2018 Winter Olympics

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics

Post by OldBlindDog »

GordonH wrote:Here we go again, Russian athlete tests positive for doping.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olym ... SKCN1G20GX

Should the Russian athletes been invited to South Korea.

Does doping really help much in curling? Unless it enhances mental clarity, I don't see how it helps in a sport where the mental aspect is much more important than raw athleticism.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Here we go again, Russian athlete tests positive for doping.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olym ... SKCN1G20GX

Should the Russian athletes been invited to South Korea.

OldBlindDog wrote:Does doping really help much in curling? Unless it enhances mental clarity, I don't see how it helps in a sport where the mental aspect is much more important than raw athleticism.

Every athlete should know the list banned substances at Olympics. Every athlete must be tested for that complete list.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

GordonH wrote:Every athlete should know the list banned substances at Olympics. Every athlete must be tested for that complete list.

But why would a curler take meldonium, of all things? I mean, this particular drug has gotten other Russians banned in the past, and you know the testers are looking out for it. How does this substance help one aim more accurately? I don't get it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ do you know what banned means. No one competing at any event can use any of banned substances. It doesn't matter if it would not help in the event the athlete is in, its banned..... Zero tolerance

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ed_by_WADA
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

GordonH wrote:^^^ do you know what banned means. No one competing at any event can use any of banned substances. It doesn't matter if it would not help in the event the athlete is in, its banned..... Zero tolerance

Dude, I understand the concept of banned substances. Don't insult my intelligence. What I don't understand is why a CURLER would take it. How does a banned substance that increases endurance and blood flow make a curler perform better?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

OldBlindDog wrote: What I don't understand is why a CURLER would take it. How does a banned substance that increases endurance and blood flow make a curler perform better?

Because as they get tired they don't sweep as well. Sweeping affects the amount of curl and can make a big difference in the game.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

OldBlindDog wrote:
GordonH wrote:^^^ do you know what banned means. No one competing at any event can use any of banned substances. It doesn't matter if it would not help in the event the athlete is in, its banned..... Zero tolerance

Dude, I understand the concept of banned substances. Don't insult my intelligence. What I don't understand is why a CURLER would take it. How does a banned substance that increases endurance and blood flow make a curler perform better?

Curlers do require strength and stamina to sweep, and sweep hard for that matter. That drug would increase blood flow during strength training but wouldn't necessarily improve their game, just their ability to build strength and stamina thus improving their game. BTW, I knew you understood the concept of banned substances. Anyway, that is my understanding based on what was said on the tube and on line.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

impo any athlete that cheats (add cheats by any method) by using a banned substance is an idiot, playing dumb is no defense.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The Russkies have been cheating since the dawn of time.

How many times testing positive will it take, before they earn a permanent ban?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Not ever been a fan of figure skating but at the Olympics, my good gracious.

Damn can they skate. That is athletic ability for sure.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Congrats to Virtue and Moir!!! Simply stunning, and marvelous representatives of Canadian sport.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Indeed congratulations to them. They are simply amazing skaters. :up:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Freaking amazing - damn I wanted them to be a couple real time!
Just watch
Beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irGj8oG2F6Q
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

The Homan rink appears divided and scared, imho. I think they're done. Too bad, cuz they really are a better rink than we've seen at the Olympics.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Snman wrote:The Homan rink appears divided and scared, imho. I think they're done. Too bad, cuz they really are a better rink than we've seen at the Olympics.

We have medal in every Olympics since Women were added as an event.
1998 was the first, so 2 Gold (1998 & 2014),1 silver (2010) & 2 bronze (2002, 2006)

Added: men have medal in every Olympics since curling was reintroduce (1998), they have won gold in last 3.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”