Super Bowl LVII

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.

Super Bowl LVII

Poll ended at Feb 11th, 2023, 8:31 pm

Philadelphia Eagles
45%
Kansas City Chiefs
55%

Total votes: 11

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Super Bowl LVII

Post by Urbane »

As to that holding penalty that helped decide the game it was definitely marginal. Bradberry did admit to holding though:
“It was a holding,” Bradberry told reporters after the Eagles’ 38-35 loss. “I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide.”
There was a play earlier in the game that deserves some attention too. There was a "catch" made by an Eagles player as he went out of bounds. Well, it looked like a catch to me and it looked like a catch to those calling the game. Despite what we're told all the time about how there must be indisputable evidence on replay to overturn a call (hahahahahaha) the call was overturned.

These judgment calls and controversies are simply part of the game but they don't negate the fact that this year's Super Bowl was very much worth watching. So nice not to have a yawner that's basically over at halftime. This game was exciting (almost) right to the end.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Yep. That was a catch to me too.

Both quarterbacks are classy guys. This was impressive:
330810522_1848530262182804_2169842908912076709_n.png
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

very good game start to finish.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Now, imagine if the Chiefs after deliberately NOT running in for the SURE touchdown so you can run down the clock............and you missed the field goal? Eagles would have had about a minute and 20 seconds to score a converted touchdown with no timeouts remaining to TIE the game?

I know it worked out for the Chiefs but I would have gone for that TD and let my defense finish the game.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

lesliepaul wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 12:57 pm I know it worked out for the Chiefs but I would have gone for that TD and let my defense finish the game.
Not when my defence had already been shredded for over 400 yards and given up 35 points.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Good game. I noticed there were a lot fewer penalties than you would see in the CFL where there would be about a million holding and roughing the passer penalties. You can't deny that the skill level in the NFL is light years ahead of the CFL.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jalen Hurts salary just under 1.2 million.... Patrick Mahomes 25 million, I strongly suspect Jalen’s agent will be looking to renegotiate.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

cv23 wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 2:46 pm
lesliepaul wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 12:57 pm I know it worked out for the Chiefs but I would have gone for that TD and let my defense finish the game.
Not when my defence had already been shredded for over 400 yards and given up 35 points.
The best the Eagles could have done is TIE the game in the last minute.........not win the game. Kansas defense did stop the Eagles on several possessions so I would have gone for the touchdown and hope the defense came up strong.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

lesliepaul wrote: Feb 14th, 2023, 2:11 am The best the Eagles could have done is TIE the game in the last minute.........not win the game. Kansas defense did stop the Eagles on several possessions so I would have gone for the touchdown and hope the defense came up strong.
Hope is for the desperate which is not what KC was with a first down on the Phi 1 with a minute and a half left.
What if the offence had turned over the ball on that TD attempt? Phi would have had a chance at the outright win, not just a tie, and rest assured they'd accept a Super Bowl win by field goal.
Sounds to me someone missed out on a big payoff from a bet or pool because for KC it was about finishing their season by securing a Super Bowl victory, not risking their season by doing something foolish when they had the Super bowl in the bag. We all saw the Seahawks turn the ball over on the 1 to lose the Super Bowl not so long ago and its amazing Carroll still has a job after that call to lose the prize when it was within his grasp.
Last edited by cv23 on Feb 14th, 2023, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Urbane wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 10:16 am As to that holding penalty that helped decide the game it was definitely marginal. Bradberry did admit to holding though:
“It was a holding,” Bradberry told reporters after the Eagles’ 38-35 loss. “I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide.”
There was a play earlier in the game that deserves some attention too. There was a "catch" made by an Eagles player as he went out of bounds. Well, it looked like a catch to me and it looked like a catch to those calling the game. Despite what we're told all the time about how there must be indisputable evidence on replay to overturn a call (hahahahahaha) the call was overturned.

These judgment calls and controversies are simply part of the game but they don't negate the fact that this year's Super Bowl was very much worth watching. So nice not to have a yawner that's basically over at halftime. This game was exciting (almost) right to the end.
I think that play was about control He didn't have it secured as he stepped out of bounds.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Not running the ball in forced Philly to take their final timeout. That was what won the game. KC could run the shot clock down taking a knee twice, which is what they did, and then kick the FG with 4 seconds left.

My guess is that was a called play for exactly those reasons.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

cv23 wrote: Feb 14th, 2023, 8:08 am
lesliepaul wrote: Feb 14th, 2023, 2:11 am The best the Eagles could have done is TIE the game in the last minute.........not win the game. Kansas defense did stop the Eagles on several possessions so I would have gone for the touchdown and hope the defense came up strong.
Hope is for the desperate which is not what KC was with a first down on the Phi 1 with a minute and a half left.
What if the offence had turned over the ball on that TD attempt? Phi would have had a chance at the outright win, not just a tie, and rest assured they'd accept a Super Bowl win by field goal.
Sounds to me someone missed out on a big payoff from a bet or pool because for KC it was about finishing their season by securing a Super Bowl victory, not risking their season by doing something foolish when they had the Super bowl in the bag. We all saw the Seahawks turn the ball over on the 1 to lose the Super Bowl not so long ago and its amazing Carroll still has a job after that call to lose the prize when it was within his grasp.
:spitcoffee: WHAT :spitcoffee: A :spitcoffee: RESPONSE [icon_lol2.gif] :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...........if I say anything else it would be removed............ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

lesliepaul wrote: Feb 14th, 2023, 9:46 pm
:spitcoffee: WHAT :spitcoffee: A :spitcoffee: RESPONSE [icon_lol2.gif] :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...........if I say anything else it would be removed............ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
What really is funny is that Andy Reid is a very well respected NFL coach with multiple Super Bowl rings for his smart coaching decisions and some armchair wannabee coach is using a string of emojies to try and convince us that they're supposedly a smarter play caller than the guy hoisting the Super Bowl and getting yet another ring for his collection.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Super Bowl champion Juju Smith-Schuster had the most savage Valentine's Day post. He wrote, "Happy Valentine's Day, everybody" with a card that said, "I'll hold you when it matters most" and a photo of Philadelphia Eagles cornerback James Bradberry.

The card is in reference to Bradberry's holding call in the final minutes of the Super Bowl that gave the Chiefs a first down following a third-down incompletion in the red zone. The game was tied at the time, and the first down allowed Kansas City to all but run out the clock before kicking the game-winning field goal to secure its second Super Bowl in three years.
Full article: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look ... ires-back/

Funny or mean or ?? What do you think?
Attachments
Fo9BwUWWYCMd5P2.jpeg

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”