believe you're right - it's much like how CBC fired Dave Hodge, IIRC.

Adding to my above post: people generally don't like change, especially when it's a national institution like HNIC. And that's even if the change is (objectively) close enough to the original. Now, couple that with the drastic jump Rogers/SN did with the format and panelists... Recipe for failure. I place the blame with 1) executive decisions, which leads to 2) panelist choices*, and 3) format/design.

*they went with "ego/loudmouths" rather than "professional/calm"; think Kypreos & Stock vs. Elliotte Friedman & Bob McKenzie. They went with flash & style over substance. I'm Canadian, dammit - I don't want my hockey shows fancied up, over the top, & "Americanized". In between puck drops, I just want the facts. Keep it simple. I think the vast majority of Canadians feel the same way.

That said: all Canadian teams missed the playoffs (first time since the 70s?), and they were also lacklustre throughout the regular season. I think that factor is being glossed over too much - it certainly played a large role.
Your bias suits you.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I could be wrong here, why Ron was removed had to do an interview he did with Gary & Ron pushed Gary about an issue (which Gary did not like).

Woodenhead wrote:I agree.

I believe you're right - it's much like how CBC fired Dave Hodge, IIRC.

Adding to my above post: people generally don't like change, especially when it's a national institution like HNIC. And that's even if the change is (objectively) close enough to the original. Now, couple that with the drastic jump Rogers/SN did with the format and panelists... Recipe for failure. I place the blame with 1) executive decisions, which leads to 2) panelist choices*, and 3) format/design.

*they went with "ego/loudmouths" rather than "professional/calm"; think Kypreos & Stock vs. Elliotte Friedman & Bob McKenzie. They went with flash & style over substance. I'm Canadian, dammit - I don't want my hockey shows fancied up, over the top, & "Americanized". In between puck drops, I just want the facts. Keep it simple. I think the vast majority of Canadians feel the same way.

That said: all Canadian teams missed the playoffs (first time since the 70s?), and they were also lacklustre throughout the regular season. I think that factor is being glossed over too much - it certainly played a large role.

I actually have not watched to much NHL games this past season, got hi-lights from TSN and its panel & Elliotte Friedman. Mainly because I can't stand most of the hockey people at Sportsnet.
CBC had up and coming hockey person that I started to like from HNIC Andi Petrillo currently at TSN (not doing to much with hockey though)
Gypsylady
Fledgling

Post by Gypsylady »

now we will be able to understand when mclean talks, the other guy was just a mumble, and his suits were tooo small.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

thank god, its about time ,bye,bye stroumboulopoulos :130: :130: i stopped watching HNIC because of that loser
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

old people never change :up:
Your bias suits you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

nothing to do with being old, the guy was not the right guy for the job, his ratings proved that,hello thats why they let him go
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Woodenhead wrote:old people never change :up:

Curious who would you like to see hosting HNIC, can come from CBC Sports.... Sportsnet.... or TSN
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

elliote friedman needs to go. he creates viral rumors and false flags too much. if you wanna keep your ear the to the tracks thats fine. but dont invent things like coaching problems or leadership problems or management problems or locker room problems that probably are not there. thats hack journalism.
and bob mackenzie is an example of the spearheading of the pussification of the modern millennials game. he whines about fighting and concussions too much. my favourite bob moment was the look of abject shock when he broke the news that sportsnet bought all the rights to the nhl. in that moment the gavel of irrelevance hit him like a ton of bricks. hnic canada should poach james duthie from TSN and bring in darren millard. but alas they are too good at their own segments to bring them in....
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

the truth wrote:nothing to do with being old, the guy was not the right guy for the job, his ratings proved that,hello thats why they let him go

ok whatever grandpa, don't get yer knickers in a knot
GordonH wrote:Curious who would you like to see hosting HNIC, can come from CBC Sports.... Sportsnet.... or TSN

I wouldn't have changed things from how CBC did it in the first place.
Your bias suits you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

grandpa ????? I am far from being that old
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Curious who would you like to see hosting HNIC, can come from CBC Sports.... Sportsnet.... or TSN

Woodenhead wrote:I wouldn't have changed things from how CBC did it in the first place.

That would have been nice, unfortunately Rogers had to f :cuss: around with format.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Yes, I miss the Satelite Hot Stove as well as Al Strachan, Mike Milbury and Pierre Lebrunt. I personally thought that George Stoumboulopoulos didn't do that bad of a job as host of HNIC, I find that Nick Kypreos especially on Hockey Central at Noon seems to be sort of a bully know it all and JP Stock is just a little bit corny for my liking. John Shannon I find very knowledgeable with not just hockey but other sports as well and I do like Doug McLean because of his past coaching, front office experience that he gives the viewers a different prospective. Former Leafs GM Gord Stellach I also find very knowledgeable and quite witty at times even though his tenture with the Leafs was rather desasterous.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”