Firearms Forum!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Re: Firearms Forum!

Postby Jflem1983 » Oct 27th, 2018, 8:42 am

Open up the action have a look down the barrel. Get a pen light. U will see the rifling is likely pretty good. They used nickel steel back then. That stuff never decays. Never rusts. Back before the cheapness experts took over.

Saddle ring is a small ring on the reciever. For sticking your rifle onto a saddle. Adds 100 bucks or so to the value of your gun.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

TylerM4 likes this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3268 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Oct 27th, 2018, 8:51 am

Also got a Winchester Model 1897 12Ga pump action shortgun from him. Don't know much of the history. I think I read somewhere it's one of the 1st (if not the 1st) pump action shotguns ever made.

Similar story with this one. After finding a couple of small parts online, cleaning, and oiling, it shoots decently although it doesn't eject the spend shell very well. Upon inspection the modern plastic shells get longer after they're shot as the plastic crimp on the end unfurls. I believe it's the extra length of the spend shell that's causing that issue and I suspect if I was to find older shells made of paper it wouldn't be a problem.

It's also pretty beat up and I don't know it's history other than it belonged to my grandfather. Serial number on this one indicates approximately 105 yo.

Winchester Model 1897 #1.jpg

Winchester Model 1897 #2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1174 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Oct 27th, 2018, 8:57 am

TylerM4 wrote:Also got a Winchester Model 1897 12Ga pump action shortgun from him. Don't know much of the history. I think I read somewhere it's one of the 1st (if not the 1st) pump action shotguns ever made.

Similar story with this one. After finding a couple of small parts online, cleaning, and oiling, it shoots decently although it doesn't eject the spend shell very well. Upon inspection the modern plastic shells get longer after they're shot as the plastic crimp on the end unfurls. I believe it's the extra length of the spend shell that's causing that issue and I suspect if I was to find older shells made of paper it wouldn't be a problem.

It's also pretty beat up and I don't know it's history other than it belonged to my grandfather. Serial number on this one indicates approximately 105 yo.

Winchester Model 1897 #1.jpg

Winchester Model 1897 #2.jpg

First one that was any good . Of note. 1897s. Went to world war one as trench guns. Very valuable if real trench guns. Yours is not one. Dont worry.

Germans complained. Tried to say it was against war rules or something. Doughboys let the Krauts have it . Capable of slam firing these shotguns. Yours as well. Are incredibly fast. A trined shooter can shoot off 6 rounds in seconds.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

2 people like this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Postby TylerM4 » Oct 27th, 2018, 9:01 am

Jflem1983 wrote:Open up the action have a look down the barrel. Get a pen light. U will see the rifling is likely pretty good. They used nickel steel back then. That stuff never decays. Never rusts. Back before the cheapness experts took over.

Saddle ring is a small ring on the reciever. For sticking your rifle onto a saddle. Adds 100 bucks or so to the value of your gun.

No Saddle ring. I don't have a penlight, used my iPhone light to take a look which didn't work all that well. I was able to see a little - I could make out the rifling, but I dunno..it's looking pretty crusty in there.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1174 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Oct 27th, 2018, 9:04 am

So now a little history lesson. Both these guns. And most Winchester guns of that time. Were made by John Moses Browning. This man. Was a great man. A man who changed world history all by himself. Possibly one of the 100 greatest inventors. Certainly in modern times.

His name lives on today in Browning. Now owned by FN. In Herstal Belgium. However still maintaining a supposedly head office in Ogden Utah.

After the 1897. Browning built the Auto5. Tried to sell it to Remington. The Remington guy actually had a heart attack . So John Moses Browning shipped off to Belgium. Went into cahoots with FN.

FN produces many weapons of war today. They were overrun by the Nazis. But survived it. For a time there were even Nazi Brownings being used.

2 people like this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Postby Jflem1983 » Oct 27th, 2018, 10:46 am

Here is a saddle ring carbine i restored. Circa about 1903. I put a butt plate off a 1950s 1894 on it. That is why it has the shotgun style butt plate. Yours has the desirable nickle crescent shaped buttplate.

You can really make em look nice if you take a little time. Id be happy to help you along.

You are right in your value of your guns. Not worth a lot. Worth much more to you. If you decide to restore it. There is no reason not too

Jflem1983
Guru

Postby Jflem1983 » Oct 27th, 2018, 10:53 am

The add photo thing is so ridiculously hard to do. .... why cant they fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jflem1983
Guru

Postby the truth » Oct 27th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:So now a little history lesson. Both these guns. And most Winchester guns of that time. Were made by John Moses Browning. This man. Was a great man. A man who changed world history all by himself. Possibly one of the 100 greatest inventors. Certainly in modern times.

His name lives on today in Browning. Now owned by FN. In Herstal Belgium. However still maintaining a supposedly head office in Ogden Utah.

After the 1897. Browning built the Auto5. Tried to sell it to Remington. The Remington guy actually had a heart attack . So John Moses Browning shipped off to Belgium. Went into cahoots with FN.

FN produces many weapons of war today. They were overrun by the Nazis. But survived it. For a time there were even Nazi Brownings being used.

i am a fan of the fnc1 and fnc2 :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6443 posts

Postby the truth » Oct 27th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Last edited by the truth on Oct 27th, 2018, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby the truth » Oct 27th, 2018, 1:59 pm

ok one more for the good old days not so long ago, these were also alot of fun to fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVB6c2tDQ_8 love the smell it gives off
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Jflem1983 » Oct 27th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Sad to see so many people are afraid of guns. True story. Never seen a frown on the shooting range. Reach out to a confused liberal. Bring em out to the range. Let em pump off a few rounds. Bet they smile

2 people like this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Postby seewood » Nov 2nd, 2018, 6:48 pm

This crap weather has let me drag my reloading kit out.
Been a while but going to load some 308 for my son with the Nosler 165 grain partition ( use the same in my 06) Have a Remington 308 police special so want to load some 168 gr target rounds as well.
I have several books and articles, a variety of powder and primers.
Therapy for me sitting still and concentrating, same when I'm salmon fishing.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1306 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Nov 6th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Sad to see so many people are afraid of guns. True story. Never seen a frown on the shooting range. Reach out to a confused liberal. Bring em out to the range. Let em pump off a few rounds. Bet they smile

I bet we could give them a even bigger smile by taking them out into the bush, lighting a big hot white man fire, throwing a full propane tank on it and let them drift it with a 30.06
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 756 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 7th, 2018, 8:28 am

Anyone collect Marlins ? Love to get a nice JM stamped 45-70

Jflem1983
Guru

Postby seewood » Nov 7th, 2018, 8:33 am

Jflem1983 wrote:Anyone collect Marlins ? Love to get a nice JM stamped 45-70

Kinda wanted a .444 at one time. A stop pretty much anything round.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1306 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors