Hunting

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Hunting

Postby Able » Sep 8th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Is anyone else concerned that the Govt. is slowly pricing hunters out of the sport through its continuous requirements to take more and more hunter/gun safety courses? This latest P.A.L. requirement is not only expensive but also time consuming. I don't have a problem with safety courses for first time hunters but it seems that the Govt. is trying to drive hunters out of the bush through ever increasing costs.
Sometimes you eat the bear.....sometimes the bear eats you.
Able
Fledgling

Liked in: 39 posts

Re: Hunting

Postby seewood » Sep 9th, 2018, 9:28 am

^^^^ Not sure here.
I believe I paid $125 for the PAL 11 hour course a year or two ago as I let my previous one expire. Not a big issue to me. If I wanted my restricted then it cost a bit more and another day. Good thing really to have these courses in place.
I understand if I renew before expiry then I don't have to take the course again.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Brushy Bill likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1389 posts

Postby Vulcanite » Nov 7th, 2018, 8:47 pm

I didn't mine taking the courses or the price and time involved. I learned a lot and feel better prepared for when I do have opportunities to go hunting. In any endeavor there are costs involved. Both in money and time. One just has to weigh the costs versus enjoyment to determine if it's worth it.
Vulcanite

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Brushy Bill » Dec 3rd, 2018, 6:18 pm

Expensive? Time consuming?
Better take up a different passtime
Brushy Bill

Liked in: 18 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Dec 3rd, 2018, 6:42 pm

Able wrote:Is anyone else concerned that the Govt. is slowly pricing hunters out of the sport through its continuous requirements to take more and more hunter/gun safety courses? This latest P.A.L. requirement is not only expensive but also time consuming. I don't have a problem with safety courses for first time hunters but it seems that the Govt. is trying to drive hunters out of the bush through ever increasing costs.

Nope

seewood likes this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 1925 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 3rd, 2018, 11:22 pm

Able wrote:Is anyone else concerned that the Govt. is slowly pricing hunters out of the sport through its continuous requirements to take more and more hunter/gun safety courses? This latest P.A.L. requirement is not only expensive but also time consuming. I don't have a problem with safety courses for first time hunters but it seems that the Govt. is trying to drive hunters out of the bush through ever increasing costs.
Kinda wondering what's the "more and more" you're talking about? In 30 years there's only a couple of courses I needed to take.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Brushy Bill likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7050 posts

Postby KTM Kid » Jan 18th, 2019, 5:06 pm

I don't think the courses are really that much of an issue. PAL for safety with firearms, while the CORE helps everyone identify an animal properly so there's fewer(in a perfect world....none) shot and left in the bush.
My issue is the the Regs themselves. For examples, I don't like these 4-pt or better Mule, spiked bull moose, or 6-pt or better bull elk seasons. Why, because I think it's leading to a lot more game being misidentified through a scope, shot, and then left. Now I know there's going to be a lot of guys that are going to say.... slow it down....take a second look before you do anything.
I agree 100%, but things are not always this black and white in the field, and mistakes can be made by the best of us in the heat moment.
I would support a change to the regs that would allow for general seasons for any buck or bull, and in exchange shorten the existing season to manage the number of game taken.
Thoughts?
KTM Kid

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 18th, 2019, 5:32 pm

KTM Kid wrote: would support a change to the regs that would allow for general seasons for any buck or bull, and in exchange shorten the existing season to manage the number of game taken.Thoughts?

On weekends it is a nut house out there over two months in easier to get to places.
I'm thinking this is done to give hunters that like taking nice 2-3 points with decent meat and also allowing hunters that like big stinky 4-5 points. :D
What time of year would the shortened season be? Earlier and game is high or hiding in the cool timber, later and hunters can be dealing with snow and shutting them out. ( generalization)
I suspect this has been thought out and the ladies and gents in the offices have tried to provide the best they can for hunters and game population control.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1389 posts

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors