Tobogganing, snow shoeing and a fire

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
skinguru

Tobogganing, snow shoeing and a fire

Post by skinguru »

Hi all, looking for recommendations as to where one can go to do all of the above mentioned? Any ideas? Our family would love to get outdoors over the holidays for some family fun. The schools are not an option as we need a little more advanced terrain than that and I'm sure that a fire would not be appreciated! Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Tobogganing, snow shoeing and a fire

Post by Bpeep »

It's too cold out there for me and those shenanigans.
Gonna curl up by the fire, watch a movie and imbibe in a fine cardboardeaux.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Somewhat dependant on where you live. If the Westside is convenient you could drive up towards the old Crystal Mountain ski hill. Just below the parking lot there is a great toboggan hill and having a fire is not a problem. I'm not sure if the road is still being plowed so please check with road maintenance or someone more familiar before you go.
Someone has to say it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Just head up the closest FSR. You'll find a spot.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Randomly choosing a place to toboggan is risky. I witnessed people do exactly what you suggested and a man snapped his leg so badly the thigh bone was sticking out of his skin with a shard ridden end.

The slope looked smooth and safe. What they didn't see was the boulder blanketed in snow. The toboggan , weighted with two adults, sunk in the snow as it passed the boulder and his leg, protruding slightly from the sled, caught and was bent back like a pretzel. He made it to the bottom though...in shock, terrible pain and in desperate need for medical aid.

Chances were slim but it happened. I learned a valuable lesson: toboggan where it is proven safe in terms of unseen obstacles. Poor bugger still limps and that was 20 years ago.
Someone has to say it.
62silverado

Post by 62silverado »

What a doink, no to tobogganing but you'll drive in this city. Har Har
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Head up gillard FSR or postill to do all three. Postill is plowed for the most part and there are many spots to do all three. Just please take home all your garbage as our forrest are already full of it :-X . Have fun and be safe :biggrin: .
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

generalposter wrote:Somewhat dependant on where you live. If the Westside is convenient you could drive up towards the old Crystal Mountain ski hill. Just below the parking lot there is a great toboggan hill and having a fire is not a problem. I'm not sure if the road is still being plowed so please check with road maintenance or someone more familiar before you go.

It was plowed and sanded a couple of days ago past Telemark.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”