Vancouver and Toronto announce Overwatch League teams

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Vancouver and Toronto announce Overwatch League teams

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 21st, 2018, 6:09 pm

A bit late in posting, but Toronto and Vancouver have both announced their branding and rosters for their overwatch teams.

First we have the Toronto Defiant

Followed by the Vancouver Titans

The Titans are owned by the Aquilini group, and thus sporting the same colours as the Canucks. That said, they sport a full Korean roster. It’s unfortunate there is less Canadian representation on the teams as Canada has some of the top players in the league (Surefour from Calgary for instance who plays for LA Gladiators) that said, The Titans are built around the former competitors league star team Runaways, which are fan favourites worldwide. Vancouver stands to be very successful in their first year.

Season 2 starts February 14th, with Toronto’s first game on the 15th vs Houston, and Vancouver on the 16th vs a retooled Shanghai.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4361 posts

Re: Vancouver and Toronto announce Overwatch League teams

Postby GordonH » Dec 21st, 2018, 6:26 pm

I laugh at what some consider to be sports i.e video games, poker etc.. etc

Added: probably never played a game of actual sports in there lives.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8269 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 21st, 2018, 6:36 pm

Without trying to derail the topic too much, what is your criteria for something to be a “sport”

eSports draw in huge crowds and support. The players train for hours a day to stay st the top of their game. Some in the case of Overwatch require high levels of teamwork, coordination, reflexes, and strategy. It’s a little more involved than something like poker. Or Golf.

Most sports are simply muscle memory, hand eye coordination, reflexes, and teamwork (Golf only fulfilling the first of those). All of those things are very important in esports such as Overwatch.

Anyways, back to topic. The league will be making several road trips this year. The eventual plan is for the titans to play out of Rogers Arena in season 3, but hopefully we will have a chance to see them here live this season. Currently the majority of games are played in LA (where I had the pleasure of seeing my favourite team live back in June)
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby GordonH » Dec 21st, 2018, 6:48 pm

I have only 1 criteria, real life.

Real life
= going to an actual golf course & playing a round
= in my younger years being on a team i.e wrestling (olympic style), soccer, baseball etc... etc
etc... etc
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 21st, 2018, 6:55 pm

GordonH wrote:I have only 1 criteria, real life.

Real life
= going to an actual golf course & playing a round
= in my younger years being on a team i.e wrestling (olympic style), soccer, baseball etc... etc
etc... etc

Interesting. And how exactly would you define real life?
These people are going to the arena to compete. Just like hockey players. Their tool is a mouse and keyboard rather than skates and a stick. They are spending hours exerting themselves for the entertainment of others. Alongside the rest of their team.

Nobody would say Hockey isn’t a sport. But it requires something unnatural to play. IE skates. And is typically conducted indoors.
Do you consider NASCAR or F1 sports?

Perhaps a separate thread should be created discussing eSports in relation to “traditional” sports
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby GordonH » Dec 21st, 2018, 7:07 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Interesting. And how exactly would you define real life?

If you don't know the difference between real life & animated video games. Then you really need to get a life :D

Now I'm going back to watch a real life game... later
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 21st, 2018, 7:20 pm

You’re going back to watch a real life game? Like in “real life?” Or through your TV?

I’m just wondering where you draw the line. Because both things involve real life people using their real life honed skills and expertise to compete in real life against real life players in front of a real life audience for real life pay and awards.

The only difference is the tools involved in the game. Some use sticks, some cars, some cards, projectile weapons, some horses, and some in this case a mouse and keyboard.

If the distinction is simply the use of a computer, then should we not apply that distinction to other things? Castanet is not “real news” because it is through a computer. Or we are not having a real discussion or debate because our medium is a computer.

You didn’t answer my question though. Do you consider nascar or F1 sports?
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby Bsuds » Dec 21st, 2018, 7:58 pm

Well when you red the definition here it certainly could be classified as a Sport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

I side more with Gordon on this one though.
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11939 posts

Postby GordonH » Dec 21st, 2018, 8:12 pm

Omnitheo wrote:You’re going back to watch a real life game? Like in “real life?” Or through your TV?
Since I'm not currently in Victoria, I'm watching via TV. Those I am watching are actual real humans & not animated characters.

I’m just wondering where you draw the line. Because both things involve real life people using their real life honed skills and expertise to compete in real life against real life players in front of a real life audience for real life pay and awards.
Again those I'm currently watch are not animated, they are real live humans not computer animated characters.

The only difference is the tools involved in the game. Some use sticks, some cars, some cards, projectile weapons, some horses, and some in this case a mouse and keyboard.
Again none are real they are animated characters... just so you are aware what I consider real. Actual flesh & blood who need oxygen to live.

If the distinction is simply the use of a computer, then should we not apply that distinction to other things? Castanet is not “real news” because it is through a computer. Or we are not having a real discussion or debate because our medium is a computer.

You didn’t answer my question though. Do you consider nascar or F1 sports?
Car racing has never interested me or anything that uses animals i.e horse racing or rodeo's

Have yourself good evening Omnitheo
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 21st, 2018, 9:38 pm

Introducing the real life, non flesh and blood players for Toronto Defiant

And for Vancouver Titans

I assure you none of them are animated
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby Leifer » Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:19 am

Just my opinion of course....but sitting on your *bleep* all day clicking away on a keyboard and mouse cannot be good for your health. And these "pro" player spend allot of hours each day doing just that.

Unplug kiddos....get outside, hit the gym, hit the trail....go interact "face to face" with people.
Get out and kill your virginity before it kills you. [icon_lol2.gif]
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

GordonH likes this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 999 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 11th, 2019, 10:29 am

Leifer wrote:Just my opinion of course....but sitting on your *bleep* all day clicking away on a keyboard and mouse cannot be good for your health. And these "pro" player spend allot of hours each day doing just that.

Unplug kiddos....get outside, hit the gym, hit the trail....go interact "face to face" with people.
Get out and kill your virginity before it kills you. [icon_lol2.gif]

The current calendar year is now 2019, not 1970. You will need to accept that the world has changed. Your post is riddles with fallacies and weird biases.
Sitting on a computer all day clicking away at a keyboard and mouse is literally what most office workers in the world do for work every day. and have been doing for decades.

I'm not sure why pro is in quotation marks, as professional literally means that you do it as your job. These are fully paid players, so therefore the word is accurate.

Allot isn't a word btw.

As for going outside, hitting the gym, the trail etc. Nothing is stopping them. just like nothing stops me from doing so after work.

as for their virginity? just shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

when you have tens of thousands of people coming to watch you in person, and hundreds more watching you online or tv, you're not staying a virgin for long.

get used to it Leifer. the world is a different place now.
- Justin Trudeau

2 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby Venkman » Feb 5th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Really cool. I'd love to be skilled enough to try out for one of these teams. Do all the teams have to use the exact same control type like keyboard and mouse?

Omnitheo likes this post.
Venkman
Fledgling

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby JayByrd » Mar 9th, 2019, 12:03 pm

eSports meet the dictionary definition of sports. They are competing against each other, for entertainment. It's different from hockey or football or biathlon. That's why they call it eSport and not just sport. They're not trying to fool anyone about what they are.

Anyone is allowed to be interested in it, or not. I'm not interested in uneven parallel bars, but I wouldn't interrupt a discussion about it to make that point.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1488 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Mar 11th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Vancouver Titans remains undefeated for stage 1. They have one game remaining before the stage playoffs, and a potential to take the spot of the top team in the league from New Yoro depending how the game goes.

Aquiline group is probably excited to own a winning team at the top of the league for once [icon_lol2.gif]
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors