Is Playing Goalie a Worthwhile Investment?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Is Playing Goalie a Worthwhile Investment?

Postby Glacier » Nov 13th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Heck ya, it is. I switched from playing skater to goalie last year. Spent $1200 on equipment, but I get to play for free now, and even get paid in beer sometimes. And the odd night that do play out, they only make me pay $10 instead of the regular $15.

So at $15 a night, it would take 80 times to recoup your investment. There's a real shortage of goalies this year it seems, so I'm playing up to 5 times a week. I could do like 8 days a week if I wanted to. On average I'm playing 3 nights a week because I keep turning people down. Anyway, at 3 times a week for 20 weeks/year, that's 60 games/year of hockey. So, the return on investment is well under 2 years. There's really no other investment out there that gives you a return of under two years. There wouldn't be a shortage of goalies if more people would do that math.

Also, because it's less physically demanding than playing out, I can actually get up for work the next morning.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

2 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11111 posts

Re: Is Playing Goalie a Worthwhile Investment?

Postby LANDM » Nov 13th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Forum would say yes. :biggrin:
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3788 posts

Postby mexi cali » Nov 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm

And it's the coolest of all the positions. And you're on the ice the whole time.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

2 people like this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 3842 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 13th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Glacier wrote:Heck ya, it is. I switched from playing skater to goalie last year. Spent $1200 on equipment, but I get to play for free now, and even get paid in beer sometimes. And the odd night that do play out, they only make me pay $10 instead of the regular $15.

So at $15 a night, it would take 80 times to recoup your investment. There's a real shortage of goalies this year it seems, so I'm playing up to 5 times a week. I could do like 8 days a week if I wanted to. On average I'm playing 3 nights a week because I keep turning people down. Anyway, at 3 times a week for 20 weeks/year, that's 60 games/year of hockey. So, the return on investment is well under 2 years. There's really no other investment out there that gives you a return of under two years. There wouldn't be a shortage of goalies if more people would do that math.

Also, because it's less physically demanding than playing out, I can actually get up for work the next morning.

Sounds like you're trying out an argument with Mrs. Glacier ("No!") out on your sympathetic castanet friends. :admin:

I'm with Mrs. Glacier.
Needed you to ask? :135:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

Glacier likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14150 posts

Postby JayByrd » Nov 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

If "it's a sound investment" is the only reason someone plays goal, they're probably not much of a goaltender.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1488 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Nov 21st, 2018, 12:33 pm

If one is a 400lb oaf less money needed for padding and they still
plug the hole....

:147:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3526 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 21st, 2018, 12:52 pm

Glace needs all the padding he can get,
Jus' saying.

:biggrin:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Glacier » Nov 21st, 2018, 1:08 pm

I have short legs relative to my upper body length. This makes me vulnerable to shots low in the corners, but helps me to plug the five hole easily.

But playing is free and totally worth it by allowing me time to pursue of my real passion in life instead of less important things like spending time with my wife and kids and *gasp* posting on Castanet.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby dirtybiker » Nov 21st, 2018, 1:16 pm

Got it, just bored and felt like stirring a cauldron....
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Glacier likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3526 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 21st, 2018, 1:20 pm

Glacier wrote:I have short legs relative to my upper body length. This makes me vulnerable to shots low in the corners, but helps me to plug the five hole easily.

But playing is free and totally worth it by allowing me time to pursue of my real passion in life instead of less important things like spending time with my wife and kids and *gasp* posting on Castanet.

How does playing give you free time?
And collecting bottle caps is not a passion in life, it's an illness. Get help. :up:

dirtybiker likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby JayByrd » Nov 29th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Glacier wrote:I have short legs relative to my upper body length. This makes me vulnerable to shots low in the corners, but helps me to plug the five hole easily.

I'm not sure I understand this. In your butterfly, your upper leg pads, pants, and proper stick placement will prevent shots going through your legs. Leg length doesn't have much to do with it.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Postby Glacier » Nov 29th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Easier to go down and back up. No 7 foot 9 goalies in the NHL. Too much time involved going down.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby JayByrd » Dec 1st, 2018, 3:24 pm

The fact that goaltenders are on average getting taller, and in fact it's quite rare to see a goalie under six feet tall make the NHL anymore, seems to go against your logic. At the pro level, it's not so much about quickness anymore. Thus you don't see the undersized acrobats (Mike Palmateer, Mike Vernon, even Grant Fuhr) coming up out of junior hockey. The modern goaltender plays a hybrid style, and relies on sound technique to stop the puck. Players skate too fast and shoot too hard to rely on reflexes anymore.

But then we're not talking about the NHL, we're talking about a men's league player who just started playing goal.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors