Firearms Forum!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
seewood
Guru

Re: Firearms Forum!

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 4:50 pm Oh, you mean your new souped up 300 win mag?
Have fun with your new 300 bro, at least while you still can.
:up: :130: Thanks, Still in the box with scope, bi-pod, T-3 brake and 4 boxes of factory.
Started processing the new brass yesterday. Chamfer and confirm size.
Being bolt action, I suspect I'll be able to keep it for some time to come. Regardless if that changes, I just bury it and wait for a hunting, target shooting, collecting sensible government to run the country.

Regarding the 300 mag, the stats show the 300prc has less drop at 1000 yards. 74 grains of powder or thereabouts pushing a stupid long 225 grn bullet
Yea, gonna be a blast ringing the steel like Hozzle at 1400+ yards...one day :D

Saw some of those older antique pistols on GP. Some are worth a pretty penny....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 2:57 pm Hozzle and seewood can show us a 1600m ring the gong shot.
Hozzle anyway, I'm afraid I'm still a work in progress at those ranges. I have the firearms (2) that will reach though.

The bullets I ordered for the 300PRC have shown up( 225 & 250 grn), 2.4 pounds of unobtainium ( H1000 powder) and primers, good to start making some rounds...
Been looking for R-26 powder, none to be found in North America right now. When some is posted on GP, It's gone PDQ.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 5:28 pm Dude, I can't hardly see a target 160m nevermind 1600m.
5 X 25 X 56mm scope makes it a bit easier..
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 10:40 am Rinse repeat with the 303. My gramps had one from ww1 as well.
The 303 technique... use your middle effu finger for the trigger and your index and thumb for the bolt. Most ww1 guys could empty a full magazine in 5 seconds.
The Lee-Enfield Straight Back Bolt action was a pretty decent upgrade to the original 303 plus it had a 10rnd mag which I'm sure the boys on the front lines really appreciated. A good soldier while aiming could unload 20-30 rounds in 60 seconds.

What's quite interesting is how Sniper Rifles were designated. There was nothing special about ww1/2 sniper rifles, basically, any rifle during initial factory testing that shot above the average accuracy point was set aside, mounted with a scope (and a few other accessories/modifications), and given out to sniper teams. The Lee-Enfields were highly favored.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Nedroj wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 7:30 am The Lee-Enfields were highly favored.
So much so I believe they were used into the early 60's. They might have been changed to the 7.62 ( .308) cartridge by then though. Accuracy then was 2.5 moa meaning if the rounds fell into a 2.5 inch circle at 100 yards, good to go. :200:

Today a sniper rifle is around .5-1.0 inch at 100 yards.- 5-10 inches at 1000 yards.

So many Canadian kids started their hunting with an old .303, most with iron sights. I did and kept my shots under about 75 yards.
The lead tipped cartridges in the magazine would deform from recoil when the gun fired giving me pause if wanting a kill shot after 100 yards. The ballistic tip cartridges today don't have the same issue.
Great battle rifle and great hunting rifle.
Hope the boffins in Ottawa don't ban it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My mom dropped a moose with the Lee Enfield when I was a young kid. I now have that gun but yet to fire it. Maybe I'll join OT for some shooting and try it out.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 2:27 pm I just sold a no.5 mk 1( or is it a no.1 mk 5?)jungle carbine in really brutal shape a few months back for under 400.
Did it have numbers matching bolt?

The wood pretty beat up? The jungle carbine (.303) was the first gun(borrowed) I took deer hunting for my first season.( 1981)
The next summer, bought my 06. After 40 years the bolt slides like it's jeweled. Kid can use it now..
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 5:42 pm And it was ' sporterized'...which now that I think about it is why I didn't want to keep it.
yea, lots of those around. An original jungle with matching numbers and in decent shape would be a nice rifle to have in a collection. 98K as well, along with a M1 Garand, Nagant maybe even... My safe is full so there is that.. :-X

I get those "Forgotten Weapons" popping up time to time on my phone. Great stuff while waiting at the Dr's or dentists.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^ shaking my head. They always act as if 7.62x39 is a big round! They didn't even try to compare it to regular higher powered hunting rifle. I bet the guy was using FMJ which causes less damage inside the body.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Glacier wrote: Jan 18th, 2023, 12:37 pm I bet the guy was using FMJ which causes less damage inside the body.
Exactly. However tragic this event was, Scalise is back thankfully.
If the attempted assassin was using a hunting bullet , I doubt Scalise would be with us today.

Just wonder what a 22 gauge would have done?

Stupid libs.

This new bill will be a wedge issue when it comes to an election. I don't believe it has made it to the senate floor yet and may just take a while as it sits on the desks of those over worked senators.. [icon_lol2.gif]
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Interviewer: "Do you think the availability of guns is a problem today?"

Bob Dylan: "I don't think there are enough guns."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Glacier wrote: Jan 18th, 2023, 4:20 pm nterviewer: "Do you think the availability of guns is a problem today?"

Bob Dylan: "I don't think there are enough guns."
Mendecino's head goes pop [icon_lol2.gif]
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

seewood wrote: Jan 18th, 2023, 4:42 pm Mendecino's head goes pop [icon_lol2.gif]
Though it was said in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAR7M5Zyra4
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Glacier wrote: Jan 18th, 2023, 5:37 pm Though it was said in 1993.
yeup, likely would have been.

As I'm getting into reloading, I need powder. Trying to find certain powders is now a time wasting way to spend an hour or two on the computer.
Have a new 300 PRC and the recommended powders are H-1000, RL-26 and N-565. I was very fortunate to score a couple of pounds of H-1000 locally but the other two?? complete unobtanium, across North America. Some available in England of all places and the scam sites claim to have some. ( look for bitcoin, paypal etc. methods of payment)
Any out there have a few pounds they want to sell??
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 10:27 am Have you tried the guy in vernon?
Thanks eh. I had tried Eagle Industries a week or so ago but should try again I suppose.
Best I can do is get on some waiting lists. Pretty much every store across Canada has pretty limited supply, none of which are the powder of choice for the longer range shooting.
I'll just prep cases and make some 300 PRC loads up with some of the H-1000 I have. Still have a bit of Retumbo I believe but the 300 PRC case takes upwards of 75-8- grains so a pound can get eaten up quickly. Besides the Retumbo is also used in the 6.5 PRC I have.
According to the interweb, there are three in Vernon. I'll have a go. 2 stores in Kelowna, 1 in Westbank and 1 in Penticton are out.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”