Urban raccoons

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Urban raccoons

Postby KelownaCC » Jun 19th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Is anyone else having problems with urban raccoons? If so, what are you doing about it? We've had a raccoon in our neighbourhood for at least a month now and want to know if there are any bylaws against trapping & relocating it. And if that is not allowed, what are we allowed to do? It ate most of my hot peppers last night, and got into a yowling match with my cat (luckily only yelling, no physical contact). I worry about my pets, my garden, the neighbour's chickens, etc.
On the SPCA website it recommends against relocating them until August, when any potential babies are old enough to survive on their own, but we don't even know if its a male or female and don't know whose yard it is living in. I couldn't find any info on the city of Kelowna or Regional District websites about urban raccoons. I live in the North End, many blocks away from any wilderness or even a park with big trees.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Liked in: 11 posts

Re: Urban raccoons

Postby gman313 » Jun 19th, 2018, 1:05 pm

KelownaCC wrote:Is anyone else having problems with urban raccoons? If so, what are you doing about it? We've had a raccoon in our neighbourhood for at least a month now and want to know if there are any bylaws against trapping & relocating it. And if that is not allowed, what are we allowed to do? It ate most of my hot peppers last night, and got into a yowling match with my cat (luckily only yelling, no physical contact). I worry about my pets, my garden, the neighbour's chickens, etc.
On the SPCA website it recommends against relocating them until August, when any potential babies are old enough to survive on their own, but we don't even know if its a male or female and don't know whose yard it is living in. I couldn't find any info on the city of Kelowna or Regional District websites about urban raccoons. I live in the North End, many blocks away from any wilderness or even a park with big trees.

I also live in the north end and come across an entire family. I see them on Roanoke near Richter really early when I go for runs. 5ish.

I occasionally hear them too but it could be two cats fighting. Racoons are nasty when cornered or if defending their young.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1431 posts

Postby gman313 » Jun 19th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Sounds like we would need a permit as discharging a firearm within city limits is of course illegal

I won't say anything though....

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/envi ... s/raccoons
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1431 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 19th, 2018, 1:14 pm

There are laws that stipulate that we can not interfere with wildlife, including Marmots and would include Racoons.

Be VERY CAREFUL when dealing with Racoons. They may look cute, but are very dangerous. They can and will rip open your roof to make a nest in your attic.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3698 posts

Postby KelownaCC » Jun 19th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Ok, so maybe a pest control company is our next step. I haven't seen any evidence of it getting into our garbage or anyone else in our alley, so I suspect it must be raiding other gardens in the neighbourhood. We have a huge cherry tree, so I was surprised it went after my hot peppers. It left 2, ripped off the plants, so maybe the heat in the pepper seeds hit after it started ripping & munching. I hope the peppers were hot enough to give it a tummy ache, but now I'm worried it will come back for our bell peppers and tomatoes.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 19th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Where do you guys find these raccoons? Since moving here 12 years ago I've seen 3 full-grown raccoons and no babies. They advise against trapping and relocating if there are rats in the neighbourhood - seems the raccoons keep them in check.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6409 posts

Postby KelownaCC » Jun 19th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I've lived in Kelowna for 27 years, and in this house for 13 years. I had only seen one raccoon in town prior to this spring. I suspect its because we always had large dogs living on either side of us and now they have moved. The neighbour across the alley with dogs has not had the raccoon in his yard. Its true, we do not have a rat problem in the neighbourhood.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Postby voice of reason » Jun 19th, 2018, 2:23 pm

i get raccoons up on my back porch a couple times a year.im not in the city though .they usually come around in the fall . i like them .they dont bother me. marmotts on the other hand can burn in hell
voice of reason
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 974 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 19th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Have seen 4 marmots, 5 deer, 2 coyotes, 1 bear cub, 3 raccoons, lots of ducks and geese and 2 foxes since moving here. No squirrels though but plenty of crows and the occasional woodpecker who thinks the metal roof vent is his mating calling card - not fun when the sun rises.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6409 posts

Postby Fancy » Jun 19th, 2018, 2:37 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Have seen 4 marmots, 5 deer, 2 coyotes, 1 bear cub, 3 raccoons, and 2 foxes since moving here. No squirrels though.

I've seen lots of gray squirrels downtown Kelowna and a few marmots that appeared to have hitched a ride from other locations and the odd deer. In our neighbourhood see lots of critters and we put out a live trap for the raccoons but they seemed to have passed through. We do have resident red squirrels which I would love to feed but we finally got rid of the rats (hopefully). Raccoons are so common in bigger centres that unless they get into your house people pretty much ignore them and critter proof their gardens etc.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6567 posts

Postby KelownaCC » Jun 19th, 2018, 2:43 pm

We have 4 raised beds and many containers of veggies. Critter proofing them has not been necessary in past years. The squirrels are satisfied with the sunflower seeds that we put out for the birds and they don't mess with the garden.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Postby Fancy » Jun 19th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6567 posts

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors