OMG What happened to Grizzly lake!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

OMG What happened to Grizzly lake!

Post by Kalvin K »

It's gone! Completely empty!

Was out enjoying the backcountry today and we were shocked to see Grizzly lake. It's completely empty.

For those that don't know, Grizzly is a large mountain lake sorta between Beaver Lake and the Greystokes area. It USED to be quite large, and a great fishing lake - no fish alive in there anymore.

It had water in it this winter - you can tell where there was 2' of ice that fell in on itself when the lake was drained. We wandered over to where the dam is - everything looks normal except for the missing water.

Is this normal? There's no way the fish survived, so I'm thinking not?
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Re: OMG What happened to Grizzly lake!

Post by Kalvin K »

Did some googling and found this:

http://www.obwb.ca/coming-to-the-rescue-of-10000-trout/

Seems it's happened at least once before? A valve got stuck open and accidently drained the lake. Perhaps it's happened again?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: OMG What happened to Grizzly lake!

Post by Relentless »

When I was up in that area last year, I was told by a worker that they were dredging a few existing lakes(reservoirs)to make the capacity 3-4 times as much, as well, I think I heard they were possibly eliminating a couple of reservoirs and diverting water to different places because they had flooding issues a few years ago.

Haddu Lake got drained and dredged in the late fall of 2014, we were shocked to see it empty for the first time.
I will see if I can find some info on what happened....
Attachments
Haddu Lake drained.jpg

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”