Why won’t Wayne Gretzky pick up his Order of Canada?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Why won’t Wayne Gretzky pick up his Order of Canada?

Postby oneh2obabe » Nov 15th, 2018, 3:57 am

Sam Galet, Gretzky’s representative in 2015 said Gretzky had trouble fitting an investiture into his schedule. It’s not like there weren’t opportunities: investitures are held four times a year, so, by then, there had been around 24 ceremonies at Rideau Hall in Ottawa at which he could have claimed the insignia.

He’s the Great One, perhaps the best hockey player the world has known. Every few years, his name is bandied around as a possible governor general. His 2002 induction into Canada’s Walk of Fame mentioned his love of Canada. Yet it appears that love has its limits.

In May 2009, Wayne Gretzky was awarded the nation’s highest civilian honour, companion of the Order of Canada. He’s never picked it up.

He points out that the current nine-year wait is not even a record for Gretzky, who lives in California and has dual citizenship. Fourteen years after he was awarded the lower rank of officer of the Order of Canada, Gretzky finally got around to collecting that insignia—but not at a public investiture, where he’d have to watch as other worthy recipients claimed their own honours. Instead, Gretzky, then a New York Ranger, in town to play the Senators, dropped by Rideau Hall in 1998 to get it at a private ceremony with then-governor general Roméo LeBlanc.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/why ... of-canada/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 7312 posts

Re: Why won’t Wayne Gretzky pick up his Order of Canada?

Postby GordonH » Nov 15th, 2018, 8:43 am

Macleans could have asked him directly this past week, since Wayne was in Toronto at the HHF induction ceremony.
If they didn't then I guess it's not that important to Macleans after all.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

Glacier likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8720 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 15th, 2018, 10:00 am

Bet he has a bit of class. Realizes he was just a hockey player. Wants the Order of Canada to mean something to those who recieve it also he has been in USA for 30 years.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3272 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 15th, 2018, 11:20 am

Here's a previous article:

The Governor General’s website states that Gretzky was given it “for his continued contributions to the world of hockey, notably, as one of the best players of all time, as well as for his social engagement as a philanthropist, volunteer and role model for countless young people.”

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/awarde ... ick-it-up/

Maybe because he's already received an Order of Canada? (1984)
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7552 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 15th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Fancy wrote:Here's a previous article:

The Governor General’s website states that Gretzky was given it “for his continued contributions to the world of hockey, notably, as one of the best players of all time, as well as for his social engagement as a philanthropist, volunteer and role model for countless young people.”

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/awarde ... ick-it-up/

Maybe because he's already received an Order of Canada? (1984)

There are 3 levels:
1) Companion.... this is the one Wayne hasn't picked up
2) Officer.... this is the one he received in 1984
3) Member
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Fancy » Nov 15th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I understand that - I thought there was some controversy regarding the 3 tier system though. It was just a guess anyway.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby GordonH » Nov 15th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Fancy wrote:I understand that - I thought there was some controversy regarding the 3 tier system though. It was just a guess anyway.

This link is from GG site:
https://www.gg.ca/en/honours/canadian-h ... d-insignia
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Fancy » Nov 15th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I'm aware - met Pauline McGibbon after she was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1967. There's always a little pomp and ceremony with these awards and Macleans seems more than a little puzzled why Gretzky doesn't pick his up.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 15th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Again. I think he has a bit of class. Realizes he has been a Californian for half his life. Has not spent much time in Canada for ages. Knows he was just a hockey player. At a time when that mattered in Canada.

So many Great Canadians.

I think Gretzky would just like to see everyone else honoured. He has won many awards.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3272 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 15th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Again. I think he has a bit of class. Realizes he has been a Californian for half his life. Has not spent much time in Canada for ages. Knows he was just a hockey player. At a time when that mattered in Canada.

So many Great Canadians.

I think Gretzky would just like to see everyone else honoured. He has won many awards.

Wayne's hockey hero lived majority of his life right up to his passing in the US, he received Order of Canada. impo a class act himself... Gordie Howe

Jflem1983 likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Mark5 » Dec 7th, 2018, 10:42 am

The order of Canada is a Liberal party of Canada award . Gretzky is not a Liberal.
Mark5
Fledgling

Liked in: 311 posts

Postby SPOCK » Jan 11th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Mark5 wrote:The order of Canada is a Liberal party of Canada award . Gretzky is not a Liberal.

You are a biased idiot. The award is from the GG and has been around for decades including the Mulrony and Harper years.
SPOCK
Live long and prosper.
SPOCK

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 11th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Mark5 wrote:The order of Canada is a Liberal party of Canada award . Gretzky is not a Liberal.

Wow...What an ill informed and ignorant statement!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Canada
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12390 posts

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors