2018 Ladies US Open Final

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

2018 Ladies US Open Final

Postby Urbane » Sep 8th, 2018, 5:50 pm

My wife and I watched the Ladies US Open Final today and once again Serena Williams had a meltdown. Very disappointing. For those interested, here's what I consider a very accurate account of what happened:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/serena ... air-umpire
"Spectemur agendo"

2 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 12782 posts

Re: 2018 Ladies US Open Final

Postby GordonH » Sep 8th, 2018, 6:36 pm

I'm not tennis fan, but here is my assessment.

Serena is not getting any younger, so at this point all she really has is her pure power.... what speed she had is fading especially against early 20 somethings.
impo she should move away from singles & team up with her sister in doubles action.

Added: last known power hitter... Martina Navratilova won her last single i believe when she was 34, retired from doubles at 50.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8619 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Urbane » Sep 8th, 2018, 7:04 pm

GordonH wrote:I'm not tennis fan, but here is my assessment.

Serena is not getting any younger, so at this point all she really has is her pure power.... what speed she had is fading especially against early 20 somethings.
    impo she should move away from singles & team up with her sister in doubles action.

Added: last known power hitter... Martina Navratilova won her last single i believe when she was 34, retired from doubles at 50.
I've have watched a lot of tennis over the years and while I don't doubt that coaching goes on all the time, during matches and contrary to the rules, I never remember a coach being so blatant as Serena's coach was today. Her coach admitted to coaching today and that's what the penalty was for. Whether or not Serena received the coaching wasn't the issue. It was her coach actually coaching.

She should have realized that smashing her racket later on would be a second violation and the loss of a point. Anyway, she's certainly one of the all-time greats but she's often lacking in the sportsmanship department. That was sadly evident again today. She was thoroughly outplayed by Osaka and good on her for a great performance. Anyone interested in this subject can read the article I linked to because I think the author sums up the situation quite well.
"Spectemur agendo"

SuperMom likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby liisgo » Sep 8th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Yep, that was one of the worst shows of sportsmanship we've seen in a while. She got beaten hands down.
Her coach immediately acknowledged that he was coaching her, and good conduct for admitting.
Then for Williams to resort to shaming and using the female victim card, stating she is being treated unfairly because she is a woman is a joke and and embarrassment. Even the 3 other female sportcasters at the interview used the same time to state women are treated to different standards than the guys.
Time to grow up.
Great match though.

3 people like this post.
liisgo
Fledgling

Liked in: 224 posts

Postby Urbane » Sep 9th, 2018, 9:28 am

Latest, from USA Today:

NEW YORK (AP) — Serena Williams has been fined a total of $17,000 for three code violations during the U.S. Open final.

The tournament referee's office Sunday docked Williams $10,000 for "verbal abuse" of chair umpire Carlos Ramos, $4,000 for being warned for coaching, and $3,000 for breaking her racket.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/t ... /37764339/
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby zoo » Sep 9th, 2018, 2:06 pm

https://www.therichest.com/rich-list/th ... of-tennis/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/t ... 734213002/

According to ITF Grand Slam rules:

Verbal abuse is defined as a statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise.
Abuse of racquets or equipment is defined as intentionally, dangerously and violently destroying or damaging racquets.
Players shall not receive coaching during a match (including the warm-up). Communications of any kind, audible or visible, between a player and a coach may be construed as coaching.
Former umpire Richard Ings, who was also in charge of officials and rules on the men's tour, backed Ramos' actions.

"Carlos was composed, effective, knowledgeable of the rules and applied them absolutely correctly in each of those three situations," he told Radio 5 live.

"He saw violations, he had the courage of his convictions to call them when he saw it and I support him 110%. It's one of the best officiating jobs I've seen in years."

Williams was an absolute embarrassment just with her melt down. But then to resort to sexism and discrimination tactics is another issue all in itself. whats behind the immediate entitlement of being able to resort to these for a back up when you just plain got beaten at your game and called on your childish behavior. Loser.
Last edited by zoo on Sep 9th, 2018, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urbane likes this post.
zoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby Even Steven » Sep 9th, 2018, 4:14 pm

She was wayyyy out of line. Should have forfeited the game for arguing with the referee.

By the way, has she ever been tested for steroids? She is such a beast.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2291 posts

Postby Urbane » Sep 9th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Some good points made here:

But privately and publicly, tennis officials — past and present — defended Ramos on Sunday. Morrissey said Mouratoglou’s coaching was so blatant it deserved to be sanctioned immediately.

“I don’t think that clear coaching can be handled that way,” Morrissey said of the soft warning option. “It’s so rare to be able to be sure of it that the soft approach needs to be reserved for the majority of cases when it’s not clear.”

Richard Ings, another former chair umpire from Australia, said Mouratoglou signaled twice “to ensure Serena saw it.”

“No way Carlos could have let that slide,” Ings said. “He had to stop it, and stop it he did. I thought Carlos was brilliant, courageous and calm.”

As for the verbal abuse, Morrissey said Ramos was restrained, not rash.

“I don’t know what was said by Carlos, but I don’t think I would have found a good way to remind her about the potential game penalty without throwing fuel on the fire,” Morrissey said. “Maybe there was a way, but given her mood, not easy or likely at all.”

He added that “the ‘thief’ accusation is not one any chair umpire on any court should ignore.”

The accusation was made after Williams already had expressed her discontent at length. The Grand Slam rule book defines verbal abuse as a statement about an official that “implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.”

Williams herself said she had not had negative experiences when Ramos had worked her matches in the past.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/spor ... -open.html

It turns out that Ramos has been even-handed regardless of gender. Two examples: He called two time violations against Rafael Nadal a few years ago and Nadal was upset with him. After the match Nadal did say he respected Ramos though. And Andy Murray was annoyed by a call at the 2016 Olympics and told Ramos that his umpiring was stupid. Murray was cited for abuse of the chair umpire.

Those who make the rules need to sort things out of they believe there are issues regarding coaching etc., but in the meantime it's very unfair to throw Ramos under the bus because he enforced those rules.
"Spectemur agendo"

SuperMom likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Sep 10th, 2018, 9:14 am

The cartoonist is having to defend himself because if you suggest that Serena Williams is lacking in the sportsmanship department you are automatically racist or sexist. Here it is:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Spectemur agendo"

Bsuds likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Sep 10th, 2018, 10:21 am

We must be Politically correct to the extreme or else! :-X
Alcohol, because no good story ever started with eating a salad!

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12257 posts

Postby Gilchy » Sep 10th, 2018, 1:41 pm

The cartoon does several things:
-Changes Naomi Osaka into a white blonde girl
-The caricature of Williams is a textbook classically rascist depiction.

No one is saying that the ump cost Williams the match, Osaka was winning no matter what. It's that when a guy used to throw a fit on the court (McEnroe) he was "the bad boy of tennis". When a female does it, it's viewed as a negative character flaw.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 736 posts

Postby Urbane » Sep 10th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Gilchy wrote:No one is saying that the ump cost Williams the match, Osaka was winning no matter what. It's that when a guy used to throw a fit on the court (McEnroe) he was "the bad boy of tennis". When a female does it, it's viewed as a negative character flaw.
On the other hand:

One of the most notable tennis players to ever default a match was John McEnroe. At the 1990 Australian Open he got his first warning for intimidating a lineswoman who called his ball out. He stood in front of her, bouncing a ball on his racket and staring her down.

Later, after losing a point, he hurled his racket to the ground and a loud crack echoed through the court, earning him another code violation. After insisting to the umpire and tournament officials that he would continue to play with the damaged racket McEnroe slung insults over his shoulder as he walked away. That earned him another violation -- this one for verbal abuse -- and the entire match went to his opponent, Swede Mikael Pernfors.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/10/tennis/t ... index.html

If there is a double-standard in tennis it should be addressed but Serena Williams went it about the wrong way at the wrong time. Even those who are Serena fans probably would have preferred her to make her point about the coaching violation (a correct call on the part of the chair umpire) and then let it go. It must be said that her coach was signalling her to move to the net and in fact after he did that she did move to the net and did better for a while. Just saying.
"Spectemur agendo"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby liisgo » Sep 10th, 2018, 4:45 pm

“To say she’s fighting for women’s rights, when what she is is a bad sport. She’s not fighting for women’s rights, that is a joke and that’s an insult to people who do fight for women’s rights.
“This is a woman who in 2009 threatened to shove a ball down an umpire’s f-ing throat and was only fined $10,000 by her sport. This is a woman who, again, verbally threatened a linesman in 2014. People have not stood up to Serena Williams.”

She has an issue, no doubt about that, her passed history clearly shows this. To try and change that, and the obvious wrongs she did on the court, with the poor women thing, and racism etc is a joke to exactly whats wrong with feminists. Justifying her actions. BooHoo.
No, the real disappointment is that for all those years she enjoyed the lime light of winning, when she loses she stole that same enjoyment from another female tennis star. She took that exciting time away from another women for her own *bleep*.
And the 2 other sportscasters that also tried to justify it with discrimination and sexism are also a joke and should lose their jobs.
She is a disgrace and and loser.
liisgo
Fledgling

Liked in: 224 posts

Postby GordonH » Sep 10th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Bottom line Serena had her as :cuss: kicked by young up a coming tennis player.
Instead of being gracious in her defeat, she couldn't except it... so Serena took it out with the officiating.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8619 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby JLives » Sep 10th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Urbane wrote:The cartoonist is having to defend himself because if you suggest that Serena Williams is lacking in the sportsmanship department you are automatically racist or sexist. Here it is:

Why is her opponent shown as a blond white girl? That's part of the reason why.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6166 posts

Next

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors