Question About Forestry Roads

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Question About Forestry Roads

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Would I be able to drive a 2wd car on any of these following roads? These all look like fairly important through roads, so I'm assuming there shouldn't be a problem? Don't mind if they're a bit rough (washboards, potholes, etc), just passable. I'm experienced in the bush, driven on plenty of dirt roads, but just don't have the luxury of a truck this summer. These are roads I've never travelled before, and would like to explore one or more this year. Not trying to let a lack of a truck stop me if its possible.

1. From Hwy 97C/Sunset Main Exit through to Douglas Lake area. There are 2 routes: either the powerline corridor road, or the FSR that passes to the west of Pennask Lake. I do know the road into Pennask Lake is a 4x4 road though.
2. Trapping Creek FSR through to Big White
3. 201 FSR from Big White Road, past Nevertouch Lake, through to Christian Valley
4. Connection from Christian Valley to Boundary Creek (believe its Fiva Creek FSR) This is the one I'm most unsure of.

Also, how about the trip from Grand Forks to Edgewood? This one I've done before, but not for a few years now. A few years can mean a world of difference with these types of roads.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Question About Forestry Roads

Post by Gilchy »

The 201 is the only one I’d attempt in a car. It’s not the 2WD that’s the real issue, but suspension travel and ground clearance. A lot of the washboard and potholes will grind the plastic shrouding off the underside of a car and beat the tar out of it.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Gilchy wrote:The 201 is the only one I’d attempt in a car. It’s not the 2WD that’s the real issue, but suspension travel and ground clearance. A lot of the washboard and potholes will grind the plastic shrouding off the underside of a car and beat the tar out of it.

So 201 is good to Christian Valley?
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

It was last time I drove it, *but* that was about 4 years ago, which can be a lifetime on backroads.

What are you looking to get up to?
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Gilchy wrote:It was last time I drove it, *but* that was about 4 years ago, which can be a lifetime on backroads.

What are you looking to get up to?

Just driving though, checking out Beautiful BC. I've decided I'm going to wait until I get a truck. Dammit I was especially wanting to drive the road from 97C to Douglas Lake area. Such spectacular country through there. Kind of a pain having to drive all the way to Merritt and then back track to get there, the shortcut would have been perfect.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

I don't think you can make it with your car, but I am sure I could :smt045
ol goat
Fledgling

Post by ol goat »

Douglas lake road is good in a car. I drove from 5A outside Merritt to Westwold on Tuesday with my Mini and took it slow to look at the sites. The road gets narrow towards Westwold so the biggest thing to watch for is oncoming traffic.
Ive never been from Douglas lake to 97C thou and would like to do that also just in the mini for the first time
You only get one chance to use TODAY wisely otherwise it becomes yesterday and it’s gone
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

Drove the FSR from Grand Forks to Edgewood a few weeks ago in a Honda Pilot, a car would also be fine.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

bigtimeoperations wrote:
Gilchy wrote:The 201 is the only one I’d attempt in a car. It’s not the 2WD that’s the real issue, but suspension travel and ground clearance. A lot of the washboard and potholes will grind the plastic shrouding off the underside of a car and beat the tar out of it.

So 201 is good to Christian Valley?

They had the 201 torn up and were doing culvert replacements at about the 95 kilometer mark up past the West Kettle bridge when we went fishing up to Nevertouch a couple of months ago.

We were glad we were in a high 4x4 to get through it. It may be fixed up by now, but there was no way a car would get through there at the time.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Since Industry took over management of Forest Service Roads they have steadily gone downhill. Licensees only grade them when they become too bad for trucks to safely haul. The 201 North of Big White road is a prime example. It is in worse shape than I seen in many many years, the result of trucks hauling well into breakup and tearing the road up. These spots will not be repaired of graded until another licence block is to be logged. This puts other resource users in a safety compromise position. (Fisherman, hunters, trappers, hikers, etc.) Being a commercial tenure holder (trapper) over the same tenure (BC Timber Sales) I will be reporting this to Work Safe BC as well as the Forest Practices Board. FSR's are a BC Infrastructure paid for though offset stumpage.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Ya good luck with that forestry service roads are not maintained for public use and despite what you seem to think you are just another member of joe public forestry and wcb couldnt care less about you going to your trap line on a rough road
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

4. Connection from Christian Valley to Boundary Creek (believe its Fiva Creek FSR) This is the one I'm most unsure of.

No way for Fiva, going up from christian valley is doable but going down the other has some horrible rocky downhills, with big creek size rocks.

Also, how about the trip from Grand Forks to Edgewood? This one I've done before, but not for a few years now. A few years can mean a world of difference with these types of roads.

This one has 3 actual options and each is fine in a car. Same road out of Grandfolks but then 3 different roads take you up onto the ridge, along the top and down into Edgewood. Take the most northern route.

R201 is a great road for a trip.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”